The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amylouisec1993
Thanks. I have seen on one uni website that the course fees would be covered because it is an NHS course and there is the possibility of the NHS bursary still being available, but I am aware that most likely I would not get any maintenance loan, but by working for a year I would hopefully be able to finance myself through the course. Does anyone have any advice/views on whether my experience/academics would be appropriate for the courses I would apply for?

Just to clarify none of the Paramedic courses are NHS funded. Some unis have 'NHS funding' but this isn't like nursing courses who have NHS bursaries, this is money paid by the local health trust/local ambulance service. Funded courses are always more competitive than non funded ones. Experience wise you may want to look into getting involved with your local ambulance trust as either PTS or a community first responder. Or working in a care setting is always good experience e.g. care assistant in the community or health care assistant in a hospital. Some unis do ask for a certain amount of experience in say adult care like 6 months/ 1 year before you apply. Each uni can set its own conditions so some unis want you to have different/higher qualifications than others. Check each uni to see what they want you to have as entry requirements. Most want a science A level so alot of people struggle to get on because they don't have one. Experience - anything you have done voluntary work/job can help you get onto a course as long as you show how the skills you've got from it relate to you being a good student/paramedic.
Reply 41
Original post by xxstephxx
Hey when did you apply for WMAS and have you heard back from them yet?

I applied the first day it was published.
Not heard from them nope!
Have you?
Reply 42
Has anyone applied to greenwich for a 2015 start? I've been waiting for a few weeks now and I'm getting really nervous!!😳
Reply 43
Hey all,
I have just applied for Sheffield Hallam, Coventry , Northampton, BCU and Worcester. But I really want to go Sheffield

I don't have much experience apart from being a volunteering with the British red cross in event first aid for less than a year :frown:.
Original post by shunsley
I applied the first day it was published.
Not heard from them nope!
Have you?

I applied on 27th September which I think was the most recent one. Got the second assessment this Saturday :smile:
Reply 45
I applied on 27th September which I think was the most recent one. Got the second assessment this Saturday :smile:

What do the assessments consist of? I've got a literacy and numeracy test before I even get to go through for an interview!! Any idea what sort of stuff they cover?
Hey everyone, I've just applied for Greenwich, Bournemouth, Brighton and Edge Hill; I also applied for Swansea, what seams like ages ago. I've already been to uni once but failed miserably and dropped out after my 3rd attempt at the 2nd year, so I know I'm applying from a different perspective to some of you. I've been to the Swansea open day but I can't afford to go to any of the others mainly because of the distance. I've done virtual tours and I know some of the areas anyway but I don't know if I'll be at a disadvantage for not going.

Does anyone know how to get the C1 entitlement?
Original post by Kenny17
Has anyone applied to greenwich for a 2015 start? I've been waiting for a few weeks now and I'm getting really nervous!!������

Swansea don't look at applications till the deadline is up, maybe Greenwich do the same
Reply 48
Original post by FirstAidGirl
Hey everyone, I've just applied for Greenwich, Bournemouth, Brighton and Edge Hill; I also applied for Swansea, what seams like ages ago. I've already been to uni once but failed miserably and dropped out after my 3rd attempt at the 2nd year, so I know I'm applying from a different perspective to some of you. I've been to the Swansea open day but I can't afford to go to any of the others mainly because of the distance. I've done virtual tours and I know some of the areas anyway but I don't know if I'll be at a disadvantage for not going.

Does anyone know how to get the C1 entitlement?

Hey! Yep, you can get C1 provisional amended on your licence via DVLA. Be aware many unis require a full C1 licence entitlement by the time your due to start the course. (Don't meant to insult your intelligence if you were already aware of this).

What did you study before? I'm guessing paramedic science?... What were the in tests like? Interview?

kenny.
Reply 49
Sorry... I've heard from Greenwich now, I've got a literacy and numeracy test before going through for interview on the same day!! Really nervous about it now though..
Original post by Kenny17
What do the assessments consist of? I've got a literacy and numeracy test before I even get to go through for an interview!! Any idea what sort of stuff they cover?

Yeah its literacy numeracy and highway code first.

then the second assessment day is a problem solving task which you have to pass to carry on the day. if you pass you have a fitness test, driving test and interview.

The written tests weren't anything too difficult.
They normally send you a link when you are invited to the first one to some practice papers with similar questions. But I don't even think it was as hard as GCSE level tbh.
Highway code just make sure you know all your road signs and rules. But they aren't too difficult.

I know if you fail any part of the second assessment like if you fail the fitness test it says you can re take it or re apply. Im not sure about the first test.
Reply 51
I'm hoping to apply to Hertfordshire, UWE, BCU and Northampton (after going on the Anglia Ruskin open day I decided I really didn't like the look of the university and course structure they offered). I've pretty much finished my personal statement, however, my careers adviser at school is mentioning "real experience" through applying at St John's Ambulance or getting First Aid training. I tried previously to get onto the St John's Ambulance team but failed due to my age and competitiveness, however I will look into doing a first aid training course. As well as this I've been volunteering at a disability centre, volunteered at the children's Brownies organisation, volunteered at a teaching nursery for young children, and attended an NHS careers weekend. Do you think this is enough experience in the right areas? (I've mentioned what I've learnt from each placement in my PS).
Also, Northampton uni is mentioning an Institutes Own Test, what is this and is it something you have to do before applying?
On another note it's St John and not John's they really hate it when you say that, and I don't want silly things to stop you joining them :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 53
Yeah its literacy numeracy and highway code first.

then the second assessment day is a problem solving task which you have to pass to carry on the day. if you pass you have a fitness test, driving test and interview.

The written tests weren't anything too difficult.
They normally send you a link when you are invited to the first one to some practice papers with similar questions. But I don't even think it was as hard as GCSE level tbh.
Highway code just make sure you know all your road signs and rules. But they aren't too difficult.

I know if you fail any part of the second assessment like if you fail the fitness test it says you can re take it or re apply. Im not sure about the first test.

What uni is it that makes you take a Highway Code test? And over two days too!! I've applied to greenwich and I'm under the impression I got for one day. Starting with a literacy and numeracy test, if successfully with both then I'm asked for interview. I'm so nervous now!! I can hardly sleep at night..... And I've still got two weeks until intake the tests! Can you imagine what I'm like the day befor! Haha.
Original post by Kenny17
Hey! Yep, you can get C1 provisional amended on your licence via DVLA. Be aware many unis require a full C1 licence entitlement by the time your due to start the course. (Don't meant to insult your intelligence if you were already aware of this).

What did you study before? I'm guessing paramedic science?... What were the in tests like? Interview?

kenny.

I know about going through the DVLA for the C1 entitlement but I can't find a form to fill in or anything, only an address to write to. Only one course that I'm applying for wants the full entitlement so I've got a while to get it sorted.
(don't worry no insult taken)

I studied Forensic Science, my interview for the course was really informal but I've heard that Paramedic ones can be like interviewing for Medicine (depending where you apply). There were no entry tests or anything first time round so I have no idea what they'd be like, we do literacy and numeracy BKSB tests at college so my plan is to practice with them, I don't know if the universities use the same ones.
Original post by Kenny17
Sorry... I've heard from Greenwich now, I've got a literacy and numeracy test before going through for interview on the same day!! Really nervous about it now though..

Did you apply for Medway or Avery Hill??
Reply 56
Did you apply for Medway or Avery Hill??

Both. Only heard from London as it stands. That's my first choice anyway.
Reply 57
I know about going through the DVLA for the C1 entitlement but I can't find a form to fill in or anything, only an address to write to. Only one course that I'm applying for wants the full entitlement so I've got a while to get it sorted.
(don't worry no insult taken)

I studied Forensic Science, my interview for the course was really informal but I've heard that Paramedic ones can be like interviewing for Medicine (depending where you apply). There were no entry tests or anything first time round so I have no idea what they'd be like, we do literacy and numeracy BKSB tests at college so my plan is to practice with them, I don't know if the universities use the same ones.

You can get a form from the post office. If that fails then call the DVLA and they will be able to advise on the best action.
Original post by Kenny17
You can get a form from the post office. If that fails then call the DVLA and they will be able to advise on the best action.

Amazing, thanks for that
Reply 59
Amazing, thanks for that

I cant tell if that's sarcastic or not? Hope I haven't annoyed anyone ?!lol.

Any chance of a few tips on what to revise on reference the numeracy tests?!

Quick Reply

Latest