The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Kenny17
I cant tell if that's sarcastic or not? Hope I haven't annoyed anyone ?!lol.

Any chance of a few tips on what to revise on reference the numeracy tests?!

On one of my open days, they told us that their numeracy part of the test involved simple GCSE maths. Examples included; finding percentages, converting to percentages/decimals, converting millimetres to micrometres. As you'd be administering drugs, conversions and working out values is needed. Obviously all universities are different, but they were just a few examples you may want to consider! :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by Gina19
On one of my open days, they told us that their numeracy part of the test involved simple GCSE maths. Examples included; finding percentages, converting to percentages/decimals, converting millimetres to micrometres. As you'd be administering drugs, conversions and working out values is needed. Obviously all universities are different, but they were just a few examples you may want to consider! :smile:

I though as much! I'll be spending the next two weeks revising then! I'm soooooo nervous!!
Reply 62
Original post by Kenny17
I though as much! I'll be spending the next two weeks revising then! I'm soooooo nervous!!

Don't worry too much!!! There won't be anything that you won't be able to have a go at. Good luck!!
Reply 63
Original post by Gina19
Don't worry too much!!! There won't be anything that you won't be able to have a go at. Good luck!!

Thanks!! I'll need all the luck I can get!! I'm even contemplating leaving a 'small gift' on the table when I leave haha!!
Reply 64
Original post by Kenny17
Thanks!! I'll need all the luck I can get!! I'm even contemplating leaving a 'small gift' on the table when I leave haha!!

Hahaha!! You never know.....could determine your place or not...
Reply 65
Hi everyone! I've decided to study Paramedic science, but I don't really know how the different unis differ from each other based on entry requirements. Mostly about grades. As someone from outside of the UK and wanting to apply I want to find a uni that may not require all A grades. So I'm obviously not going for oxford or St george but is there anything you know about?

Thanks
Reply 66
Original post by Edoco
Hi everyone! I've decided to study Paramedic science, but I don't really know how the different unis differ from each other based on entry requirements. Mostly about grades. As someone from outside of the UK and wanting to apply I want to find a uni that may not require all A grades. So I'm obviously not going for oxford or St george but is there anything you know about?

Thanks

Use the ucas course search tool
Hi,

I'm starting an online Access Diploma next month, don't think I will get it finished in time to apply for 2015 though as Moderation happens in June (too early) or November (too late) Unless I can complete the full course by 3rd week in April which seems unrealistic. Anyone finished an Access course in less than a year?
Hi there, just wondered what kind of questions might be asked in the interview?
Reply 69
The 2 key ones I was asked at all my interviews were: What does a paramedic do and why do you want to be a paramedic (and not a nurse/doctor), they will probably also ask about previous experience and about any recent news about the NHS/Ambulance Service. Read over your personal statement before interview because they are likely to ask you about things you mentioned in it. Good luck with your interviews :smile:
Just thought I'd share some stuff my friend, a newly qualified nurse, has told me.

If you are going to get a fob watch there are new regulations about them, on wards anyway, you are no longer allowed metal ones because of infection. I know it's for wards atm but it'll probably be rolled out across the board soon and as some paramedic placements are on wards like maternity, it's probably worth getting a silicone one or something similar now.

My friend studdied at the same college that I'm at before uni and we use the BKSB literacy and numeracy testing stuff, she said they are good for practicing before interview if you have to do literacy and numeracy tests. I don't know if all colleges/schools use the BKSB stuff or if there is something similar but it might be worth haveing a practice on them.

She had to do literacy and numeracy tests again when she interviewed for jobs but she said they weren't too hard and most of the stress came from getting anxious before doing the tests.

Hope this is usefull to people
Reply 71
Original post by FirstAidGirl

If you are going to get a fob watch there are new regulations about them, on wards anyway, you are no longer allowed metal ones because of infection. I know it's for wards atm but it'll probably be rolled out across the board soon and as some paramedic placements are on wards like maternity, it's probably worth getting a silicone one or something similar now.

I would avoid buying anything until you start the course and find out what is and isnt provided - some people on my course purchased stethoscopes and work boots and we are being issued them for free anyway. My recommendation for a fob watch would be one of the paramedic style ones which you clip on to a belt loop.
Reply 72
Hi,
Has anyone started to hear back from their choices yet, for Para Sept 15 entry, in particular St Georges??
Lee is open for applications for March 2015 and 16.
What does the interview stage involve and how do you go about preparing for it?
Original post by kramsey
I'm applying to LJMU, Plymouth, Bournemouth, Stafford, Swansea and Teesside

Hi guys , Ucs in Ipswich is now taking applications via Ucas for March 2015 and 2016. Lee is the paramedic and course Leader- really helpful and takes time to answer questions. He is busy though. 01473 338608 or 01473 338000 http://mobile.ucs.ac.uk/courses/details?p=/Courses/UG/Paramedic-Science/BSc-(Hons)-Paramedic-Science.aspx
Original post by Edoco

Thanks

This one looks fantastic -

http://mobile.ucs.ac.uk/courses/details?p=/Courses/UG/Paramedic-Science/BSc-(Hons)-Paramedic-Science.aspx
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew about paramedic science in the south of Ireland?
Hey.

My sister is currently in year 12 and is hoping to apply to do a Paramedic Science degree next year. Although, she doesn't have any work experience. Since she's 16, could anyone point her right direction work experience-wise? This is mainly because volunteering/helping out at events/etc. requires you to be 18 or over so she's finding it difficult to get anywhere.

Thanks!
Reply 79
Has your sister considered looking towards the community rather than organisations? For example church related events.

St Johns has the cadets (http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/young-people/cadets.aspx) which from reading seems a bit like scouts.

Remember that experience doesn't have to be clinical in nature.

Quick Reply

Latest