The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2015

Hi, I could not see a thread on this so I thought I would make one. I am just starting Access to Paramedic Science course and I am applying for next year to go to Uni. Lets all club together on this thread with who is doing what and help each other out.

:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Don't all come in at once :tongue:
Reply 2
Hi! I'm applying for 2015 entry too. Where are you applying to? :smile:
Hey. I'm applying to Herts, St George's and still deciding on others. I really wanted to do 2 years, Herts just stopped and St George's are deciding still. Where you applying to
Reply 4
I'm applying to LJMU, Plymouth, Bournemouth, Stafford, Swansea and Teesside
Cool, good luck. Are you at college now?
Reply 6
Hi guys I am glad to hear you are both interested in becoming Paramedics! It was only last year when I was in the same boat as you. Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to help.

Some common topics that Paramedic applicants talk about are:

Experience,
Required grades,
Driving licence,
Interview
etc.
Thanks acer, I will be sure to ask when I have some questions :smile:
Reply 8
Hello, I am also hoping to study paramedic science. I am thinking of applying to UWE, Bournemouth, Plymouth, Worcester and Swansea. However, I am struggling to find anything that I can do as work experience to put into my personal statement... any ideas?!
Reply 9
Hi there

I have also just started my access course (Access to Health and Social Care Professions) at Accrington College this week. Looking to apply for places at UClan & Edge Hill for 2015 onwards.

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 10
Original post by lmb99
Hello, I am also hoping to study paramedic science. I am thinking of applying to UWE, Bournemouth, Plymouth, Worcester and Swansea. However, I am struggling to find anything that I can do as work experience to put into my personal statement... any ideas?!

I think it is fair to say that having some past experience which you genuinely relate to the paramedic role is a must for your interviews just since the places are so competitive.

People commonly volunteer in care, clinical or aid environments. For example:

- Health Care Assistant
- Helping in your GP surgery
- Community schemes at church or befriending the vulnerable
- Homeless outreach centers or women centers
- Hospital volunteering schemes
- Community First Responders

Have a look to see if your town/city has a volunteering network either at your town hall or online.

Keep in mind that many other applicants will also have similar backgrounds than you. I believe you are not necessarily chosen on your relation to clinical environments but rather on character and what transferable skills you have demonstrated.

Stress handling, Autonomy, Teamwork, Initiative, Analysis, Reasoning etc.

I know of Co-Op supervisors, sport coaches, reserve soldiers and so on who were good applicants. So I would invite people to consider that non-clinical experience can just be as good.
Imb99 apply to be a community responder with your local ambulance service or apply to St John's all can be done in your spare time. Apply to do ambulance pts with a private firm, that's a good start
Reply 12
Original post by paramedicman82
Imb99 apply to be a community responder with your local ambulance service or apply to St John's all can be done in your spare time. Apply to do ambulance pts with a private firm, that's a good start

I have tried to apply to St John's but it seems that you have to wait for a position to come up and there don't seem to be any at the moment? How do I apply to be a community responder?
Reply 13
Original post by lmb99
How do I apply to be a community responder?

Through your local Ambulance service. For me it was quite a lengthy process - 6 months from application to interview was my time frame. Then there is reference checking, DBS check, medical & training before you can hit the road.

St Johns isn't recruiting in my area either.

Had mixed opinions on having CFR & SJ's on applications, but I want to do CFR regardless of my Uni outcome.
Interesting that St John can have no spaces for volunteers. Clearly they have too many free staff
Reply 15
Original post by ParaBen
Had mixed opinions on having CFR & SJ's on applications, but I want to do CFR regardless of my Uni outcome.

It mgiht be because ambulance services and SJA are reluctant to give training to individuals who leave after one year for uni.
Reply 16
Hi guys! I've got a place at Sheffield Hallam for 2015 start....anyone else considering applying there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by mjpeters
Hi guys! I've got a place at Sheffield Hallam for 2015 start....anyone else considering applying there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats, I'm also in the north but not at Sheffield Hallam.
I am going to apply for St George's, Hertfordshire, Greenwich, Oxford and Northampton.
Thought we would be more active with people applying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest