The Student Room Group

what a-levels should you take to do physics/engineering?

which is a better combination:

maths, physics, chemistry and german

or

maths, physics, further maths and german?

(doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry is probably the best, but i don't want to drop german or do 5)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by tanyapotter

or

(doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry is probably the best, but i don't want to drop german or do 5)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Further Maths. The more maths you know, the better.
Original post by AlphaNick
no do physics maths further maths and chemistry, dont do german unless you get a choice of 5

but i really like german and loathe chemistry :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Physics, Maths, Further Maths, and German.

Chemistry won't really offer you any advantage (unless you want to do ChemEng, but i'm assuming not if you loathe it). Further maths will be very useful for when you start.
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and German. I am doing the same only that with Spanish instead of German. The 4th subject doesn't really matter and you don't need chemistry, so go with what you like most.:smile:
yeah physics, maths, further maths and german
I'm with you on the language thing, I did french A level and I'm doing a physics degree

or

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you should do German as a language is always valued by unis and employers, and opens up your options.
And do further maths rather than chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

or

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely maths, physics, further maths and German. FM is useful for either degree, and if you hate chemistry, there is absolutely no point in taking it to A level - mainly because you're not going to be able to motivate yourself to revise. And besides, a language is really valued by employers!
(edited 9 years ago)
i'm doing maths, further maths, physics and german!! woo that's a huge relief :smile: i know taking 5 with chemistry would be ideal and open up all possibilities, but i'm simply not hard-working enough to do well in all 5 and not jeopardise one a-level or the other.

btw i'm not interested in chemical engineering :smile: aeronautics, astrophysics, quantum mechanics etc appeal to me the most so hopefully i've made the right choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Georgiecat
Definitely maths, physics, further maths and German. If you hate chemistry, there is absolutely no point in taking it to A level - mainly because you're not going to be able to motivate yourself to revise. And besides, a language is really valued by employers!

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest