The Student Room Group

Be honest. Are my A-Levels worth it?

I'm absolutely loving college!
I'm studying:
English Lit (It's been slow so far, but this is the essential one)
History (First lesson tomorrow, cannot wait)
Philosophy (I had a poor attitude approaching it, but it's not terrible. How is it regarded?)
Film Studies (Love it. So easy. Not sure if its worth it though)

Planning to be a history teacher. It's just that, with the two weeks. I'm wondering whether to change, if so, I don't mind taking up: Sports BTEC, Geography or Classics.
I might not be able to change, but I would look in to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Ditch film studies. Easy but embarassing.
An A in film studies is better than a C in something else. I'd stick with whatever are your strengths.
Reply 3
Original post by ThePoster
An A in film studies is better than a C in something else. I'd stick with whatever are your strengths.

Rather have a borderline E in physics than an A* 100% UMS in film studies if I'm honest.
Reply 4
Your first three subjects are all very good. I wouldn't take film studies to A2, but as your fourth subject it's somewhat less of an issue. If you think you might want to ditch philosophy then i'd probably switch film studies to geography/classics.
Reply 5
Looks pretty good :smile:

Just carry on your choices unless you dislike one of your subjects, then swap it asap!

(loving the same old TSR overemphasized reaction to subjects which aren't considered facilitating)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Omega3!
Rather have a borderline E in physics than an A* 100% UMS in film studies if I'm honest.

All that really does is prove you can't do physics. If there is any course or university that wouldn't accept film studies at an A grade, you can bet they wouldn't accept an E in a harder subject.

I'm no expert, mind.
Reply 7
I've just finished my A Levels and came out with an A in film studies and I think it's totally worth it. It's not what anybody thinks it is, I learnt an awful lot about society in it and it really changes the way you think about things. It wouldn't be a valid A Level if it wasn't worth doing. I know I'm biased because I did it and enjoyed it but if you end up really liking it, don't be embarrassed to be doing it, it's a great, creative subject which really opens your mind.
Reply 8
Original post by ThePoster
All that really does is prove you can't do physics. If there is any course or university that wouldn't accept film studies at an A grade, you can bet they wouldn't accept an E in a harder subject.

I'm no expert, mind.

Proves you can do physics do an E grade standard, which I'd personally prefer over film studies to an A* grade standard.

Don't know / care about what courses or university want though to be fair - just talking about me personally.
Reply 9
Wow. Might scrap Film....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Geography is a great A level would highly recommend it if you're going to swap anything
Original post by Omega3!
Proves you can do physics do an E grade standard, which I'd personally prefer over film studies to an A* grade standard.

Don't know / care about what courses or university want though to be fair - just talking about me personally.

Surely that's the point of A-levels, but you're allowed your opinion. I didn't do either subject. I find your stance a tad illogical though, without meaning offence.
Original post by Omega3!

That's a bit extreme don't you think?
Reply 13
Original post by crayolaguy
That's a bit extreme don't you think?

Nope, I'd rather know 40% of the things taught in physics than 100% of the things taught in film.
It depends on where you are applying I think.

And even then, if you can ace the other subjects why worry?

But if you are thinking Oxbridge, change it for classics/geography and you still have to ace them all.
Reply 15
Thanks to all.

I'm looking at Durham for History, but its early days yet. Made the hard choice to swap Film Studies when the window opens, considering:
Geography, Classics, BTEC Sport (Yes, I know but look at my other courses)

Film just feels like a 'Hobby' course. Its a shame, I honestly love it, but its not right for my future. I don't mind BTEC.
Original post by DebkoX
I'm absolutely loving college!
I'm studying:
English Lit (It's been slow so far, but this is the essential one)
History (First lesson tomorrow, cannot wait)
Philosophy (I had a poor attitude approaching it, but it's not terrible. How is it regarded?)
Film Studies (Love it. So easy. Not sure if its worth it though)

Planning to be a history teacher. It's just that, with the two weeks. I'm wondering whether to change, if so, I don't mind taking up: Sports BTEC, Geography or Classics.
I might not be able to change, but I would look in to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're great and fine for History. English Literature, History and Philosophy are all considered facilitating.

But if you still have the chance, change Film Studies to something like Geography or Classics even if you're going to drop it after AS. It just looks better.
Reply 17
Original post by yellowcopter
They're great and fine for History. English Literature, History and Philosophy are all considered facilitating.

But if you still have the chance, change Film Studies to something like Geography or Classics even if you're going to drop it after AS. It just looks better.

Thank you, I'm just gonna change Film for sure. Maybe even RS.
Original post by DebkoX
Thank you, I'm just gonna change Film for sure. Maybe even RS.

RS is a strong subject and very well respected at A-level; there's no reason to change it.
Reply 19
Original post by Pectorac
RS is a strong subject and very well respected at A-level; there's no reason to change it.

Huh? I'm changing Film.

Oh, my wording sucked! For rs!

Quick Reply

Latest