The Student Room Group

Applying to YOUR STRENGTHS. Info inside!

I feel like we should have a thread on here on applying to your strengths. I know there is a page on the wiki about it, but it hasn't been updated in 2 years and here we can discuss it rather than just read.

I'm only applying for the first time (in upper 6th) however I've spent a long time on here stalking medicine applicants (more than I care to admit!) and constantly see people applying to places they don't stand a chance with due to the uni favouring a certain element of an application which is weak in theirs, and obviously getting rejected, simply because their decisions aren't informed enough.

Obviously I don't know about EVERY medical school but I know a thing or two about quite a lot. I'll start off this thread, and hope other members will post about different preferred entry criteria about other universities.

Remember also that just because a website says it needs two C's in English and Maths, and 4 other passes (or something) it doesn't mean you will be considered with these minimum requirements. This is where applications become ambiguous and this is how applicants become misled and make uninformed decisions.

"UKCAT" unis
(i.e don't apply here if you don't have a comfortable 690, unless noted otherwise)

Nottingham (70% of application based on UKCAT)
Newcastle (2013 cut off: 745)
Queen's University Belfast (points system in accordance with GCSEs - see below)
Edinburgh (need a high UKCAT)
Glasgow (ranked on UKCAT)
Manchester (ranked on UKCAT)
Southampton (2013 cut off: 700)
Aberdeen (cut off normally around 695)
Kings College London (should have around 725)

"GCSE" unis
(universities that massively favour applicants with high GCSE scores)

Oxford (at least 80, but normally 90 percent of your grades A*s)
Birmingham (7A* minimum)
Edinburgh (should have about 8A*s realistically)
Cardiff (need around 8A* the way their points work)
Queen's University Belfast (where average GCSEs can be made up by a high UKCAT - see below)
Kings College London

Queens Belfast use a unique points system, where

GCSE A* = 4 points
GCSE A = 3 points

for your top 9 GCSEs. This is given a score out of a maximum 36. UKCAT scores are then factored in whereby the following band score corresponds to the number of extra points you have

Band scoreScoring Range
01200-1899
11900-2099
22100-2299
32300-2499
42500-2699
52700-2899
62900-3600

Both factors are then ranked out of 42. In recent years, you have needed 37 points for an interview. So if you have 9A* at GCSE, you will only need 1 or 2 points in the UKCAT points system to secure an interview. Similarly if you have 5A*4A at GCSE, scoring 32 points, getting 6 points in your UKCAT (725) would nearly guarantee an interview.

Feel free to add more!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
DON'T USE UKCAT

Liverpool (strong personal statement)
Birmingham (strong GCSEs)
Bristol (strong personal statement)
Leeds (BMAT)
UCL (BMAT)
Imperial (BMAT)
Cambridge (BMAT)
Oxford (BMAT)
Brighton and Sussex (BMAT)

Reply 2
Accept A*AB predictions for A2

Keele university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Leeds - very specific about PS content, have to tick off all their requirements to get a high PS score.

Edinburgh - need perfect or very near perfect academic score. Hate resits. No interview, so competing with very bright nerds!

Birmingham - high interview to offer ratio. If you're good at MMI and have the A*s at GSCE, can be a safeish bet.

Bristol - it's all about the PS - 80%. They like a bit of a type.
Original post by cestlavie10
I feel like we should have a thread on here on applying to your strengths. I know there is a page on the wiki about it, but it hasn't been updated in 2 years and here we can discuss it rather than just read.

I'm only applying for the first time (in upper 6th) however I've spent a long time on here stalking medicine applicants (more than I care to admit!) and constantly see people applying to places they don't stand a chance with due to the uni favouring a certain element of an application which is weak in theirs, and obviously getting rejected, simply because their decisions aren't informed enough.

Obviously I don't know about EVERY medical school but I know a thing or two about quite a lot. I'll start off this thread, and hope other members will post about different preferred entry criteria about other universities.

Remember also that just because a website says it needs two C's in English and Maths, and 4 other passes (or something) it doesn't mean you will be considered with these minimum requirements. This is where applications become ambiguous and this is how applicants become misled and make uninformed decisions.

"UKCAT" unis
(i.e don't apply here if you don't have a comfortable 690, unless noted otherwise)

Nottingham (70% of application based on UKCAT)
Newcastle (2013 cut off: 745)
Queen's University Belfast (points system in accordance with GCSEs - see below)
Edinburgh (need a high UKCAT)
Glasgow (ranked on UKCAT)
Manchester (ranked on UKCAT)
Southampton (2013 cut off: 700)
Aberdeen (cut off normally around 695)
Kings College London (should have around 725)

"GCSE" unis
(universities that massively favour applicants with high GCSE scores)

Oxford (at least 80, but normally 90 percent of your grades A*s)
Birmingham (7A* minimum)
Edinburgh (should have about 8A*s realistically)
Cardiff (need around 8A* the way their points work)
Queen's University Belfast (where average GCSEs can be made up by a high UKCAT - see below)
Kings College London

Queens Belfast use a unique points system, where

GCSE A* = 4 points
GCSE A = 3 points

for your top 9 GCSEs. This is given a score out of a maximum 36. UKCAT scores are then factored in whereby the following band score corresponds to the number of extra points you have

Band scoreScoring Range
01200-1899
11900-2099
22100-2299
32300-2499
42500-2699
52700-2899
62900-3600

Both factors are then ranked out of 42. In recent years, you have needed 37 points for an interview. So if you have 9A* at GCSE, you will only need 1 or 2 points in the UKCAT points system to secure an interview. Similarly if you have 5A*4A at GCSE, scoring 32 points, getting 6 points in your UKCAT (725) would nearly guarantee an interview.

Feel free to add more!

Brilliant thread and I'm fully going to support you :smile:
Its a good idea, but it would be infinitely more useful with linked and dated sources. That's generally where the many efforts to do similar start to fall down.
Reply 6
St Andrews- UKCAT 2963 average for acceptance this year
Reply 7
Nice thread! I am a gap year applicant with A*A*A at A level though so criteria slightly changes for me :smile:
Reply 8
BUMP
Reply 9
Last year if you didnt have AAA at AS (generally including chem) OR 9A*'s at GCSE Leeds didnt even read your PS hence auto rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
If you have decent academics and or UKCAT avoid places with strong PS emphasis as unlike those things the PS is an unknown quantity and there's lots of safer options

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
When applying pick
1) Risky/borderline place which you love
2) safe options which you believe you're essentially guaranteed to get interviews at
1) middle place which you have a good chance of an interview at. (eg not 100% safe because perhaps it uses PS a lot and obviously this is an unknown in your application)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sambo2
St Andrews- UKCAT 2963 average for acceptance this year

Not true!!! Source?
Reply 13
Original post by aspiring_dr
Not true!!! Source?

http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/#

True - "The UKCAT test can vary each year. The overall average for those who sat the test in the summer of 2013 (applying for 2014 entry) was higher than the previous year. For 2013 entry the average UKCAT for those given an offer for a medical place at St Andrews was 2740 and for 2014 entry the average for those given an offer was 2963. We cannot judge what the UKCAT scores for our applicants will be for 2015 entry."
Original post by Sambo2
http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/#

True - "The UKCAT test can vary each year. The overall average for those who sat the test in the summer of 2013 (applying for 2014 entry) was higher than the previous year. For 2013 entry the average UKCAT for those given an offer for a medical place at St Andrews was 2740 and for 2014 entry the average for those given an offer was 2963. We cannot judge what the UKCAT scores for our applicants will be for 2015 entry."

:frown: :frown: that's not good!! Do you think averages will be down significantly this year? I have 630 B1 (I know, terrible) so do you St. Andrews or Aberdeen??
Reply 15
Original post by Jatyization
I got bad AS grades but good GCSE's, do you think Birmingham is a good choice? I really liked the med school but stayed away as it is very heavy on academics.

GCSE's: 8 A*s
AS-Levels: A bio, B chem, C psychology and C physics

AAA predictions. Will it be wise to apply or look elsewhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's you're ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aspiring_dr
:frown: :frown: that's not good!! Do you think averages will be down significantly this year? I have 630 B1 (I know, terrible) so do you St. Andrews or Aberdeen??

I think 2014 averages were also really high so i'm almost certain those UKCAT averages will also fall. St Andrews may have a high average but that doesn't mean it doesn't accept a wide range of scores.
Reply 17
Original post by Jatyization
605... but Birmingham don't use UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd probably be okay with Birmingham but there will be lots of stronger applicants so it'd depend a lot on your PS I imagine.
You could consider QUB where youd have a really strong shot, or Cardiff and Keele.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KCL wants 730 not 725 (got 725 last year with 10A*, A*A*A predictions, good ps etc = rejected); academics can't make up for poor score.
Reply 19
I don't think Birmingham need 7A* at GCSE, they just want A* in English Pang, maths and sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending