The Student Room Group

Lnat 2014/2015

Basically I couldn't see an LNAT forum for this year so I'd thought I would make one, mainly because I have a question.

Is it worth stating your main argument in the introduction, and when stating your weaker argument disprove it afterwards? Or should I keep it balanced throughout and come to my conclusion at the end?

Any help appreciated!
Hey, I have some questions about the LNAT.

1.) I'm wanting to take the LNAT pretty soon (oct/nov) am I able to do this even if I'm not applying to a university that requires it?
2.) How long is your LNAT score valid/available for?
3.) Can you take the LNAT more then once? like over and over again?
4.) How long is the LNAT exam?
5.) What is deemed as a good score?
6.) If you get a bad score, does this show to every uni even if you don't state it?

Thanks xxx
Reply 2
You should tell the reader what you are going to argue at the outset.

I think by your second option you mean to suggest an essay where the reader can't tell what your position is until you suddenly introduce it in your final paragraph. This is a bad essay. You need to have an argument from start to finish, so that the reader can see that your conclusion is just that - something that follows from the series of points (along with objections and responses) you have made so far.

I get the impression that a lot of students are taught at school to write discursive essays that consist simply of a list of opinions on either side of a debate, and then a final paragraph pretty much arbitrarily taking one side or the other. If that's what you've been taught you need to unlearn it before you write the LNAT essay.
Reply 3
Original post by EmilyandHarvey
Hey, I have some questions about the LNAT.

1.) I'm wanting to take the LNAT pretty soon (oct/nov) am I able to do this even if I'm not applying to a university that requires it?
2.) How long is your LNAT score valid/available for?
3.) Can you take the LNAT more then once? like over and over again?
4.) How long is the LNAT exam?
5.) What is deemed as a good score?
6.) If you get a bad score, does this show to every uni even if you don't state it?

Thanks xxx

First off all, why on earth would you take the LNAT if you're not applying to an LNAT university?

I don't really understand your second question, but your LNAT is valid as long as you're applying to LNAT unis

As far as I'm aware you can only take it once, Pretty sure it would be ridiculous if you could, everyone that did badly would just do it again.

This is off the top of my head so I may be slightly wrong. The multiple question section is around 95minutes and the essay 45 minutes.

Good score is probably around 22 on average, I think anything over 25 is very good

The LNAT will show to every LNAT university you apply for, you can't "hide it". The same way you can't "hide" any of your A level results. If you do badly but apply to some non LNAT unis, they won't care.
Reply 4
Original post by Estreth
You should tell the reader what you are going to argue at the outset.

I think by your second option you mean to suggest an essay where the reader can't tell what your position is until you suddenly introduce it in your final paragraph. This is a bad essay. You need to have an argument from start to finish, so that the reader can see that your conclusion is just that - something that follows from the series of points (along with objections and responses) you have made so far.

I get the impression that a lot of students are taught at school to write discursive essays that consist simply of a list of opinions on either side of a debate, and then a final paragraph pretty much arbitrarily taking one side or the other. If that's what you've been taught you need to unlearn it before you write the LNAT essay.

So we should definitely assert our position on the argument from the introduction as opposed to doing the typical undecided introduction, argue both sides, then come to your decision in the conclusion?
Reply 5
Original post by kys5
So we should definitely assert our position on the argument from the introduction as opposed to doing the typical undecided introduction, argue both sides, then come to your decision in the conclusion?

Yes - because you shoudn't be 'coming to a decision', but rather making an argument, and presenting two sides of a debate without entering into it yoursef is not making an argument.
Reply 6
Original post by Estreth
Yes - because you shoudn't be 'coming to a decision', but rather making an argument, and presenting two sides of a debate without entering into it yoursef is not making an argument.

I agree. I think we should be taught to do that throughout school but it was rather drilled into us during gcse history
Hi everyone :smile:

Im going to book my LNAT this weekend, but I just wondered how everyone else is preparing for it? Or people who have done it previously how did you prepare? Did anyone hire a "coach" for it at all?!

Ive been doing practice tests online so far
:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by fiapesce
For an argumentative essay would the format be
-intro/thesis
-1st point
-2nd point
-counter argument and refutation
-conclusion?

Also would all the topics pertain to UK domestic affairs? I'm from the US, and I've been losing my mind trying to get a sense of UK political system, parties and social issues...

There is no one set format that you need to follow, but you do need to set out your own argument and respond to possible challenges to it. The skeleton you suggest above reflects that.

Insofar as the topics relate to any country's politics it will be the UK's, but they're not so specific as to require any detailed knowledge of the UK political system.
Reply 9
I'll probably be the last one to take it for Sept.2015 entry, doing it on the 19th of Jan.

Any last advice for a fellow struggling student :biggrin: - My main struggle is the broad question of the essay.
Reply 10
Original post by Rian7
I'll probably be the last one to take it for Sept.2015 entry, doing it on the 19th of Jan.

Any last advice for a fellow struggling student :biggrin: - My main struggle is the broad question of the essay.

Use the LNAT simulator to practice writing the essay within the time limit and without spellcheck or the dotted red underlines you get on MS Word.

Regarding the broad questions, try not to answer all possible points you can think of for that topic as you only have a set time and about 600-700 words. Instead, try and focus on 3/4 focussed points that you feel are the most relevant or important (inc. a counter argument to one or more of the points). That way, your argument will be more concise and focussed rather than "rambling". Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by aneeshaj
Use the LNAT simulator to practice writing the essay within the time limit and without spellcheck or the dotted red underlines you get on MS Word.

Regarding the broad questions, try not to answer all possible points you can think of for that topic as you only have a set time and about 600-700 words. Instead, try and focus on 3/4 focussed points that you feel are the most relevant or important (inc. a counter argument to one or more of the points). That way, your argument will be more concise and focussed rather than "rambling". Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much indeed for the reply. Unfortunately I've got all macs in my house, so i can't really download the simulator as it doesn't support mac, heard its useful and helped people :frown:

What i did instead, was collect all the LNAT questions that came up and now have got around 25 questions and bought 420 MCQs of LNAT papers with MS from Ebay and just going to practice and check the marks.

The essay questions are really tricky tho, i can barely do one and i read newspapers everyday.. Maybe is just me but the others seem so confusing. One i encountered was > 'Sports is war minus guns and fighting' How far do you agree with this statement.. O.O wt..
Just wondering if anyone has taken the LNAT recently? and if so, what the essay questions were like? reading about current affairs but im not sure what to read and what not to bother with?
Reply 13
Original post by cfahy311
Just wondering if anyone has taken the LNAT recently? and if so, what the essay questions were like? reading about current affairs but im not sure what to read and what not to bother with?

The essay questions are quite broad, and it's hard to tell what topics it will be on. You do not need to give specific facts and data in the essay question, your own, well argued opinion is what they are looking for. So instead of trying to read up on all current affairs, perhaps finding an issue raised in a newspaper that you know nothing about and writing an essay on it, arguing your points would be a better and more efficient way to prep! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would I get UCL with a 26 on the LNAT? Has anyone gotten UCL yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending