The Student Room Group

Employment, gap years and application.

Hey guys :smile:
I am desperate for some advice at the moment involving my university application. Basically, due to not receiving any offers this year, I am currently on my gap year, I have completed finished my A Levels and don't have to do any resits (so I'm not). So during my gap year I have been trying to get a job, to strengthen my application. I have been looking for Health Care Assistant Jobs as I want to go into Occupational Therapy.

Recently, I have been informed that I have received a job at my local Hospital however, apparently, resource is very backed up and none of the paper work to get my references through or to get my DBS done has been sent out and therefore, at the moment I am still unemployed. I have phoned up and everything and they have confirmed.

I just want to know, would it look bad if I am not in employment by the time I apply for university in November? (deadline for my college)
Would it weaken my application?
Would it deter universities from accepting me, even if I otherwise have a very strong application?
What happens if my new job go back on their word and decide not to take me on after all?

Please, I am really stressing out about all of this :/
Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
Sounds stressful!

I would say, by november you should know whether the hospital is taking you on, so maybe chuck it somewhere in your PS, you might not be able to say "I have learnt x, y, z, from working here", but you could say "I am looking forward to gaining experience in a, b, c etc..."

If they dont offer you a place, I'm not really sure, I'm not in a position to say it would weaken your application. But having that job would certainly help a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending