The Student Room Group

Predicted Grades

My school are tough when it comes to predicting grades for A Level, they won't bump you a grade up, persuading teachers etc just isn't going to work.
Because my school are all about waving their statistics over the place, they make us apply to Uni's that we can definitely get into so they can maintain their "100% got into their first uni choice" statistic.
We've been told countless times that our predicted grades are just our AS Level grades and won't be bumped up. For example I achieved AAAA at AS Level and for the Law courses I want to do, it requires an A*AA prediction, their suggestion would be for me to apply to these universities anyway and see how it goes. Obviously UnI's like UCL won't look at me twice, when they have candidates applying for the same course with A*A*A* predictions!!!

I'm going to talk to a teacher today personally about my predictions because I've heard a few people are being predicted up because they achieved close to 100% in the exams.

For my politics AS Level I got 100 UMS in one paper and 80 in another, surely that averages out to 90? Do you think they should predict me an A* grade?

Also my History was 89 UMS in both papers, that's close to a 90, so shouldn't they also predict that to an A*?!?!

It's ridiculous because I bet they won't.

Also a few of my friends are re taking some modules so they can gain higher predictions however my school don't take re takes into account. So really we're all screwed and will have to apply to 'comfortable' uni's as my head puts it, this completely prevents us from going to the places we want to.
Reply 1
That's so cruel :frown:

Here, I just tell my referee what predicted grades I want and they just put it in like that. But hey, I'm asking for 2A* because I got 90 in those subjects at AS :biggrin: #internationalstudent

Get your parents involve and fight for those predicted A*!!
It's a tough situation to be in, my school was similarly strict (you could only get predicted A* with 95+ UMS in the majority of subjects). I think it would be worth getting your parents involved if you really feel that you need an A* prediction, and if you can't get it maybe see if the school will mention in your reference that, although you got 90 UMS at AS, they only predicted you an A because it's their policy not to predict A*s?
Bear in mind that even if you don't get in this year due to low predictions, once you actually have your A2 grades you can apply again, and then predictions don't matter.

Quick Reply

Latest