The Student Room Group

Bad reference- affect my chances?

Hi

basically i saw a bit of my biology reference today in the form and it was completely negative about everything, mainly because i told the teacher i didn't find it interesting. She said that i did not apply myself at all (which is completely untrue) and that my result reflects this. The whole thing just seems very spiteful because of the fact that i do not enjoy her subject.

I'll be applying with an AAA prediction to places like warwick, york and manchester. Is this bad reference for biology going to significantly worsen my chances? Is there anything i can do about it?

I'll be dropping the subject for A2 but it still really annoys me when all my other references are excellent.

Thanks,
Alex

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As long as you're not applying for biology and all your other references are good then I can't see any obvious problems. If you're invited to an interview and it's brought up, don't go on the defensive - use it as a chance to prove yourself. I hope you get the uni offers you want :smile:
Reply 2
The teacher who writes your reference for ucas isn't allowed to give you a negative one. Perhaps the refernce that goes onto the ucas form will be a mix of all the good points on the references from your other teachers.
Reply 3
Do UCAS not see all the individual subject tutor references?
Reply 4
Alex_K
Do UCAS not see all the individual subject tutor references?

They just see one reference, and it's quite likely to be a compiled one involving the different elements of each individual PS.
Reply 5
Unless they're things that can be backed up (eg Alex K is not punctual and has been late for 90% of lessons this year) they can't really be included. And as it's just 1 bad subject reference out of 4, whoever compiles the final reference will probably leave it out.

If you are worried, then try to discuss it with your form tutor. Really, the school want to get rid of you, so don't want to hinder your chances!
Reply 6
Why are teachers not allowed to say bad things about you in your reference? Forgive me, but we all have strengths and weaknesses, and to leave out the weaknesses would (imo) give an unrealistic image of the student.
Reply 7
Angelil
Why are teachers not allowed to say bad things about you in your reference? Forgive me, but we all have strengths and weaknesses, and to leave out the weaknesses would (imo) give an unrealistic image of the student.

It's OK putting weaknesses, but there's a difference between that and putting excessively bad things. But there's a limit on how long references can be, so they normally try to concentrate on the good things, as they just can't fit everything
Reply 8
Angelil

Because no-one else does, really, and so to be treated differently puts you at a disadvantage. Obviously actually lying is out of the question, but generally they'll put your strenghts on, but not your weaknesses. So on any points that aren't addressed (for example, in my case, organisation), the universities will simply assume that it's not a strength.
Reply 9
The thing is i wouldn't mind so much if i hadn't ever met my deadline's and had been disruptive all year. But i never missed a deadline, had excellent attendance and went on all the field trips (even though i didn't have to because i was dropping it). This is done purely on the fact that i didn't show enthusiasm for the subject.

I have half a mind to phone the school about it.
Reply 10
Go for it, what have you got to lose?
Reply 11
ive got a different type of problem to this threads starter. I got AAC in my english As (80% exactly for both A's) and 1 of my teacher is saying she will predict me a b but why, im only like 7 marks of an A and ive worked hard all year, never missed a lesson and met all deadlines.
Reply 12
Unfortunately working hard all year, attending all lessons and meeting all deadlines isn't a guarantor of an A grade. The only solution is to talk to the teacher and get a fuller explanation.....
Reply 13
well getting AAC bloody is because im onli 1 mark of a b in that c grade module and they predicted me a bloody d so ive surpassed all that. What to do you think is say to them becos im bloody annoyed
Reply 14
Try that in English?
Reply 15
ok lol well i think i shoud be predicted an A because i got mod scores of AAC. I was only predicted a D but ive got myself a B so surely i can do even better. What do you think i say to my teahcer.
You're not taking biology or anything related to it at uni and your other references are good, so I can't see it really affecting you. When your form tutor or whoever it is that writes your reference condenses all the subject references into your UCAS reference, they can't actually change what your biology teacher has said, but they can rephrase/leave out particularly negative bits. I'd have a word with your biology teacher and try to get it changed though. If you've been a hard working student with good attendance all year, she can't give you a bad reference just because you don't like her subject. That's pathetic, spiteful and plain unprofessional. If she won't change it, ask your form tutor or head of sixth form to speak to her about it.
giggsy
ive got a different type of problem to this threads starter. I got AAC in my english As (80% exactly for both A's) and 1 of my teacher is saying she will predict me a b but why, im only like 7 marks of an A and ive worked hard all year, never missed a lesson and met all deadlines.

As Angelil said, although working hard, having good attendance and meeting deadlines is obviously great, it still doesn't mean you'll get an A. I got a B (3 marks off an A) for AS English lit with ABB in the modules and my teacher did predict me an A because I was so close, but I ended up with a B (4 marks off an A) at A-level. There's no point being predicted a grade if you're not going to get it. I'm not saying you won't get an A just because I didn't, but A2 is much harder than AS and you'll have to carry on being as good a student as you were this year just to maintain your B, never mind get it up to an A. If you want to be predicted an A, the best thing you can do is resit the module you got a C in to hopefully get your grade up (I didn't resit anything, which is probably where I went wrong) and remind your teacher of how dedicated you are, which shows you have the motivation to succeed and will do what it takes to get that A.
Reply 18
but the c is in a courseworek module and they said leave it as it is
giggsy
but the c is in a courseworek module and they said leave it as it is

Oh. Well, in that case, you'll just have to promise to try harder for A2 coursework (if you do it) and keep working as hard as you have this year. As your teacher sees how determined you are to get an A and knows you're a good student, they might predict you one.

Latest

Trending

Trending