The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Accommodation advice for freshers

Hello! I have just graduated from the Uni and wanted to give an advice to new students about their accommodation.
A lot of people, when they come to Coventry for the first time and start looking for accommodation, go to Future Lets. My advice is not to hurry with the agency choice, as me personally and many of my friends had issues with them concerning internet connection and deposits return. If you wish to know details, feel free to contact me.
Stay cool, good luck to everybody!
Reply 1
Hi! I will come to UK for my first time and I would like to know a few things about accommodation.
For example if I rent room in a house but after a few months I want to change my accommodation would it be ok? There would be extra charges or I would be obliged to stay for the rest of my contract?
Also, I plan to return home for 3 weeks during the winter holiday, I guess I will have to pay for my accommodation anyway?
I am also curious if it is usual to get scammed renting private accommodation. If it is what would be the things to look after?
Thanks a lot!
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Hiya! Usually if you wanna change the place you have to find someone to replace you. Or some agencies can do it themselves, but you will loose couple of months rent.
About the rent during holidays - it depends on the landlord. One of my friends didn't pay for the whole summer, but I never heared about such short time tbh.
What is scammed renting?
Private accommodation you mean, not from the Uni? This is waaaay better. Nobody I know stayed with them for the second year. You don't have any freedom there, have to register your guests, can't party :wink: Better look for other agencies, not Future Lets. From my personal experience I can recommend Empire agency, I have friends to whom they returned full deposit at the end, while FL usually charge everybody at least 60 pounds, even if you left the property in a perfect condition. Someone told me Blue Wood is a good agency, but I can't say for sure. Anyway, what I really recommend to do - is to insist on an initial inspection of the property when you moved in. Make them note everything what's broken or dirty, so that they won't charge you for this in the end of the contract.
Original post by Shakhanova
Hello! I have just graduated from the Uni and wanted to give an advice to new students about their accommodation.
A lot of people, when they come to Coventry for the first time and start looking for accommodation, go to Future Lets. My advice is not to hurry with the agency choice, as me personally and many of my friends had issues with them concerning internet connection and deposits return. If you wish to know details, feel free to contact me.
Stay cool, good luck to everybody!

Hey, do you know anything about Victoria Hall private accommodation? :smile:
Reply 4
nah, don't have anybody who lived there. But I think it should be the same as other Uni halls - you can't party, can't bring guests, etc. It is always better to rent a house. There are a lot of agencies working in Cov, and half of the city is rented out to students :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you for your help!
English is not my mother language. This is what I meant by scamming:
Noun1.scam - a fraudulent business scheme

Basically, I was asking if there are common issues with renting from private owners.
Also, I would like to find a part-time job as soon as possible. What do you advise? :smile:
Reply 6
Hey. Yeah, the most common issues are with deposits. You need to make sure that your deposit is protected. There are several systems from government, for example, Deposit Protection (DPS).
About part-time jobs... Don't really know, looking for one myself now. Just google it :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest