The Student Room Group

Variables of Hoflings experiment.

Hello. Sorry if the following question seems basic, I have had only one psychology lesson but I have done quite a bit of reading ahead and around the subject.
What is the independent variable for Hoflings study on obedience(1966), I cannot see any clear variable and if not what would it be(I assume experiments need variables).
Reply 1
I'm pretty sure that there is no independent variable in the study as the same procedures were used with each participant (some may say that the participant is the I.v, but it's really not).

An independent variable is something that is changed, so an example of this would be if the nurses were asked to administer different dosages of a drug to the patient.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay- I thought there was no independent variable and I guess I was correct. The main problem was that I thought experiments needed them- would you still call it an experiment or would it be an observation or something?
Reply 3
Original post by Wilson Wilson
Okay- I thought there was no independent variable and I guess I was correct. The main problem was that I thought experiments needed them- would you still call it an experiment or would it be an observation or something?

It would be a field experiment as the study aims to measure behaviour in a natural environment, while still using researcher manipulation (the ordering of the drug). An observation requires no interference at all, whereas a laboratory experiment requires good control of variables such as heat and noise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
^Ahh okay- thank you- sorry about asking this it seems a little basic. I read the definition of an experiment and I thought that the manipulation meant the IV but it now seems to make more sense that it is just an alteration.
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending