The Student Room Group
Yes I'd like to read people's opinions/experiences on this subject too. Is it possible to get a decent job without having a degree?
Reply 2
ButterCookie
Yes I'd like to read people's opinions/experiences on this subject too. Is it possible to get a decent job without having a degree?

Of course it is. Having a degree doesn't guarantee a decent job anymore.
Reply 3
ButterCookie

Absolutely possible, work experience goes an awful long way...in some cases more viable than a degree.
lesta_chick
hiya ppl i dnt realy kno if this is the right place to put this thread but neways i jus wanted 2 kno wat kinda jobs n stuff ppl do without goin 2 uni n if u now regret not goin 2 uni if that makes sense cuz im cumin 2 the end of my a-levels n i dnt realy wana go 2 uni so wat did u ppl do instead of goin 2 uni thank u ppl pls post as it wud b much appreciated :smile:

I took a gap year last year after alevels and worked as an office junior at a solicitors while doing alevel retakes. The job took up more of my time than i'd anticipated and thus i didn't do much better in the retakes. Now i've taken another year out and am working as a stores person (the job is nearer to me and the money better, also i don't have to wear a suit). I regret not going to uni straight from sixth form and if i go this year, all those i know will soon have graduated and be able to do whatever the hell they want. Still, some people say i'll be maturer when/ if i go, thus i'll make more of the experience.

I think anyone who gets a job that pays well and which they enjoy are extremely lucky, more so, if they get it without or prior to going to uni. I've reached the conclusion that (if its possible) go to uni and enjoy life when you're young as working life can be stressful and tiring and without the responsibilities of a family etc. there is no need for it.
Reply 5
It depends what kind of job you want to do and how much you want to earn.

A degree doesn't guarantee you a decent job but it certainly helps. Just before I left my last job, I asked my boss why he hired me. He said it was good that I had a degree, but the reason he asked me to an interview was because of my work experience.

Having said that, a lot of companies won't even consider you if you don't have a degree, so most of the time you must have both. A degree on your CV can get you through to the interview.

I'm talking about fairly well-paid office jobs in London though. If you don't fancy that kind of thing, you might not need a degree at all.
Reply 6
Yeah, I'd like to know more about this. I'm taking a year out after college (which is this year) to do some work, get some money and have a break. Then I may go to college, I'm not sure. My uncle is. He wants me to go. I was wondering what jobs you could sort of work your way up in after college, without a degree etc.
On the assumption that most users of this site are students, I'd strongly advise seeing a careers advisor at your school or college and asking the same question of him or her, for well-informed and professional advice. I strongly suspect, however, that you'll like the answer. Less than 40% of people get degrees - and I can tell you that three fifths of the population aren't all in dead-end jobs they hate!
Reply 8
Well let me see by best mate is a management accountant. She got a job as a trainee at a big firm (I think top 10 firm) straight from A Levels. Did her qualifications whilst working they give day and study leave relief. Whilst i was in my last year of uni she was raking in well over 20k and she got a decent payrise every year.
She did a degree on the OU but hasnt needed to use it. She has just moved jobs and is now a management accountant so not going to uni certainly did her no harm.
I know someone else who is a recruitment consultant same story trained straight from school, no degree similar salary.
Someone else who works as a supermarket manager again straight from school and trained up on a really good salary 30k + I think.
I know someone in IT trained themself no degree dropped out of uni in second year when realised what they could be earning again really good salary think they work for the BBC now.

Theres plenty you can do. But if you're not sure then a degree is a good thing to do.
A degree certainly isnt essential for all 'good' jobs. At the end of the day a first from oxbridge doesnt guarentee you a glittering career - hard work,determination and ability usually will. Also id recommend at least a year out working after school, the main thing i learnt from 13 years of state education was that i had no idea what i wanted to do (or any experience to help me decide) and how can anyone decide what career theyl be happy with when they havent spent any significant time in the real world?
Reply 10
I only got my part time job as a result of being an undergraduate. It would have been much harder to get the job if I wasn't studying what I do at university. I think if you are willing to take the risk its worth it.

However don't expect to walk into a good job upon graduating.

Latest

Trending

Trending