The Student Room Group

Is resitting a module likely to hinder my chances?

I want to resit one module from last year that I somehow ****ed up on. I know it might vary depending on uni but what is general consensus.

If I resit the module at the next available opportunity and it's also still within the 2 years to do A-Levels? Also, do I need to declare that I plan on resitting on my UCAS application?
You do need to declare your resit.

A single resit of one module is unlikely to harm your application at the majority of universities. Some top universities will prefer applicants with no resits, but if you're looking to resit, then it's likely that without resitting, your grades will be weaker than other applicants.
They will absolutely not care at all, except if you are applying for Medicine or to Oxbridge. In both cases, it will matter more, but not hugely, especially if it's only one or two.

Only resit if you KNOW you can achieve much better second time round. However, if you are sure that if you left it you weren't reaching your full potential then you should definitely consider it.

I recommend getting your paper back (has helped me with many resits)

:smile:
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
You do need to declare your resit.

A single resit of one module is unlikely to harm your application at the majority of universities. Some top universities will prefer applicants with no resits, but if you're looking to resit, then it's likely that without resitting, your grades will be weaker than other applicants.

This. If you're taking a subject to full A Level and have gotten a U, E, D in any modules I would (personally) would almost definitely resit. If you're aiming for A*/A, even C's need to go ideally.
Reply 4
Original post by Comeback
They will absolutely not care at all, except if you are applying for Medicine or to Oxbridge. In both cases, it will matter more, but not hugely, especially if it's only one or two.

Only resit if you KNOW you can achieve much better second time round. However, if you are sure that if you left it you weren't reaching your full potential then you should definitely consider it.

I recommend getting your paper back (has helped me with many resits)

:smile:

Yeah, it was one of the easiest papers I was going to sit (content-wise) so I know I could easily improve by at least 15 UMS. And yeah I was gonna get my paper back but I'll have to see.
Reply 5
This. If you're taking a subject to full A Level and have gotten a U, E, D in any modules I would (personally) would almost definitely resit. If you're aiming for A*/A, even C's need to go ideally.

Grades still decent because I thankfully got 90+ UMS in other module but looks like I'll be resitting then :tongue: Just didn't want it to lower my chances too much

I would add to this list possibly some of the top London universities such as Imperial and UCL. While they won't turn down an application just because of one resit, their websites do make it clear they aren't super keen on resits.
I would add to this list possibly some of the top London universities such as Imperial and UCL. While they won't turn down an application just because of one resit, their websites do make it clear they aren't super keen on resits.

Yeah I suppose you're right. There probably are some very competitive courses to add to the list too.

Proportionately, it's still a minority who have a real problem with resits (thankfully!)
Yeah I suppose you're right. There probably are some very competitive courses to add to the list too.

Proportionately, it's still a minority who have a real problem with resits (thankfully!)

I think the thing to bear in mind is that applications are of course a semi-competitive process, and if a uni has lots of applicants for a particular course offering AAA+ with no resits, then anyone with resits will be a weaker candidate by comparison. However, as most universities need to over-offer by a large amount to be sure of filling their courses, for the majority of courses it isn't an issue.
Reply 9
I think the thing to bear in mind is that applications are of course a semi-competitive process, and if a uni has lots of applicants for a particular course offering AAA+ with no resits, then anyone with resits will be a weaker candidate by comparison. However, as most universities need to over-offer by a large amount to be sure of filling their courses, for the majority of courses it isn't an issue.

Off topic question but asking out of interest. What if the unis over offer and then more people than possible firm/get grades required? It's not possible for them to retract an offer if you meet the requirements, is it?
Original post by ImNormal
Off topic question but asking out of interest. What if the unis over offer and then more people than possible firm/get grades required? It's not possible for them to retract an offer if you meet the requirements, is it?

No, it's not possible to retract an offer if you meet the requirements. However, most universities do have a good idea of how many offers they need to give out in order to fill their courses. It's not a perfect science, but giving out offers does usually involve fairly educated guesswork.

However, given that universities don't have student number controls on students with ABB or above grades, having slightly too many students isn't really a problem for most universities anymore, especially as there will always be a few students who drop out early on in the year.

The bigger problem is having too few students on a course, as this can cause financial problems for universities- so universities have to over offer to fill their places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending