The Student Room Group

Finishing off my A2 Chemistry, third year at sixth form, massive problem!

I'm currently continuing on with Maths and Business Studies, so taking them to A2. I dropped Physics and Psychology after my first year (AS) as I didn’t do that well in them. So I decided to pick up Chemistry; as I will require for what I want to become now. I will need an extra year to finish chemistry, and this is where the problem arises.

My Sixth form told me it will be impossible to let me stay, to finish off my chemistry for my third year, as it would be expensive for them. Apparently every student costs them £4000 a year! So they kind of mentioned night classes, but they didn't go into detail, so I’m kind of lost about how I’m going to finish off Chemistry.

Do you think it will be likely another college will let me join, to finish off my A2 Chemistry? Are there maybe night classes available that I could attend? Or should I simply revise at home, and pay for the papers myself so I’m able to sit them, at a centre. Any ideas how I can go about this? Have you been in this situation or know someone who has, any help or advice, would be appreciated, many thanks.
Original post by joyfulblake
I'm currently continuing on with Maths and Business Studies, so taking them to A2. I dropped Physics and Psychology after my first year (AS) as I didn’t do that well in them. So I decided to pick up Chemistry; as I will require for what I want to become now. I will need an extra year to finish chemistry, and this is where the problem arises.

My Sixth form told me it will be impossible to let me stay, to finish off my chemistry for my third year, as it would be expensive for them. Apparently every student costs them £4000 a year! So they kind of mentioned night classes, but they didn't go into detail, so I’m kind of lost about how I’m going to finish off Chemistry.

Do you think it will be likely another college will let me join, to finish off my A2 Chemistry? Are there maybe night classes available that I could attend? Or should I simply revise at home, and pay for the papers myself so I’m able to sit them, at a centre. Any ideas how I can go about this? Have you been in this situation or know someone who has, any help or advice, would be appreciated, many thanks.

It doesn't cost them money if you pick up two additional AS's next year alongside Chemistry. Offer that to them, as it will let you qualify as a full-time student.
night clubs and revision at home won't be enough as you need to do the practical somewhere. So you either pick up another couple of courses so your school get full funding -maybe further maths for one - or you find a tutorial college or perhaps do a foundation year, although an extra year at school is a lot cheaper.

Quick Reply

Latest