The Student Room Group

Bristol Medical School A100 Entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tealover96
Yeahh I'm definite for SGUL and also doing the BMAT so applying for Leeds.
Maybe UEA but I'm not sure whether to drop liverpool or bristol :s-smilie:

Yea i think doing the BMAT is a great idea. Hmm.. just check the courses and see which one you like best?

Original post by mattmejevie
Why is it risky applying to both? Just curious...

because of the sheer number of applicants! they're both super super competative like medicine is competative enough but applying for liverpool AND bristol is risky
Reply 21
I got an interview last year , but it was quite late , does this mean it was weak relative to other applicants.
reapplying and considering Bristol
Reply 22
Original post by Ashkun
I got an interview last year , but it was quite late , does this mean it was weak relative to other applicants.
reapplying and considering Bristol

They tell you to not look into when your got your interview because it presumably means nothing. However, our HE advisor says it probably means you were in the 'maybe' pile, and they had spaces to full after their 'yes' pile was interviewed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by NancyRoseC
They tell you to not look into when your got your interview because it presumably means nothing. However, our HE advisor says it probably means you were in the 'maybe' pile, and they had spaces to full after their 'yes' pile was interviewed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah sweet
Reply 24
Original post by ivosk
I'm starting a100 on Monday at Bristol after applying last year. Any questions and I can try and help. Just quote this post so it alerts me.

How do they give points for academics?

I achieved 5A*s 5As-GCSE
aaab- As
AAA-predication for A2

I think they score your 8 best GCSEs, but do you know how much they give for A* or an A.

And do you think I'd be competitive enough (academically) for Bristol?
Reply 25
Original post by ivosk
I'm starting a100 on Monday at Bristol after applying last year. Any questions and I can try and help. Just quote this post so it alerts me.

Hi, I would also like to know about the academics. My AS levels aren't great (no A grades :frown: ) - do Bristol take AS levels into account for the 20% academic scoring?
Reply 26
Original post by ivosk

Do you mind sharing your stats? In your opinion what do you have to do to be successful? Do you know how the 20% academic score is calculated? Thank you
Original post by Sideman420
B in English language is an automatic rejection? -_-

Not course related, but yeah, I got rejected from vet med due to a B in GCSE maths. I think at some point they need to find a difference in picking candidates when they have 2 exemplar students.
Reply 28
Hi guys! i'm thinking about applying to bristol too!

Just to clarify for people;

I emailed the Admissions team and they said the following:
"For Medicine, we ask for at least five A grades at GCSE including English Language, Maths and two science subjects. However, we attach a numerical score to these four subjects plus your best other four. An A* is worth 10 points and an A is worth 7. We do not count short courses when scoring GCSE. Your GCSEs as described in your email meet our requirements.

We only look at the fourth AS-Level, in which we require a C or above, which I understand that you have achieved. Beyond that, we assess the A2-Level predictions rather than the AS-Level results. We look for predicted grades of AAA including Chemistry and another lab-based science. If your predicted grades include these subjects, you would be welcome to apply to us."

So there is a point system attached to GCSEs, stupidly forgot to ask if there's like a cut off but shot of another email :smile:

really like Bristol hopefully my PS is good enough. Its just soooo subjective and placing 80% weighting on it seems silly :/
Reply 29
Original post by RagaZ

"For Medicine, we ask for at least five A grades at GCSE including English Language, Maths and two science subjects. However, we attach a numerical score to these four subjects plus your best other four. An A* is worth 10 points and an A is worth 7. We do not count short courses when scoring GCSE. Your GCSEs as described in your email meet our requirements.

We only look at the fourth AS-Level, in which we require a C or above, which I understand that you have achieved. Beyond that, we assess the A2-Level predictions rather than the AS-Level results. We look for predicted grades of AAA including Chemistry and another lab-based science. If your predicted grades include these subjects, you would be welcome to apply to us."

So there is a point system attached to GCSEs, stupidly forgot to ask if there's like a cut off but shot of another email :smile:

really like Bristol hopefully my PS is good enough. Its just soooo subjective and placing 80% weighting on it seems silly :/

Do you know if the C in the 4th AS has to be achieved or can be pending (ie a module resit next June )? Plus:do they read everyone's personal statement for the other 80%of the score, or just the top ones of the academic score?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by joolsm
Do you know if the C in the 4th AS has to be achieved or can be pending (ie a module resit next June )? Plus:do they read everyone's personal statement for the other 80%of the score, or just the top ones of the academic score?

I have no idea sorry! best to email them or give them a call, they get back really quickly too.

and i think how it works is that 20% of an overall "mark" can be achieved from your academics ie GCSEs &A2 predictions, then the remaining 80% of the mark is given to the PS.

thoses with the highest overall, considering Personal statement and academics will be called for interview.
What do they mean by life skills?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellipsis...
What do they mean by life skills?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manual dexterity, leadership, teamwork and time management.
I score 62 points with my GCSE's? Anyone have any idea if that's a good total for an interview??
Reply 34
Hey guys,

My stats: 5A*s 6As, but according to their GCSE points system I would have 71/80 points.
AS: AAAB
A2 Predicted: A*A*A

I feel my personal statement is fairly strong in terms of quality, soooo what are my chances?

What is Bristol like as a city? And has anyone been to the university's open day? What is it like? What's the weather like?

Sorry for all the questions :colondollar:
Hi can you please tell me how you calculated the points. I had a look at their website and it didn't say anything about the scoring system.

Original post by nk96
Hey guys,

My stats: 5A*s 6As, but according to their GCSE points system I would have 71/80 points.
AS: AAAB
A2 Predicted: A*A*A

I feel my personal statement is fairly strong in terms of quality, soooo what are my chances?

What is Bristol like as a city? And has anyone been to the university's open day? What is it like? What's the weather like?

Sorry for all the questions :colondollar:
Reply 36
Original post by itsmeapril
Hi can you please tell me how you calculated the points. I had a look at their website and it didn't say anything about the scoring system.

Hey! From here :smile:

Original post by RagaZ

Original post by nk96
Hey! From here :smile:

Thank you. I got 71/80. Hopefully it will be enough
Reply 38
Original post by itsmeapril
Thank you. I got 71/80. Hopefully it will be enough

Snap! Hopefull :smile:

Where else are you applying?
Reply 39
Hi, I have asked this before but didn't get a response, so will try again!
As it is 20% academic (I have 74/80 but I'm sure there will be plenty of applicants with 80/80) and 80% PS, does that mean they read everyone's PS?
I now it's subjective and therefore risky, but I'm not sure if my other applications will ever get to the PS stage, so would be good to know that it would at least be read in one place! Anyone know?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending