The Student Room Group

Bristol Medical School A100 Entry 2015

There's no thread for bristol for 2015 entry that I can see! So hi! Who else is applying to Bristol??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the 6th criteria for assessment of the personal statement is :

"a range of personal achievements (excluding exams)?"

what does this mean exactly?

Also it mentions in the faq section of the website that applicants may be tested for manual dexterity at interview, what would this involve?

Any responses appreciated and I hope everyone is doing well :smile:
Reply 2
Hi! I've only just done some research of the A100 course at Bristol...
But someone kindly let know how the selection process works at Bristol? :smile:
What main aspect of the application do Bristol place an emphasis on? thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Tronick
the 6th criteria for assessment of the personal statement is :

"a range of personal achievements (excluding exams)?"

what does this mean exactly?

Also it mentions in the faq section of the website that applicants may be tested for manual dexterity at interview, what would this involve?

Any responses appreciated and I hope everyone is doing well :smile:

I think the personal achievements is like no only been good in school but also at something like music or dance or a hobby?

Not sure, I will ask my friend who had an interview at bristol last year
Reply 4
Original post by zk11
Hi! I've only just done some research of the A100 course at Bristol...
But someone kindly let know how the selection process works at Bristol? :smile:
What main aspect of the application do Bristol place an emphasis on? thanks!

It's hugely personal statment based, 80% based on personal statement and I think 10% on gcse and 10% a levels/IB

It says on the website
[h="2"]"Criteria for assessing the personal statement[/h]Has the candidate:

a realistic interest in Medicine?

informed him/herself about a career in Medicine?

demonstrated a commitment to helping others?

demonstrated a wide range of interests?

contributed to school/college/community activities?

a range of personal achievements (excluding exams)?"

Reply 5
Thanks so much! Exactly what I needed :smile:)
How's the PS going then? Official deadline slowly approaching! 1 month!!

Original post by NancyRoseC
It's hugely personal statment based, 80% based on personal statement and I think 10% on gcse and 10% a levels/IB

It says on the website
"Criteria for assessing the personal statement

Has the candidate:

a realistic interest in Medicine?

informed him/herself about a career in Medicine?

demonstrated a commitment to helping others?

demonstrated a wide range of interests?

contributed to school/college/community activities?

a range of personal achievements (excluding exams)?"

Reply 6
Original post by zk11
Thanks so much! Exactly what I needed :smile:)
How's the PS going then? Official deadline slowly approaching! 1 month!!

Aaaaah I'm so nervous! My personal statement's done but i don't think it's going to be in the top 20% (what you need to get an interview)
Reply 7
Does "a wide range of personal achievements" mean only things like playing sport for county/country sides or getting grades in musical instruments?
Reply 8
Original post by Tronick
Does "a wide range of personal achievements" mean only things like playing sport for county/country sides or getting grades in musical instruments?

I think so.. think it means any achievement that isn't academic, or that is but isn't directly related to medicine
Applying here! Seriously love Bristol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Seriously looks like bristol is going to be even more competative due to low UKCAT
Reply 11
I'm considering Bristol but wasn't able to visit it. Can anyone who has seen it, tell me what the place is lie, how the course is, the Uni itself etc?

Sorry about just asking this but I've just recently considered Bristol and it looks really great but I'd like someone actual opinion on rather than just what the website says.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by skizzle
I'm considering Bristol but wasn't able to visit it. Can anyone who has seen it, tell me what the place is lie, how the course is, the Uni itself etc?

Sorry about just asking this but I've just recently considered Bristol and it looks really great but I'd like someone actual opinion on rather than just what the website says.

Thank you :smile:

I haven't been either sorry! But all my friends who have visited say it's a lovely city and the university is beautiful!
The nightlife/social aspect is supposed to be great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm starting a100 on Monday at Bristol after applying last year. Any questions and I can try and help. Just quote this post so it alerts me.
Reply 14
Can anyone explain how your academic score is calculated if you have GCSE and AS results but only predicted A2 results? What exactly makes up the 20% Academic score? The website states "All applications are allocated scores on the academic record and the personal statement/reference; the combined score determines which applicants will be invited to attend an interview. The weighting is as follows:
• Academic score: 20% (A-level score: 12%, GCSE score: 8%)
• Personal Statement/Reference score: 80%
Is it too risky to apply to bristol and Liverpool? Only got 647.5 in my ukcat
I've finished my PS but it's just too hard to judge whether it'll be good enough!
Reply 16
Original post by tealover96
Is it too risky to apply to bristol and Liverpool? Only got 647.5 in my ukcat
I've finished my PS but it's just too hard to judge whether it'll be good enough!

I was originally applying to liverpool and bristol but everyone told me it was too risky so i changed. your ukcat isn't that bad, you could try applying to UKCAT unis that don't value it so much?
B in English language is an automatic rejection? -_-
I was originally applying to liverpool and bristol but everyone told me it was too risky so i changed. your ukcat isn't that bad, you could try applying to UKCAT unis that don't value it so much?

Yeahh I'm definite for SGUL and also doing the BMAT so applying for Leeds.
Maybe UEA but I'm not sure whether to drop liverpool or bristol :s-smilie:

Why is it risky applying to both? Just curious...

Quick Reply