The Student Room Group

~| EXPOSED! The Truth About State Schools! |~

Bunch of **** there (especially the idea that employers don't care about your grades).

Your parents should teach you to cook, balance checkbooks, budget and question the world. I hated the parts of school where they try to teach you social skills and how to deal with conflict, it was so wishy washy and pointless, school's only purpose is to improve you academically.

The only thing which it should teach which it doesn't, is character, like this romanticised idea I have of the teacher telling the kid who is always causing trouble, getting into fights and pulling pranks that he is the leader and is the only one who will be successful, just before he gives him a taste of the birch.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yo radical one
Bunch of **** there.

Your parents should teach you to cook, balance checkbooks, budget and question the world. I hated the parts of school where they try to teach you social skills and how to deal with conflict, it was so wishy washy and pointless, school is there for academic purposes only.

Not all parents have the time or know how (or can be bothered)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobbieShamrock
Not all parents have the time or know how (or can be bothered)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't want to raise children, don't have them.
Who uses chequebooks?
I got taught to cook and to sew.

Really annoys me when people say how things we learn aren't useful and you won't use them in life.

It's not the children's fault if they have ****ty parents, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobbieShamrock
It's not the children's fault if they have ****ty parents, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They also have Google, which is an apt substitute.
I agree that the school system in the UK (more so in the US) is a utter load of rubbish...
Would like to see it changed sometime, most preferably in light of the success of the Nordic style of schooling.
Absolute rubbish.

He probably failed school and is spiteful about it, or,

thinks he is special because he reads about conspiracy theories and alternative media all day .

You CAN go through the education system and still be an open minded person.
(edited 9 years ago)

What exactly does this expose? The fact that some disgruntled teenager in the US can make a bunch of assertions but not verify them?
It is mostly relevant for America. The UK school system is not so bad, but it needs serious improving. Gove has already done part of that, and the teachers whined about it.

Once the left-wing are eradicated from having anything to do with education then things may improve.
Original post by The Dictator
It is mostly relevant for America. The UK school system is not so bad, but it needs serious improving. Gove has already done part of that, and the teachers whined about it.

Once the left-wing are eradicated from having anything to do with education then things may improve.

Done what? Doing what he wanted? Ignoring educational experts, teachers and headteachers? Doing changes for their own sake? Having last minute changes of heart?

:rolleyes:
Original post by Juichiro
Done what? Doing what he wanted? Ignoring educational experts, teachers and headteachers? Doing changes for their own sake? Having last minute changes of heart?

:rolleyes:

He was a great reformer and will be sorely missed :smile:

Those stupid teachers deserved to be lined up against a wall and shot.
Original post by The Dictator
He was a great reformer and will be sorely missed :smile:

Those stupid teachers deserved to be lined up against a wall and shot.

Is that supposed to be irony? He was a reformer but not a great one. Ignoring evidence and the professionals in the field is not the way to go.
Why do you specify state schools?
What has this exposed except the fact that schools need to teach why you should not make unsupported assertions when attempting to persuade?

Exactly!
Original post by Kitty-meaw
Exactly!

I agree that parents should raise their own children for precisely this reason. State schools can't and shouldn't try to.
Reply 18
Most of those things should be taught by the parents, although I do think it would've been useful to learn at school about managing your own personal finances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending