The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

What to do during freshers if you don't want to party or go clubbing?

What is there to do in Bristol besides this? What other events will be on, like during the day?
Reply 1
There's a program with loads of things other than club nights here -- http://www.ubu.org.uk/welcome/ :kitty:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by cattitude
There's a program with loads of things other than club nights here -- http://www.ubu.org.uk/welcome/ :kitty:

I couldn't navigate that site :colonhash: thanks :smile:
Study.
Reply 4
Original post by TheBBQ
What is there to do in Bristol besides this? What other events will be on, like during the day?

There will be daytime activities and early evening activities too. Most people will be pre-drinking at these because they'll be preparing to go out. However, I'd strongly advise you to still get involved. Additionally, when people have pre-drinks (both in freshers and in general) go and just sit and talk to people without drinking or going out with them.

People bond when they're getting drunk at pre-drinks. And on nights out. Unless you'll be in a hall where lots of people don't go out (which wasn't like mine at all, everyone did), then based on my experience I found that initial bonding happened with a bit of alcohol, leading to numbers exchanged and close friendships forming very quickly.

Just my experience, though, so what I'm saying is if you don't want to go out I'd still try and get as involved as possible without drinking and going out with them :smile:

As for activities, my hall put on bowling trips, films in the common room, karaoke night and pub quiz etc
https://www.facebook.com/groups/269590639896122/ - Facebook group of sober(ish) freshers hanging out together. We're planning on heading to the free pizza and board games event, you should check it out!

Oh did I tell you there's FREE PIZZA!!! :biggrin:
Original post by Catching22
https://www.facebook.com/groups/269590639896122/ - Facebook group of sober(ish) freshers hanging out together. We're planning on heading to the free pizza and board games event, you should check it out!

PIZZA¬!!! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Catching22

Thank you! :biggrin: I don't mind drinking but I'm not gonna go out to get bladdered at all these events.. :redface:

Original post by CuriousQuestioner
PIZZA¬!!! :biggrin:

I know right.. can't go wrong with pizza.
Reply 8
All the clubs/societies have events and tasters on. For instance tea or cheese soc.
My halls did bowling too.
Going for coffee with friends / meeting people
Starting lectures yay
I'm from Bristol, and highly recommend going out, even if you aren't drinking - there are lots of bars, particularly along Park Street, if you don't like the clubs. Also, get a load of people together, go to the harbourside and go to Zaza Bazaar, which is one of my favourite places ever. So. Much. Food.
Reply 10
Original post by Inazuma
All the clubs/societies have events and tasters on. For instance tea or cheese soc.
My halls did bowling too.
Going for coffee with friends / meeting people
Starting lectures yay

Original post by Paralove
I'm from Bristol, and highly recommend going out, even if you aren't drinking - there are lots of bars, particularly along Park Street, if you don't like the clubs. Also, get a load of people together, go to the harbourside and go to Zaza Bazaar, which is one of my favourite places ever. So. Much. Food.

Thanks guys. :smile:

I have another question. Do you think it's wise to buy a costume for these costume themed events, like there's a cops and robbers one? Do lots of people dress up or only a few?
Original post by TheBBQ
Thanks guys. :smile:

I have another question. Do you think it's wise to buy a costume for these costume themed events, like there's a cops and robbers one? Do lots of people dress up or only a few?

Maybe buying a few accessories or things. Some people don't try ofc, but then again there are some that do it properly :tongue:
For the halls freshers events, not everyone tries that hard (as many last minute decisions). The bigger events e.g. our main event was prohibition - loads of people bought proper dresses etc. Also later in the year all the sports days etc are well dressed.
Reply 12
Travel back home even though it's in a different country and then come back when your lectures start next week against your will!:angry:
Reply 13
Original post by Inazuma
Maybe buying a few accessories or things. Some people don't try ofc, but then again there are some that do it properly :tongue:
For the halls freshers events, not everyone tries that hard (as many last minute decisions). The bigger events e.g. our main event was prohibition - loads of people bought proper dresses etc. Also later in the year all the sports days etc are well dressed.

Well there is a fresher event set up by UBU where it's supposeduly cops and robbers themed, and I have access through the wristband. I wil be going to it so I guess I might need a costume huh :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending