The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Anyone taken up the hotel accom. offered by Reading?

Just wondering if anyone has taken up this offer as the deadline for any help from Reading is tomorrow arvo and I've still not sorted anything myself!

FYI I'm 20yo male studying Finance and Investment in Property.

Cheers

Rishi
Reply 1
Got an email saying I have hotel accommodation but I need to keep looking for private accommodation. I don't know hotel name or where it is yet
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Got the Premier Inn for two weeks - anyone else?
Reply 3
Considered it but decided not to, now regretting it a bit.
Reply 4
So what are you doing instead
Reply 5
No idea :s-smilie: Guessing I'll try find a house share or just commute until I find something...
Reply 6
Offer of Halls came through yesterday. Relieved as it i has been a stressful few weeks. I can look forward to going tomorrow
Reply 7
Original post by Hedwig1
Offer of Halls came through yesterday. Relieved as it i has been a stressful few weeks. I can look forward to going tomorrow

So your off the waiting list? If so what time did you put your application in? Hopefully I get one soon.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Yep off the waiting list. I applied for Halls at 10.20 on the day that accommodation applications opened and when I got the rejection I called the accommodation office up to make sure I was on the Hall waiting list because I would not commute
Reply 9
I was told on the day, no guarantees, that overseas students sometimes could not get Visas or sort out funding and that some home students decide not to go to unveristy or defer. But they would not tell me where I was on the waiting list.

Fingers crossed for you.
Reply 10
Original post by Hedwig1
I was told on the day, no guarantees, that overseas students sometimes could not get Visas or sort out funding and that some home students decide not to go to unveristy or defer. But they would not tell me where I was on the waiting list.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks mate. I applied at 10.39am, had to ask for the time, so maybe i will get a spot. What hall and type did you get?
Reply 11
Wessex - self catering with a basin in the room. I had wanted catered with en-suite but I dont care now that I have a place on campus.

Hopefully the waiting list will move a bit this week as people dont show up.
I'm moving out of Kendrick Hall, if you're interested in getting student accomodation. PM me if you're interested
Does reading not have enough accommodation for first years, or are you all in second/postgrads etc?
Original post by Azurefeline
Does reading not have enough accommodation for first years, or are you all in second/postgrads etc?

From Reading's website:

Accommodation Guarantee

You will be guaranteed a place in hall if you are:

A new undergraduate student (full-time) who holds Reading as a Firm UCAS choice and applies for accommodation by 1 August and satisfies the conditions of your academic offer by 31 August of your year of entry
A new postgraduate student (full-time) who holds an unconditional academic offer and applies for accommodation by 1 August and satisfies the conditions of your academic offer by 31 August of your year of entry

I imagine those left without accommodation this year were the ones who didn't satisfy all these criteria.

Reading were by no means the only university unable to offer accommodation to all students who wanted it - several others (Aberdeen for one) were also putting students up in hotels at the start of term. The lifting of the government cap on student numbers hasn't helped accommodation problems.
Hi, if anyone on here is still looking for accomodation I am moving out of Bridges hall, it was brand new for 2014 and very clean and modern, only sharing a bathroom with one other and very close to the main campus square. If you're interested and still living in a hotel or temporary accomodation drop me a message.
Hello all,

Sorry to hear that you haven't been given a place in halls just yet. Many people will be in the same situation as you but fear not, there are plenty of ways to get accommodation in Reading.

You can be put on the waiting list for halls, and places do become available but there is no guarantee on how long this may take. Alternatively you can look on the RUSU- Reading University Student Union Find a Housemate Facebook page. Many people post rooms which are available to rent (sometimes even hall rooms) or some people get a group of other freshers together and find a house. This is online so do be careful before jumping into anything and organising a house with people that you may find you won't get along with! There's still plenty of time so don't panic and do keep checking the page.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask any more questions,
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art
If you get accepted to 14 Northcourt House . DO NOT ACCEPT. There are 9 rooms, on three levels. It is an extremely old, run down, cold and disgusting house. The rooms are horrible, nothing like they look on the reading accommodation website there was mold and mildew in both, the carpet was dirty and ripped up and coming off of the floorboards and the old windows were so drafty they were almost pointless. The whole house is very dark, cold and gloomy. The rooms are not well furnished and have been poorly maintained. I do not think they have been updated since the 1940s or 50s. There is one kitchen on the main floor, it is extremely dirty, run down and the stovetop and oven took extremely long to heat up( It took me 15 minutes to get my frying pan hot enough to make scrambled eggs) The fridges are located down a long , mudded hallway and the cabinets and facilities in the kitchen were extremely dated. It looks like a kitchen from the early 1900s. The internet throughout the whole house is very slow and difficult to set up.The absolute WORST part about this house are the bathrooms. The bathrooms were disgusting, almost unlivable. They were freezing, the tubs were dirty and looked atleast 30 years old and the water did not mix. So you either had freezing water or boiling water and no shower head! You had to use a bucket to wash yourself and it was extremely uncomfortable. There were bugs in the bathroom and kitchen and evidence of rats as well.I am writing this only as a warning to students considering living in 14 northcourt house!

Quick Reply

Latest