The Student Room Group

Tips for A-Level Biology?

I've just started studying AS Biology, and I'm really shocked by how big of a step up it has been from GCSE, more so than my other subjects. The words seem way more complicated and the detail is way more confusing and thorough. One of my friends has already dropped out but I'm really determined to stick at it! I really want to study a foundation degree in veterinary nursing after A-Levels, and to do this, I need at least a C in Biology. I got a secure A in GCSE Biology, so I'm hoping I'll be okay, even though I'm finding it hard now. Does anyone have any tips to help me pick up the extra detail etc / did anyone else feel like I did at the start of AS and how did you get on? Thanks
Reply 1
read up before each lesson, make sure you stay ahead of the class (even if you arent confident you know it, it always helps), the words may SEEM complicated but they make perfect sense, so dont stress out :smile: when you get home, recap your lesson and think about what you learned as you walk outside the room (doorways erase memory!)
Do all the homework that you are given at class to the highest standard possible because it really does help in terms of understanding the content and when it comes to the exam. Also make sure you know every single detail in the textbook because in the exam, they can ask you questions even on the smallest details in the textbook. Lastly, DO PAST PAPERS! This will help you to brush up and perfect on your exam technique. Every time you make a mistake after doing papers, memorize the answers from mark scheme for the questions you get wrong, then you know exactly what the examiners are looking for in order to score marks easily. If you do all this you will definitely get an A in AS Biology. GOOD LUCK!
what exam board are you on? for ocr get the black book, make sure you memorise it and understand it, then just do every past paper you can get.

Quick Reply

Latest