The Student Room Group

How do you count your private/total study time?

Do you count the time you studied from the time you start in the day until the time you stop working or alternatively do you count your private study time in terms of the time actually sat down at your desk?
Reply 1
The later.
Reply 2
Original post by Lil08
The later.

Same :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Cityking94
Do you count the time you studied from the time you start in the day until the time you stop working or alternatively do you count your private study time in terms of the time actually sat down at your desk?

I count from when I sat down to when I finished. I exclude breaks longer than 10 mins though.

If I go to make tea or have a smoke, I'm still thinking of ideas, course of action or going through what I read in my head.
Reply 4
Original post by McMicheal
I count from when I sat down to when I finished. I exclude breaks longer than 10 mins though.

If I go to make tea or have a smoke, I'm still thinking of ideas, course of action or going through what I read in my head.

That's fair enough! It's just that some people say they've done 8 hours because they started work at 9am or something and finish at 5pm for the day. We all know though that one cannot work for long sustained periods of time without a break, so even if people sit down for ages, the quality of that time is diminished significantly. And if they take large breaks ie 30 minutes to an hour that surely cannot count as time spent "working".
Reply 5
That's fair enough! It's just that some people say they've done 8 hours because they started work at 9am or something and finish at 5pm for the day. We all know though that one cannot work for long sustained periods of time without a break, so even if people sit down for ages, the quality of that time is diminished significantly. And if they take large breaks ie 30 minutes to an hour that surely cannot count as time spent "working".

Yeah, I know. That's why I don't count that time.

However I did pull some all-nighters as in not sleeping throughout the night, but how much time I've actually spent studying/working on something? well only about 4 hours sometimes, the rest was taking breaks and getting distracted.
Reply 6
By the way guys, if you need some help timing your study sessions (and you just like me get easily distracted by other websites like facebook, news sites, 9gag, ...) try to give StudyKeeper.com a try. It's something I originally just made for myself but I thought I might as well throw it online and work on my programming skills :smile: . It's basicly a site that registers how much time you actually spent studying by diminishing it with the time you spent on facebook and stuff. Just a thought!
Imagine it's a bit like a full time hobbit I give my self flexibility for example if my mental health goes down hill, if my plans change or other inconvenient things. But I do find turning off the blackberry/iPhone and instant messenger helps but obviously if you are using it as to do list then make use of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I count my study in terms of content rather than time! So I'll have goals for stuff I want to do that day, and try to do it in the time I've got available. If I finish it all in an hour - great! Day off! If not, then it's a long day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I count my study in terms of content rather than time! So I'll have goals for stuff I want to do that day, and try to do it in the time I've got available. If I finish it all in an hour - great! Day off! If not, then it's a long day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's quite a good way to go about things, but do you not feel guilty even if you have finished your work that you may perhaps be wasting time? I mean you could potentially re-visit other sub-topics or do further reading if you're at university?! Just a thought..
That's quite a good way to go about things, but do you not feel guilty even if you have finished your work that you may perhaps be wasting time? I mean you could potentially re-visit other sub-topics or do further reading if you're at university?! Just a thought..

That's just part of taking responsibility for your own learning. "Revision" and "Wider Reading" come under the goals, as well as primary curriculum study! Part of the responsibility of university study is good goal-setting: knowing what you need to get done, and when you need it done by! Never feel guilty on those "off-days": sure I could do more revision, or more further reading but a good work-life balance is just as important as study: I'd grow to hate my degree and my time at uni if I didn't get the balance right!
Reply 11
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
That's just part of taking responsibility for your own learning. "Revision" and "Wider Reading" come under the goals, as well as primary curriculum study! Part of the responsibility of university study is good goal-setting: knowing what you need to get done, and when you need it done by! Never feel guilty on those "off-days": sure I could do more revision, or more further reading but a good work-life balance is just as important as study: I'd grow to hate my degree and my time at uni if I didn't get the balance right!

That's certainly true, I wish more people took that school of thought. I'm definitely all for extra-curricular and using university time to do non-academic related activities. One it makes you more well-rounded and two it allows one to take their mind off the heckles of university life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending