The Student Room Group

Am i good enough for oxford?

Basically i am a gap year student and i have acheived A*-Biology, A-Maths, A-Economics, A-Chemistry in my A-levels.
I am looking to apply to do economics at :
Oxford- (Eco and management)
Warrick-Economics
Bristol-Economics
Durham-Economics
Kings college-(eco and management)

Are these realistic choices??
I have captained my school football team at various levels, won economics prize at my school, read a few books about economics.

Are these university choices realistic?? Any other units that you could suggest which would be better choices?
I really enjoy economics and really want to do it at uni, any help advice would be appreciated
pass your interviews, no reason not to - go for it.
Original post by Umez123
Basically i am a gap year student and i have acheived A*-Biology, A-Maths, A-Economics, A-Chemistry in my A-levels.
Warrick-Economics
Bristol-Economics
Durham-Economics

I have captained my school football team at various levels, won economics prize at my school, read a few books about economics.

Are these university choices realistic?? Any other units that you could suggest which would be better choices?
I really enjoy economics and really want to do it at uni, any help advice would be appreciated

Considering your grades, excellent choices. Don't think anyone can say much more about Oxford than that you have a really good shot with A*AAA

Don't know anything about Economics, but do UCL not do it? UCL is a very good uni.

Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Comeback
Considering your grades, excellent choices. Don't think anyone can say much more about Oxford than that you have a really good shot with A*AAA

Don't know anything about Economics, but do UCL not do it? UCL is a very good uni.

Good luck

UCL and LSE or the only other two main unis who do economics that i would like to apply to but they both want an A* in maths specifically so no point of applying to them :s-smilie: However oxford don't.
Original post by Umez123
UCL and LSE or the only other two main unis who do economics that i would like to apply to but they both want an A* in maths specifically so no point of applying to them :s-smilie: However oxford don't.

Oh, I see. Assuming you get offers in all of your choices except Oxford (which could happen although you have a great chance of getting an offer) what do you think you're firm and insurance will be?

edit: do you choose a firm and insurance if they're all unconditional? How does that work? :confused:
Reply 5
Just as a query, what did you get at gcse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by econam
Just as a query, what did you get at gcse?

Posted from TSR Mobile

7A*s 4As and a B(in RE short course:biggrin:)
Reply 7
Original post by Comeback
Oh, I see. Assuming you get offers in all of your choices except Oxford (which could happen although you have a great chance of getting an offer) what do you think you're firm and insurance will be?

edit: do you choose a firm and insurance if they're all unconditional? How does that work? :confused:

I think i just need to firm one, don't think i need an insurance. I would probably choose the universities in this order, Oxford, Warwick, Durham, Bristol then KCL. But the main two i really want are Oxford or warwick :smile:
Original post by Umez123
Warrick-Economics
Bristol-Economics
Durham-Economics

Not too sure about Oxford. Oxbridge will not give priority to gap year students over year 13s unless you have a good reason. And in this case, they will want students who have exceeded the entry requirements, and not satisficed them. You will be competing with students of whom 95% have 3 A* predictions as well as gap year students with 3 A*s. Bristol and Warwick are also quite shaky, about 50 50 I'd say so focus on your personal statement. Durham and Kings will accept you no doubt.
Reply 9
Original post by qwertyabcdef123
Not too sure about Oxford. Oxbridge will not give priority to gap year students over year 13s unless you have a good reason. And in this case, they will want students who have exceeded the entry requirements, and not satisficed them. You will be competing with students of whom 95% have 3 A* predictions as well as gap year students with 3 A*s. Bristol and Warwick are also quite shaky, about 50 50 I'd say so focus on your personal statement. Durham and Kings will accept you no doubt.

My main choice for a gap year is to get a job and earn a decent amount of money, due to family financial problems to be completely honest. Would that be a good enough reason in your opinion?
Original post by Umez123
My main choice for a gap year is to get a job and earn a decent amount of money, due to family financial problems to be completely honest. Would that be a good enough reason in your opinion?

Well at the end of the day, everybody's going to have a reason for taking a gap year, so that's not really the issue. The problem is, Oxbridge would rather take students who go there straight from year 13 because the A-Level material is still fresh in their mind (this is what I was told by Cambridge when I asked to defer my offer), and so they are less likely to struggle with the rigorous nature of the course. So my recommendation would be to try and get a job tutoring maths or economics to AS students to show you are still very familiar with the course.
I think people are giving false hope. In all honesty, Oxford will be a long shot, as most post-A2 applicants I assume would only become competitive with 3A*+
Reply 12
You know those grades are more than good enough. Don't use this as a way to brag about your grades. Is this you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending