The Student Room Group

What do you think of the Board Game Cafe concept?

In case any of you don't know what a Board Game Cafe it is essentially a cafe with a lovely atmosphere, comfortable seating and great food and drink but with a twist. That twist is a huge (1000+) library of games from classics like Monopoly to Strategic odyseys like Twilight Imperium and trained "game gurus" who can help you discover games as well as teach you how to play them!

There is a really famous example in Toronto called Snakes and Lattes and now there is also one in Oxford called the Thirsty Meeple that is doing really well.

I wanted to know if you peeps think it is something that could take off in other cities in the UK or if you think it is a bit of a crappy fad?

Here is an article about one opening in Hackney, London.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/jul/16/london-first-board-game-cafe-to-open-in-hackney

So would you go to one or does it sound a little bit rubbish?

If you have more time on your hands you could also answer my survey on the subject below in the Research section of TSR website: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2856699
Reply 2
I would definitely go, I absolutely love boardgames (I'm talking about classics like trivial pursuit, I've never played an in-depth strategic one but I'd be open to it).
Reply 3
Original post by Toriar
I would definitely go, I absolutely love boardgames (I'm talking about classics like trivial pursuit, I've never played an in-depth strategic one but I'd be open to it).

Cool thanks for your thoughts. I think they are cool too but i wasn't sure what others thought. I love all games though although i am probably not such a fan of the really in depth games!
Reply 4
Original post by Klang180
Cool thanks for your thoughts. I think they are cool too but i wasn't sure what others thought. I love all games though although i am probably not such a fan of the really in depth games!

Haha you're welcome, sometimes I think I'm an old lady trapped in a young person's body. I love boardgames, sudokus and baking.
Reply 5
Original post by Toriar
Haha you're welcome, sometimes I think I'm an old lady trapped in a young person's body. I love boardgames, sudokus and baking.

All noble pursuits in my view.
Reply 6
HEllo everyone

Thanks to those who have taken the survey, your contribution to our research is very much appreciated!

Just to say the survey is still going and we would love for more responses so please please take the survey, share the survey and all round spread the word
Reply 7
In case any of you don't know what a Board Game Cafe it is essentially a cafe with a lovely atmosphere, comfortable seating and great food and drink but with a twist. That twist is a huge (1000+) library of games from classics like Monopoly to Strategic odyseys like Twilight Imperium and trained "game gurus" who can help you discover games as well as teach you how to play them!

There is a really famous example in Toronto called Snakes and Lattes and now there is also one in Oxford called the Thirsty Meeple that is doing really well.

I wanted to know if you peeps think it is something that could take off in other cities in the UK or if you think it is a bit of a crappy fad?

Here is an article about one opening in Hackney, London.

Problems.

Firstly, there's no getting away from the possibility that the place will become infested by unattractive, smelly, game geeks who don't want to spend money on tea and cakes. This will drive away the attractive free-spending people.

Secondly, there has to be a commercial imperative. You need to be able to get people in, pay for their stuff and get them out. It's going to take all day to play three turns of Twilight Imperium, locking up a table all day.

Third, Yummy Mummies are going to come in. Their children will eat all your little trains and steal the interesting looking components of your Descent and Memoir 44. You will get cross and throw them out.

A famous games shop in North London moved to having free-play gaming tables, and in very short order had to start charging a nominal sum to prevent the place being locked up with geeks spending nothing and hanging around all day.
Reply 8
Original post by Clip
Problems.

Firstly, there's no getting away from the possibility that the place will become infested by unattractive, smelly, game geeks who don't want to spend money on tea and cakes. This will drive away the attractive free-spending people.

Secondly, there has to be a commercial imperative. You need to be able to get people in, pay for their stuff and get them out. It's going to take all day to play three turns of Twilight Imperium, locking up a table all day.

Third, Yummy Mummies are going to come in. Their children will eat all your little trains and steal the interesting looking components of your Descent and Memoir 44. You will get cross and throw them out.

A famous games shop in North London moved to having free-play gaming tables, and in very short order had to start charging a nominal sum to prevent the place being locked up with geeks spending nothing and hanging around all day.

Thanks Clip for your feedback. Firstly the cafe would have a broad appeal that would cater for "geeks" as much as young hipsters and would be based on the model put forward by Snakes and Lattes in Toronto, if you don't know it then take a look at their website, looks sleek. Most of their customers are actually not the aforementioned "geeky" types but more your average person who fancies a game or two. The majority of games played there are things like Cards Against Humanity, Cash n' Guns and other party games.

I don't agree that you want them to get in and out straight away. The longer someone plays games the more likely they are to want refreshment and if there is table service then there is even less reason to pause the game!

Lastly, game damage and loss of pieces will of course be an issue but that is where the cover charge and good staff and practices come in.

All of the points you mention are very important but none are insurmountable in our view :smile:
Reply 9
This sounds brilliant although Clip has brought it down to earth ha...
Reply 10
Thanks Clip for your feedback. Firstly the cafe would have a broad appeal that would cater for "geeks" as much as young hipsters and would be based on the model put forward by Snakes and Lattes in Toronto, if you don't know it then take a look at their website, looks sleek. Most of their customers are actually not the aforementioned "geeky" types but more your average person who fancies a game or two. The majority of games played there are things like Cards Against Humanity, Cash n' Guns and other party games.

I don't agree that you want them to get in and out straight away. The longer someone plays games the more likely they are to want refreshment and if there is table service then there is even less reason to pause the game!

Lastly, game damage and loss of pieces will of course be an issue but that is where the cover charge and good staff and practices come in.

All of the points you mention are very important but none are insurmountable in our view :smile:

Danger, Will Robinson.

The North American market is so completely different. They have board games and RPGs far more into the national consciousness than they ever will here. They used to play Ouija board, for god's sake. To base a gaming cafe here on a North American pattern would be exceptionally risky.

If you carry out a poll here of "best board game ever" most people will probably reply "Monopoly" and that is on a forum with a large number of socially challenged students.

Personally, I think it might be wise to wait and see how Thirsty Meeples pans out in the medium term. Is it going to last, or is it just there for the honeymoon period whilst it's all new?

I know a lot of gamers, and sadly a lot of them don't relate to life in the same way as normal consumers. They'll gladly pay £12 for an X-wing mini or £35 for the latest Dominion expansion - but ask them to "pay for the right to play" and they'll act like you're a robber baron. The attitude can often be "why should I pay BIG MONEY to sit in your cafe, when I can just go round to Graham's house?"

I would disagree strongly that you can open in a niche market like this and try and appeal immediately to the mass market. Anything like this is going to be funded by tapping into those geeks. They clearly don't spend much money on cars, going out, clothes or the opposite sex - so they have money to spend - but as above, it's all going to be about whether they feel they are getting value.

I cannot imagine the vast majority of people in this country coming to the cafe with time for a game. If you had a gamers pub - then possibly, but the timescales that people want to spend in a cafe are much smaller. How are you going to even pay the "games gurus"?

I would also add that in cafe environment, your games are going to physically degrade much faster. Things like Cards Against Humanity might not be a problem if the cards get all nasty or a few disappear - but some games will be unplayable with the lack of a few pieces. Imagine if you have BSG and one of the character cards like Roslin goes missing. The game is going to suck.

I don't even think you can do good market research. Gamers are the least reliable people in the world. "Would you come to my cafe?" "Yes." Meaning "no".
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Clip
Danger, Will Robinson.

The North American market is so completely different. They have board games and RPGs far more into the national consciousness than they ever will here. They used to play Ouija board, for god's sake. To base a gaming cafe here on a North American pattern would be exceptionally risky.

If you carry out a poll here of "best board game ever" most people will probably reply "Monopoly" and that is on a forum with a large number of socially challenged students.

Personally, I think it might be wise to wait and see how Thirsty Meeples pans out in the medium term. Is it going to last, or is it just there for the honeymoon period whilst it's all new?

I know a lot of gamers, and sadly a lot of them don't relate to life in the same way as normal consumers. They'll gladly pay £12 for an X-wing mini or £35 for the latest Dominion expansion - but ask them to "pay for the right to play" and they'll act like you're a robber baron. The attitude can often be "why should I pay BIG MONEY to sit in your cafe, when I can just go round to Graham's house?"

I would disagree strongly that you can open in a niche market like this and try and appeal immediately to the mass market. Anything like this is going to be funded by tapping into those geeks. They clearly don't spend much money on cars, going out, clothes or the opposite sex - so they have money to spend - but as above, it's all going to be about whether they feel they are getting value.

I cannot imagine the vast majority of people in this country coming to the cafe with time for a game. If you had a gamers pub - then possibly, but the timescales that people want to spend in a cafe are much smaller. How are you going to even pay the "games gurus"?

I would also add that in cafe environment, your games are going to physically degrade much faster. Things like Cards Against Humanity might not be a problem if the cards get all nasty or a few disappear - but some games will be unplayable with the lack of a few pieces. Imagine if you have BSG and one of the character cards like Roslin goes missing. The game is going to suck.

I don't even think you can do good market research. Gamers are the least reliable people in the world. "Would you come to my cafe?" "Yes." Meaning "no".

All very good points and duly noted. It is not a done deal by any stretch of the imagination and any extra information you or anyone can provide all goes towards a solid business plan. If it means that the model can;t work then so be it but at the moment it is in the recon stage :smile:
Reply 12
All very good points and duly noted. It is not a done deal by any stretch of the imagination and any extra information you or anyone can provide all goes towards a solid business plan. If it means that the model can;t work then so be it but at the moment it is in the recon stage :smile:

The problem with a games cafe is that you are trying to crush two completely incompatible concepts together. Games take ages. People don't come to cafes for ages.

Cafes make big money at breakfast, lunch and then tick over with a steady stream of women during the day.

You can't really earn on your lunch crowd when your tables are full of people not buying food and trying to understand how farms work on Carcassonne.

During the day, the staple women are not going to play your games. They are in for a relaxing few minutes, send a few texts and chat to their friends. If some hairy smelly guy comes up to them asking if they want to play some games, it's going to be like he's asking if they'd like some Ebola.

The only way I see it working is if you opened up really close to a university in a town with really cheap commercial rents and a strong games club, and priced your food and drinks right down the bottom. Otherwise, you'll have no daytime crowd and you'll be paying Games Gurus for nothing.

What I can see working would be a gamers pub. Far bigger investment (and monetary risk), but it fits the pattern much better. Longer time periods, revenues in the evening and weekends rather than the weekday daytime. Devote half the pub to gamers, the other half as a normal pub and it could work.

Even then, you'd have to be absolutely on top of an events programme - CCG tournaments with prizes, cons, vendors, and so on.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest