The Student Room Group

Passport name changes

My passport name is Alexander Alex (surname)

On all my official IDs like passports and driving license it says Alexander Alex

but on my exam results and university system it says Alex (surname)

So my first official forename is Alexander however I want it to be Alex Alexander.

How would I change it officially? Is there a change of passport form?
Reply 1
Original post by Cold Phoenix
My passport name is Alexander Alex (surname)

On all my official IDs like passports and driving license it says Alexander Alex

but on my exam results and university system it says Alex (surname)

So my first official forename is Alexander however I want it to be Alex Alexander.

How would I change it officially? Is there a change of passport form?

Could you please make it clearer what you're name is?

So is your name ALEXANDER ALEX {SURNAME} meaning that "ALEXANDER" is your forename and "ALEX" is your middle name?

OR is it ALEXANDER ALEX where "ALEXANDER" is your forename and "ALEX" is your surname?

Or are you a troll? :rolleyes:#

Either way, to change your name legally you need to get a Change of Name deed (Deed Poll). You can write one yourself and have it witnessed by anyone not related to you (I do not recommend doing this at all though) you can change your name via a solicitors (pricey) or via the UK Deed poll service (which can be done online for a cost of about £60 including 2 legal copies).

If you do change your name legally via deed poll, you need to contact HMRC to get a renewal passport with your new name and also send them the evidence (the deed poll), contact your bank and inform your educational institution so that they can amend your personal details on their systems :smile: Hope that clears that up for you.

Last thoughts: If you're name is ALEXANDER ALEX (SURNAME) then I don't really think there is any point in changing your name for the sake of vanity, seeing as they are essentially the same name.

- Cy
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cyiarik
Could you please make it clearer what you're name is?

So is your name ALEXANDER ALEX {SURNAME} meaning that "ALEXANDER" is your forename and "ALEX" is your middle name?

OR is it ALEXANDER ALEX where "ALEXANDER" is your forename and "ALEX" is your surname?

Or are you a troll? :rolleyes:#

Either way, to change your name legally you need to get a Change of Name deed (Deed Poll). You can write one yourself and have it witnessed by anyone not related to you (I do not recommend doing this at all though) you can change your name via a solicitors (pricey) or via the UK Deed poll service (which can be done online for a cost of about £60 including 2 legal copies).

If you do change your name legally via deed poll, you need to contact HMRC to get a renewal passport with your new name and also send them the evidence (the deed poll), contact your bank and inform your educational institution so that they can amend your personal details on their systems :smile: Hope that clears that up for you.

Last thoughts: If you're name is ALEXANDER ALEX (SURNAME) then I don't really think there is any point in changing your name for the sake of vanity, seeing as they are essentially the same name.

- Cy

Thank you for your response. I will have a think about it as it's going to create a lot of stress and paperwork if I change it.

Fyi my official name is Alexander, Alex ( forename, middle name)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending