The Student Room Group

Would you judge someone by their name?

Scroll to see replies

I think judging someone by name is stupid, because a name doesnt define a person or their personality- in most cases, a name might not even be relevant to a person's personality. Personally, judging someone by name is worse than by appearance.
It's funny a few of you equated someone's name with their families' potential social class.

My name is Felicity; pretty old fashioned, quite proper etc.
Yet, I come from a 100% working class background. :smile:

Names don't mean ****.
I'd like to say I'd treat everyone the same regardless of what name their parents chose for them. But in reality, someone's name will have an impact, even if it's just a fleeting one. I associate certain names with certain types of people, not only the typical ones, but based on my own experiences.

I'd prefer to not do that, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't. I think the vast majority of people do it whether they want to or not, and whether they're fully aware of it or not.
I honestly find this a bit bizarre. It's just a name and in no way does it reflect that individuals background or anything about them. I met a guy last week names Thor. I had to ask twice as it's an usual name but did I think of him any differently? No.

When I see a name, that's it. All I see is a name. I find it impossible to make judgements about someone because of it as I've never met them.
Reply 44
Original post by eagleclawsan
Is it actually possible not to judge, even a little?

What do you think?

e.g Oliver vs Tyler

To an extent I'd say yes, if a kid has a really chavy name chances are they come from a chavy family meaning they're more then likely going to be a chav. Of course there are exceptions

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm more likely to like or dislike a name depending on people I already know with that name.
Reply 46
Lmao, back in the days where Katie Hopkins was pure troll entertainment. I remember Peter Schofield owning her when he said "Well your daughter's name is India?"

I wouldn't judge anyone by their name but if someone unless it something extremely weird which I'll be thinking 'why would your parents name you that?!'
Stupid thing to do, I suppose you can't help your initial thoughts on it but you shouldn't act on it.

I often get judged for my name, but because they haven't met me in person. Ashley isn't a common name for a bloke. :cool:
Reply 48
Original post by OohBurn
Lmao, back in the days where Katie Hopkins was pure troll entertainment. I remember Peter Schofield owning her when he said "Well your daughter's name is India?"

I wouldn't judge anyone by their name but if someone unless it something extremely weird which I'll be thinking 'why would your parents name you that?!'

I still don't get why people have to go and name their kids after countries...
Reply 49
I'd judge the parents if they were called something like Chardonnay or Porsche or Destiny, yes.
Original post by Mackay
I'd judge the parents if they were called something like Chardonnay or Porsche or Destiny, yes.

What if the kid is called Porsche 911?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by Yeah dude
What if the kid is called Porsche 911?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then that would be acceptable.
Original post by Mackay
Then that would be acceptable.

what about if the kid is called blender101playa ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Subconsciously I do judge people by their names though it's not right. On the other hand, I dread to think what people think of me once I tell them my name.
Reply 54
Original post by Blazar
I still don't get why people have to go and name their kids after countries...

She did say she didn't name her daughter after the country India if I remember correctly :tongue: But yes, it can be a little weird.
No, and anyone who does is an idiot.
Original post by shahbaz
No, and anyone who does is an idiot.

Even if their name is lone wanderer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by OohBurn
She did say she didn't name her daughter after the country India if I remember correctly :tongue: But yes, it can be a little weird.

My name is India, and I was named after the character from Gone With The Wind, but people always assume - quite reasonably - that I was named directly after the country. Living with a "quirky" name is no fun at all - it leads to bullying and a subsequent lack of self-esteem in many cases.
Well if you see a name that you can't pronounce and has way too many "y"s and "w"s, you can almost guarantee that they are Welsh.
Reply 59
Original post by Blazar
My name is India, and I was named after the character from Gone With The Wind, but people always assume - quite reasonably - that I was named directly after the country. Living with a "quirky" name is no fun at all - it leads to bullying and a subsequent lack of self-esteem in many cases.

Well I think your name deserves an automatic 'aww' with the reason behind your name. It's sweet! But I can understand if others are not so accepting; some people are mean.

Quick Reply

Latest