The Student Room Group

Contents Insurance Help - Laptop not covered

Any advice regarding contents insurance please?

It seems *the* go-to company for student insurance is Endsleigh.
I went on there for a quote and the main things you of course want to insurance are your expensive items like laptops & phones.

It appears they do not insure any!? MSI laptops - of which I own one.

"If an item you want to specify does not appear in our list unfortunately, we are not able to insure it."

Any advice on alternatives?

Whilst I was on their website:
"Cover is not available for gadgets and phones more than 3 years old at the start of the policy."
Surely there's a lot of students with laptops that are 4 years old. Fortunately I am not one, but I thought that statement was a bit weird too.
Reply 1
I've just been looking at this too, there's a box at the top to add gadgets separately.
Original post by jaynebun
I've just been looking at this too, there's a box at the top to add gadgets separately.

Yes, there is - but they force you to select your laptop from their choices.
My laptop is made by MSI (a huge company!) and that is not a listed choice :frown:
Reply 3
That's ridiculous isn't it! Don't know if it's worth sending them an email or giving them a ring? Or can you get it covered on your house insurance?
My laptop was covered in the 'up to £1500 gadget insurance' selection

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lascelles
My laptop was covered in the 'up to £1500 gadget insurance' selection

Posted from TSR Mobile

I managed to get everything sorted via parents' home insurance :smile:

In reply to your statement, you sure it is Endsleigh? They cover PCs (i.e desktops) in the "Up to £1,500 cover for individual items (including PCs and TVs).". It clearly states "Key exclusions: Gadgets"

However, they consider a laptop a gadget (laptops are portable / desktop PC a lot harder for a thief to steal) - and laptops have to be insured via the gadget section :wink: Make sure it is covered as a separate gadget or a claim would be declined. At least that is how I read it.
(edited 9 years ago)
They told me my laptop was covered. They did it all for me at uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending