The Student Room Group

Could I still go to Uni...?

So here's the situation:

I got 8 A*s and 4 As for my GCSEs just over a year ago, which gave me 2nd place in the year group overall.

Somehow flopped my AS levels and got BCCD:
B - English Lit
C - Maths
C - German
D - Physics

I'm re-taking all of the Physics exams this year and doing A2 at the same time, and I dropped German since it's not the most useful subject for my uni course... which is Physics.

Some of my results came out very anomalous this year too... throughout the year I had been getting consistent A grades for English Lit on the essays, then when it came to the actual essay exam I got a D. The coursework was a high A which brought it up.
In the weeks before the Maths exams, I had been also getting consistent A grades on papers. I felt like the exam went well, even better than my practise ones, and came out with CCD for the units.
With Physics I got DEB, and as I said I'm retaking the whole year.

It seems to me as though there was no spread at all with the results this year. People doing Physics either got an A or a D; majority came out D or below. My teacher even said that the papers were written differently (it was nothing like all the practice ones I'd done) so talk about moving the goalposts!! Same situation happened with Maths... and a lot of other students found that there was a massive difference between their 2 English units.

I just really don't feel like these are the grades I should have gotten, especially as the exams went so well for me.

Got a few questions:
1. Is it worth getting the English Lit essay paper re-marked, since it's already a solid predicted A?
2. Should I consider getting any of the Maths remarked too, since I was only 5 UMS points off a B?
3. How do I put my Physics re-takes on my UCAS application, so they know I'm re-taking all of them?
4. Will I still be able to go to a good university with predicted ABB for Physics?
5. Foundation years are an option I've been considering... can you apply for those on UCAS?

Thanks!
Reply 1
1 & 2 - entirely your choices. The marks can go down as well as up, but if you're resitting papers anyway then it may not really be worth the money, but equally you've not a lot to lose if you are going to resit. If you're not going to resit the English paper then i'd potential consider a re-mark, but if you are, probably wouldn't bother as it's not awfully relevant to you course in terms of application (the concerns are the C and D grades in maths and physics). I'd potentially go for the remarks on the maths though, if you're at a high C then it's unlikely you'll get dropped to a D - but a B would do more favours for you at this stage.

3 - not sure, uh, possibly consult the sticky thread here. It's been a few years since I applied so i'll probably make a hash of it. It's not too difficult though I think, it's mainly a case of entering some parts twice (the modules? maybe) - once with the current grade, and again with a pending grade.

4 - define good. This site might give you a rough idea on the courses/universities available with ABB grades. Not sure if it's 100% accurate, so do check the university websites to be sure.

5 - foundation years are applied to through UCAS like a normal course, they just have a different course code so make sure you put the correct one in.

Original post by faithhawthorn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending