The Student Room Group

Applying to study medicine with re-taking year 12

Hi,

I have 3 A grade in my As levels. I went to a grammar school and achieved B C E E in year 12. Then I changed school and retook the year and I have achieved 3 A in biology, chemistry and psychology. I am about to start applying for medicine. Medicine is my passion but I think most universities don't accept candidates with 3 years of A level. Anyone know universities that do consider applicants like me. Really need help and thank you.
Original post by farhatislam
Hi,

I have 3 A grade in my As levels. I went to a grammar school and achieved B C E E in year 12. Then I changed school and retook the year and I have achieved 3 A in biology, chemistry and psychology. I am about to start applying for medicine. Medicine is my passion but I think most universities don't accept candidates with 3 years of A level. Anyone know universities that do consider applicants like me. Really need help and thank you.

Moved to medicine for you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are a couple of med schools that accept resits outside of the normal 2 years, but you would normally have to prove that there were extenuating circumstances.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies
Reply 3
Why were your AS grades so bad? Unless you have extenuating circumstances, I can't think of anywhere that will consider you, so I'm afraid your only route is likely to be Graduate Medicine.
Reply 4
Original post by Changing Skies
Moved to medicine for you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

huh?
Reply 5
Original post by theresheglows
There are a couple of med schools that accept resits outside of the normal 2 years, but you would normally have to prove that there were extenuating circumstances.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

If I am being honest, I don't have an extraneous circumstance and I am not willing to lie or make up one. Not sure man. I really wanted to do medicine :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by HCubed
Why were your AS grades so bad? Unless you have extenuating circumstances, I can't think of anywhere that will consider you, so I'm afraid your only route is likely to be Graduate Medicine.

There must be few universities that will consider me or there must be another route. Really wanted to do medicine
huh?

I moved this thread to the medicine section for you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Changing Skies
I moved this thread to the medicine section for you :smile:

Oh right lol. Thanks :smile: Still hopeless though. There does not seen to be many universities that consider resit students :s-smilie:
Reply 9
If I am being honest, I don't have an extraneous circumstance and I am not willing to lie or make up one. Not sure man. I really wanted to do medicine :frown:

You can't lie or make them up - there is a thorough application process that will find out if you don't have any extenuating circumstances.

Lots of people really want to do medicine; it isn't enough. There are enough excellent candidates that got everything right first time, that they don't need to look any further, unless you had a good reason to mess up. And of those candidates that meet the criteria to apply, 60% get rejected anyway.

So that's what you are up against. You need to understand that medicine applications do not follow the normal rules. There is no room in the process for considering your application. If you don't meet the minimum academic requirements, they don't look any further, it's an instant rejection. Harsh but true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending