The Student Room Group

11stone and 5'5, classed as fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Appeal to reason
Doob, 11st at 6'1?

You're skinnyfat/little muscle if you think you're carrying a fair bit of fat at that height and weight.

crap calculator, beyond 2.5hours/week there are no further options. Unless you carry little muscle, bmi is pretty useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

which is definitely why the NHS use it lol, its strange to see how people think they know better than the largest health organisation on this planet lmao

although i think im carrying a fair amount of fat, im probably not, i can still see the outline of my upper abs unflexed, but a year ago i was around 6% bodyfat because i never ate food
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
She doesn't look obese, she looks a bit overweight.

the figure on the left is obese, the OP looks very similar

either way, if she measures her BMI she can find out whether or not she truly is

what matters is that she is trying to lose weight which she already is doing, i dont see why you bothered to start try and argument on this section when you seldom post here
(edited 9 years ago)
I wouldn't say fat, just a little overweight. :smile:
Doob, 11st at 6'1?

You're skinnyfat/little muscle if you think you're carrying a fair bit of fat at that height and weight.

crap calculator, beyond 2.5hours/week there are no further options. Unless you carry little muscle, bmi is pretty useless. The "healthy" range for a 5'5 male is 50- 68 kg. I reckon I'd be like 10-12% bf if I cut down below 68...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Health weight for my height starts at 58kg

That's 25% off my current weight. Get on my level

And I'm not particularly muscular or fat....

If someone was 58kg at 5'10'' I'd be seriously concerned tbh
Original post by Doob
which is exactly why the NHS use it lol, its strange to see how people think they know better than the largest health organisation on this planet lmao

And that's why fairly lean rugby players get labelled as overweight/obese using bmi.
Most Olympic athletes are towards the top end of the supposed healthy range / overweight.
Your average 77kg Olympic weightlifter is 5'7. This gives them a bmi of 26.6 using this calculator. What's even more ridiculous is that they're at they're leanest at 77kg and actually train say 5kg heavier. Have you seen lu xiaojun? If he's overweight then I must be ****ing morbidly obese. (And I only have a bmi of 27.5)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
And that's why fairly lean rugby players get labelled as overweight/obese using bmi.
Most Olympic athletes are towards the top end of the supposed healthy range / overweight.
Your average 77kg Olympic weightlifter is 5'7. This gives them a bmi of 26.6 using this calculator. What's even more ridiculous is that they're at they're leanest at 77kg and actually train say 5kg heavier. Have you seen lu xiaojun? If he's overweight then I must be ****ing morbidly obese. (And I only have a bmi of 27.5)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt the OP has enough muscle mass to skew the BMI results enough to render it useless. My mate plays rugby and is 'obese' (he's 5'10, 12 stone and fairly lean).

What you are forgetting is that the BMI is meant for normal individuals who dont dedicate half of their lives to gaining muscle.

VO2 max is actually a better prediction of long term health, some obese individuals may actually have a better VO2 max than normal people with a lower weight, so even though they are overweight, their long term health may actually be better. These cases arent the norm though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ElleWls
Thank you so much for being so helpful, informative and honest. Im still in the process of losing the weight, ive lost 2stone in the past 6/7 months with pure hard work and healthy eating but i still have a long way to go which is the only discouraging thing about it, i wanna look decent right now and i dont think i do, frustrating! haha, thank you so much!!

Just stop eating processed food and junk food and eat home made meals instead for about 2 months and you will loose loads of weight. I lost 8 kgs that way. If I can do it so can you :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
Jesus Op lay off the pies.

i cant even remember the last time I had a pie. You could've put your point across in a nicer way, its hard trying to lose weight. I asked my question to get a view on how i look to other people so that I am more aware of how i look and ways i can improve.
Need pictures..
Reply 49
Original post by Doob
the OP looks obese, and i suspect here stats on the bmi would put her in the range of an unhealthy weight

i cant believe your trying to encourage her to continue her eating habits, this is exactly why there is an obesity epidemic.

you would encourage a chain smoker to continue, so why do it with bodyweight when it is almost as bad?

disgraceful

Hi. Thanks for stating your opinion, but you are wrong in calling me 'obese.' Technically speaking, I am classed 'overweight' and only need to lose about 4 pounds to be in my 'healthy weight' zone.
Reply 51
Original post by ElleWls
Hi. Thanks for stating your opinion, but you are wrong in calling me 'obese.' Technically speaking, I am classed 'overweight' and only need to lose about 4 pounds to be in my 'healthy weight' zone.

which is what i was getting at, as long as you lose weight its all good
Original post by ElleWls
i cant even remember the last time I had a pie. You could've put your point across in a nicer way, its hard trying to lose weight. I asked my question to get a view on how i look to other people so that I am more aware of how i look and ways i can improve.

So what methods are you trying now? Explain in detail, I will rectify any faults which could end up saving you a couple hundred pounds here and there.
Original post by Doob

either way, if she measures her BMI she can find out whether or not she truly is

what matters is that she is trying to lose weight which she already is doing, i dont see why you bothered to start try and argument on this section when you seldom post here

BMI measurements are bs. It would be better to discover ones body fat percentage, instead of a useless number that would lead you nowhere.
Reply 54
Original post by ElleWls
Ive uploaded a picture at http://s47.photobucket.com/user/ellewilis/media/3d4b9251-9985-4051-87f0-f5227793d68e_zps4af3d6e8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

would really love the honesty, i just dont wanna look disgustingly fat, im a size 14

You're not "disgustingly" fat.

If you're unhappy with the way you look, then yeah do something about it.

If you're doing it for male attention, then I'd say forget about it.
Reply 55
yes.
Reply 56
Original post by zKlown
You're not "disgustingly" fat.

If you're unhappy with the way you look, then yeah do something about it.

If you're doing it for male attention, then I'd say forget about it.

Thank you, I'm doing something about it and it's going well. Don't worry it's not for male attention, if a dude only likes you for your body, something's up with that. Thanks :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by ElleWls
Thank you, I'm doing something about it and it's going well. Don't worry it's not for male attention, if a dude only likes you for your body, something's up with that. Thanks :smile:

Good, because tbh you have a nice figure, but if you wanna lose some fat, that's down to you...
Original post by Doob

I have an issue with this picture, it's very easy to be fooled by things like this. She is undeniably thinner in the after picture, but she also has a tan and a different pose, plus a more flattering outfit (fitted bra and a different cut on the briefs).

OP, I think you could benefit from improving your posture. That immediately makes you look slimmer. If you perform exercises like squats, deadlifts, overhead press, pressups, planks (work on strengthening posterior chain and mid-section) your posture will improve, plus you'll get stronger which is a bonus.

I am 5'5'' and weigh 11.5 stone as well, but I wear a size 8-10 on top and a 12 on the bottom. I have genetically very big hips and bum and I train squats every day. My BMI is 26.5 but I don't pay any attention to this as I have been weight training consistently for 4 years now so I know a lot of this is muscle. You can see my triceps when my arms are relaxed, for example and some separation in my quads.

Basically, my point is that the scale is a load of rubbish. You want to change your body composition which means increasing muscle and losing fat. You might not lose weight, but you will lose inches/clothes sizes. I weigh as much now as I did 3 years ago, but I wear 2 clothes sizes smaller, for example.
Original post by Piggsil

I have an issue with this picture, it's very easy to be fooled by things like this. She is undeniably thinner in the after picture, but she also has a tan and a different pose, plus a more flattering outfit (fitted bra and a different cut on the briefs).

Why do you have an issue. The before and after picture is suited for its designated role to show a loss of mass. Losing mass will allow you to wear flattering clothing.

OP, I think you could benefit from improving your posture. That immediately makes you look slimmer. If you perform exercises like squats, deadlifts, overhead press, pressups, planks (work on strengthening posterior chain and mid-section) your posture will improve, plus you'll get stronger which is a bonus.

No, the improvement in posture will only make OP look slimmer if she suffers from hyperlordosis. Improvement in posture is mainly done by strengthening the weak muscles, and lengthening the tight muscles.
Also you have to first diagnose OP, before sending her off to do compounds. She could have sway back, lumbar lordosis, thoracic kyphosis. So by advising OP to go straight into weightlifting would do more harm than good.

I am 5'5'' and weigh 11.5 stone as well, but I wear a size 8-10 on top and a 12 on the bottom. I have genetically very big hips and bum and I train squats every day. My BMI is 26.5 but I don't pay any attention to this as I have been weight training consistently for 4 years now so I know a lot of this is muscle. You can see my triceps when my arms are relaxed, for example and some separation in my quads.

Squats everyday? Ok jpeg.

Basically, my point is that the scale is a load of rubbish. You want to change your body composition which means increasing muscle and losing fat. You might not lose weight, but you will lose inches/clothes sizes. I weigh as much now as I did 3 years ago, but I wear 2 clothes sizes smaller, for example.

The scale is glorious. [I]You might not lose weight but you will see a reduction in your clothes size?
are you a wizard.
This operation should be done in stages, reduction/gain. Try avoid mixing the two, you want to observe your progress whilst cutting and bulking.
OP should cut down, whilst aiming to retain as much muscle as possible. Cutting is done by staying in a caloric deficit, bulking is done by staying in a caloric surplus.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest