The Student Room Group

How to stop being so jealous?

I've had a few failed relationships this year and they have moved onto someone else, part of me wants them to be happy but then the other half is incredibly jealous. The last one I broke up with him and didn't want to be with him till I had heard he was seeing someone else, I know that he were to take me back it would last a couple of days till the novelty wore off and I remembered the reasons why we broke up in the first place.

Another instance where this has happened is with someone who I have had feelings for in the past (I don't anymore) and then when I see them commenting on someones wall or something (not that I Facebook stalk him but it appears on my newsfeed) I get jealous and start thinking ''who's she?!'' and ''why's he commenting on her wall?!''

I sound like a terrible person I know, how can I get over this?
Reply 1
does it really matter? dont you have more important things to worry about
Reply 2
Original post by kayleighisonfire
I've had a few failed relationships this year and they have moved onto someone else, part of me wants them to be happy but then the other half is incredibly jealous. The last one I broke up with him and didn't want to be with him till I had heard he was seeing someone else, I know that he were to take me back it would last a couple of days till the novelty wore off and I remembered the reasons why we broke up in the first place.

Another instance where this has happened is with someone who I have had feelings for in the past (I don't anymore) and then when I see them commenting on someones wall or something (not that I Facebook stalk him but it appears on my newsfeed) I get jealous and start thinking ''who's she?!'' and ''why's he commenting on her wall?!''

I sound like a terrible person I know, how can I get over this?

Natural human reaction to want to be the best and/or most important person. Even if you don't want to go out with someone (anymore), it still doesn't stop you feeling inferior to the next person they choose to go out with, especially if they left you for them.

Just find something else to take your mind off it, weather it be another potential partner or other hobby.
Reply 3
Original post by Omega3!
Natural human reaction to want to be the best and/or most important person. Even if you don't want to go out with someone (anymore), it still doesn't stop you feeling inferior to the next person they choose to go out with, especially if they left you for them.

Just find something else to take your mind off it, weather it be another potential partner or other hobby.

Hmm okay thank you. I left him so I shouldn't care.

Not a good time to find a new partner yet but thanks for your help anyway :smile:
Reply 4
Hmm okay thank you. I left him so I shouldn't care.

Not a good time to find a new partner yet but thanks for your help anyway :smile:

Just because you left him doesn't mean you're not subconsciously thinking "WTF! I'm a beast! How is he getting over me so quickly and already going out with some other sloot?!?!"

Will go away with time - trust!
It will pass eventually but it might take a little while.

Unfortunately I am exactly the same really and I used to think that feeling that way was wrong and I would try to push it away.

It's actually ok to feel jealous, it's perfectly normal. I found the more accepting I was of my feelings the less they stuck around and the quicker I seemed to get over it.
Reply 6
Original post by Omega3!
Just because you left him doesn't mean you're not subconsciously thinking "WTF! I'm a beast! How is he getting over me so quickly and already going out with some other sloot?!?!"

Will go away with time - trust!

You're a mind reader! That's exactly how I feel. My self esteem has suffered so badly since I found out (not that it was good to begin with)

Time is a great healer apparently.
Reply 7
Original post by Reeeeyah
It will pass eventually but it might take a little while.

Unfortunately I am exactly the same really and I used to think that feeling that way was wrong and I would try to push it away.

It's actually ok to feel jealous, it's perfectly normal. I found the more accepting I was of my feelings the less they stuck around and the quicker I seemed to get over it.

Thank you, I'll definitely try accepting it and see how it goes.
I find that as I've got older, I barely feel jealous anymore. I think it was partly because of one of my relationships: my Ex-GF was rather jealous & somewhat controlling. So after being on the receiving end, I thought there's no way I want to be like that to someone.
Reply 9
Original post by Tempest II
I find that as I've got older, I barely feel jealous anymore. I think it was partly because of one of my relationships: my Ex-GF was rather jealous & somewhat controlling. So after being on the receiving end, I thought there's no way I want to be like that to someone.

I wish mine wasn't, mine has gotten worse since I've gotten older. One of the reasons why we broke up were to do with the actions he did because of jealousy.
Reply 10
Trusting is he only way to stop being jealous:yep:
Original post by nevertoo
does it really matter? dont you have more important things to worry about

I don't get this in forums, people start a thread expecting serious answers and help/advice and then people say stuff like this... -_-
Reply 12
Original post by ChrisLay1
I don't get this in forums, people start a thread expecting serious answers and help/advice and then people say stuff like this... -_-

I didn't even see his post... oh well :smile:
Hey, I know the feeling. My ex who was my first ever love and we was both very much in love with each other but sadly the relationship came to an end after 9 months as she couldn't handle me going to university and living in accommodation were there will be other girls. We broke up the start of August and the first thing she done to me was add all the guys on her FB who she has had sexual relationships with to get at me (She is 25 yet still does stupid stuff like this). I see her doing status that she is with other guys and she calling them cute and whatever and so I deleted her from FB, and started to talk to other girls which took my mind off her and it worked. I am know friend with her on FB again and it doesn't bother me any more when she likes other guys pictures or whatever because I have moved on, talking to other girls and going out with my friends have gotten me over her. She got really upset when she seen how easily I got over her and she started to say she loves me and a am amazing and all that and to be honest I'm not over her completely I just don't show it and so it actually gives me a bit of an ego boost when I still see her saying she loves me etc. You just have to try forget about the guys, think that he is your ex and you have better times ahead. Start talking to other guys even just as friends and it will help. I personally think the main reason why you get jealous s because you see your ex has moved on while you haven't. To move on I suggest trying to just go out with friends, meet new guys etc and try forget about that guy and make sure you don't check is FB page. Best of luck to you!
I didn't even see his post... oh well :smile:

Ah okay, still it's annoying. I've had people do it in my threads.
Honestly, I'm same. But best thing to do, is to avoid them at all costs (social media and irl) . Being jealous means you may still have feelings for them somewhat.
Reply 16
Original post by Martina_
Honestly, I'm same. But best thing to do, is to avoid them at all costs (social media and irl) . Being jealous means you may still have feelings for them somewhat.

I didn't really have feelings for him he was a rebound to get over the one before him (has horrible as it sounds he doesn't know this though) I've never had him on Facebook and I'v only seen him once since the break up which was over 2 months ago so that part should't be too difficult although I have been known to check up on him on Facebook. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending