The Student Room Group

Welbeck DSFC 2015 Entry

Thread for those wishing to join Welbeck - The Defence Sixth Form College in September 2015.

Scroll to see replies

I was just wondering, Welbeck looks like an amazing college and I would love to go there as I want to become a member of the army. I can get the grades (I hope) to get in but am not sure about whether I want to do engineering?

It interests me but I wondered whether through Welbeck you can go into other routes in the army such as ballistics or veterinary core? Or if it is just an engineering route?

Just a thought?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 2
Im current looking to go through there to go into the signals, i believe they only have students who are going into the technical corps's but i do not know completely
Reply 3
Im going to a open day this Saturday to hopefully get more info and get a feel for the college
Thanks, Im going on the open day on the 1st November :smile: Have fun tomorrow!!!
Reply 5
Original post by bemonday10
I was just wondering, Welbeck looks like an amazing college and I would love to go there as I want to become a member of the army. I can get the grades (I hope) to get in but am not sure about whether I want to do engineering?

It interests me but I wondered whether through Welbeck you can go into other routes in the army such as ballistics or veterinary core? Or if it is just an engineering route?

Just a thought?

Thanks in advance :smile:

When you're at the college, in the second year you have to choose one of the four technical corps to be sponsored through university by (REME, RE, Signals or Logistics)

Then at Sandhurst you're guaranteed a place in this corps on commissioning, however it is possible to transfer to other corps/regiments during training. Although this doesn't happen very often, it is possible.

Welbeck is quite focused on engineering, everyone does maths and physics in the first year and everyone does maths in the second year, and the vast majority of university courses on offer are engineering based.
Reply 6
As you said you are hoping to go into the royal signals, what 2 courses do you think i should go for if i get in to best prepare me for that side of things ?
Reply 7
Original post by Jakl121
As you said you are hoping to go into the royal signals, what 2 courses do you think i should go for if i get in to best prepare me for that side of things ?

I'm doing business and geography so not specifically related to the signals, it depends what degree course you want to do that determines what A levels you choose. There's a fairly wide range of a level courses on offer, can do electronics, DT, chemistry, anything technical really. I'm planning on doing business management at uni so that I have something to go into after the army.

I would say choose subjects which you enjoy and are good at, and may be useful to get onto the degree course you want. For the army it doesn't matter what you have a degree in, as long as you have one. The skills and knowledge that you need for the actual job you will be trained in before joining the corps anyway.
Reply 8
How long did you have to wait for confirmation email that you could attend the open day ?
Reply 9
Not very long maybe a week at the most, then i just had to reply to the email saying i had got a place on the open day to confirm i could attend
Reply 10
Really enjoyed the open day today really informative but unfortunately no royal signals were there to speak to :frown:. It is defiantly worth going to see and has made me set on getting in there now
Original post by KWEBB
How long did you have to wait for confirmation email that you could attend the open day ?

It took mine 5 days to come through on email :-)
Reply 12
Thanks . I'm assuming I won't be able to attend the open day then as it's been 10 days .

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont know, you'd have thought they'd still send an email? Maybe it's just a late reply? :smile:
hey,
I've got my interview for welbeck with the army on Friday so nervous, then the medical in the next month.
Then I have a open day at welbeck and officer insight course in November.

Wish me luck and good luck potential welbeck 15 entry :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Suzie Yaldiz
hey,
I've got my interview for welbeck with the army on Friday so nervous, then the medical in the next month.
Then I have a open day at welbeck and officer insight course in November.

Wish me luck and good luck potential welbeck 15 entry :smile:

I have too been contacted about a interview fro this wednesday and going on a insight course from the 18th to 20th of november. Which one you on?
Original post by Jakl121
I have too been contacted about a interview fro this wednesday and going on a insight course from the 18th to 20th of november. Which one you on?

Hi jake I'm on the generic officer insight course at sywnnerton.which one are you on ?
Reply 17
Original post by Suzie Yaldiz
Hi jake I'm on the generic officer insight course at sywnnerton.which one are you on ?

Hi suzie that's the same course i am on at synnerton from the 18th to 20th really looking forward to it.

Original post by Will Deary
Hey all,

I'm Will and I'm at DSFC at the moment, and I'm loving it! I'm part of 14Entry, so I started about a month ago.
year ago I was in exactly your position, and so I know what each of you should expect (if you're an army student too)! Feel free to ask me any questions either on here or on Facebook and I'll try help you out. If you aren't Army, ill but you in contact with someone from your chosen service to let you know what is expected of you.

Good luck to you all!

Will Deary

Hey will i was just wondering if you could confirm what the fitness assessment is for the Army at welbeck as in the emails etc that i have recieved its 50 push ups 50 situps in 2 mins and the 1.5 mile run where as other people have told me its just a 7.2 in a bleep test?

Thanks Jake
Original post by Will Deary
Hey all,

I'm Will and I'm at DSFC at the moment, and I'm loving it! I'm part of 14Entry, so I started about a month ago.
year ago I was in exactly your position, and so I know what each of you should expect (if you're an army student too)! Feel free to ask me any questions either on here or on Facebook and I'll try help you out. If you aren't Army, ill but you in contact with someone from your chosen service to let you know what is expected of you.

Good luck to you all!

Will Deary

Hi, I'm applying via the army and have a few questions. How should you prepare for your filter interview. Do you know how many people applied? Want happens if you pass the academic entry requirements but do not get your expected grades?

thank you!
Original post by Jakl121
Hi suzie that's the same course i am on at synnerton from the 18th to 20th really looking forward to it.

Hi Jake,
I cant wait I'm so excited see you there at least ill know someone :smile:
I can tell you about swynnerton as a place as I'm going there this weekend if you would like?

Quick Reply