The Student Room Group

DSA/ Laptop Loan

Hi,
I will be starting university in a few weeks and have declared a long term medical condition. For this reason I have been given a laptop loan. However, the laptop is very heavy and I am worried this will make my condition worse.
I was told I could apply for DSA after a trial period of having the laptop. Is this how it works??

Any advice would be great. Thanks!
This is a new one to me.
You can apply for DSA regardless of a trial period.
Who has set this up?
Reply 2
Original post by balotelli12
This is a new one to me.
You can apply for DSA regardless of a trial period.
Who has set this up?

Oh ok. I was told about this by a disability advisor at the uni. He told me it would make my application for DSA 'stronger'
This makes no sense at all. I have been loaned equiptment by my previous uni because mine hadn't been sorted out in time.

DSA doesn't work like that. They're not interested whether the uni has loaned you anything. They just want to know what study needs you have due to disability.
Reply 4
I think you need to ignore your disability adviser and find someone who knows more about DSA! You can loan equipment from your uni in short term to help you get going, but this will have no significance on DSA. Just be sure to mention in the assessment of need that you do not ordinarily have a computer.
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
This makes no sense at all. I have been loaned equiptment by my previous uni because mine hadn't been sorted out in time.

DSA doesn't work like that. They're not interested whether the uni has loaned you anything. They just want to know what study needs you have due to disability.

Original post by NJones
I think you need to ignore your disability adviser and find someone who knows more about DSA! You can loan equipment from your uni in short term to help you get going, but this will have no significance on DSA. Just be sure to mention in the assessment of need that you do not ordinarily have a computer.

Thank you for the replies. I will definitely go back to the disability team and ask them if I can apply for DSA.
I feel I know more then them at this point as when I had my Needs Assessment nothing was mentioned about it until I asked. :frown:
You don't need to ask if you can apply. You can just apply.
Reply 7
Original post by OU Student
You don't need to ask if you can apply. You can just apply.

Because I have had a Needs Assessment with them, I need them to give me a copy of the report and to sign the application form.
:s-smilie:
Reply 8
At the moment there is just a concern that carrying the laptop will cause a problem. It could be that the uni advisor wants to see if it actually does present a practical problem for which DSA may cater. It's not necessarily making the application "stronger", but it would be more comprehensive and inclusive of all problems.

Whether delaying an application is a sensible approach overall, is a matter for debate.

Quick Reply

Latest