The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My language teachers always said English is one of the hardest languages to learn because there are so many irregular verbs or something - but obviously it doesn't seem difficult if it's your mother tongue
Reply 21
Basque or Finnish.

Both are flat-out bonkers.

Japanese and Mandarin are child's play compared to them.

English is reletively easy; English's irregular verbs are mostly the very same irregular verbs in German, with the same forms. English Grammar is also again reletively simple compared to German.
i'd say irish is the hardest
Reply 23
I reckon Basque/Euskara
I'd say finnish, even though many of my friends speak it I have absolutely no clue what they are talking about and still I'm living in a small town where about 10% of the population speaks finnish
Reply 25
BovineBeast
Now that's not quite true. Both are descendents of Middle (and Old) Chinese. Now, Cantonese resembles Middle Chinese closer in some respects (for example, allowing stops (p, t, and k) at the ends of words), and is further in others (Middle Chinese had only four tones, for example, whereas Cantonese has 6).

Middle Chinese had 4 tone classes each with a higher and lower register, making 8 tones. Cantonese has 9 tones: 6 non-entering/unstopped and 3 entering/stopped, though the unstopped tones are often grouped with the high, mid and low level tones, giving only 6.

Latest

Trending

Trending