The Student Room Group

Oxford Theology Applicant- need help!

Hi, I'm applying to oxford for 2015 entry and I'm in a pickle. It's been my dream since I was tiny to go to Oxford so I want to do everything I can to help me.
1) I've been predicted AAA, which is what they ask for, but would it be worth nagging my RS teacher for an A* to make me stand out? Got 4 solid As at AS so know I can get an A* in something at least, if not in RS then in History or English Lit
2) Is 4 books sufficient to say I've read? Or should I put 5?
3) shall I apply to Christ Church, even though it's oversubscribed so may be harder to get in, or play it safer by applying to another college eg Trinity?
4) what shall I put in my personal statement?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauzjw
Hi, I'm applying to oxford for 2015 entry and I'm in a pickle. It's been my dream since I was tiny to go to Oxford so I want to do everything I can to help me.
1) I've been predicted AAA, which is what they ask for, but would it be worth nagging my RS teacher for an A* to make me stand out? Got 4 solid As at AS so know I can get an A* in something at least, if not in RS then in History or English Lit Nagging anyone is not the best way to go about it. Discuss the matter in an adult way and be guided by them.
2) Is 4 books sufficient to say I've read? Or should I put 5 You can't possibly do justice to 5 or even 4 books in a PS. It's not a test to see how many books you have read. If there are a couple of books which you feel have made a significant contribution to the way you feel about theology, then talk about them, but simply namedropping titles will get you nowhere.
3) shall I apply to Christ Church, even though it's oversubscribed so may be harder to get in, or play it safer by applying to another college eg Trinity? There are no safe bets. Apply to where you want to go, or make an open application.
4) what shall I put in my personal statement?!? Why this course? Why me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

See bold above.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
See bold above.

1) by nagging I meant asking, guess that came out badly but I have a really close relationship with all my teachers so they wouldn't mind me nagging!

I also already have the 5 books in my PS, just mentioned that they've given me an awareness of certain things etc and my form tutor said it was 'excellent' but it's way too long so I thought I could cut out a lot of characters by getting rid of a book title

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauzjw
1) by nagging I meant asking, guess that came out badly but I have a really close relationship with all my teachers so they wouldn't mind me nagging!

I also already have the 5 books in my PS, just mentioned that they've given me an awareness of certain things etc and my form tutor said it was 'excellent' but it's way too long so I thought I could cut out a lot of characters by getting rid of a book title

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you make meaningful statements about the books, they shouldn't be there, and I can't imagine that you have the characters to do that without losing something much more important elsewhere.
Reply 4
Unless you make meaningful statements about the books, they shouldn't be there, and I can't imagine that you have the characters to do that without losing something much more important elsewhere.

I have written that I have read the books, and why I have read them (context of the abrahamic religions, how religion interacts with everyday life etc) but I haven't gone into a great deal or any type of book review and I've been told that's the right thing to do.

My question is, if I write about 4 books rather than 5 will this harm my PS in any way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauzjw
I have written that I have read the books, and why I have read them (context of the abrahamic religions, how religion interacts with everyday life etc) but I haven't gone into a great deal or any type of book review and I've been told that's the right thing to do.

My question is, if I write about 4 books rather than 5 will this harm my PS in any way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know where you have got this idea that you have to write about 5 books from. You don't have to write about any books at all, but if you do so, then it has to be a reflection of what these books have done to further your suitability for the course. It most definitely isn't a review. A personal statement is about you, not a bunch of books.
Reply 6
I don't know where you have got this idea that you have to write about 5 books from. You don't have to write about any books at all, but if you do so, then it has to be a reflection of what these books have done to further your suitability for the course. It most definitely isn't a review. A personal statement is about you, not a bunch of books.

All I know is that I have to do lots of extra reading, thus I have read lots (or have bought the books to read), and it's very hard to show a passion in theology in any way other than the reading. I just want to know if 4 books is enough to have read if books are the only way I have shown a passion for the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauzjw
All I know is that I have to do lots of extra reading, thus I have read lots (or have bought the books to read), and it's very hard to show a passion in theology in any way other than the reading. I just want to know if 4 books is enough to have read if books are the only way I have shown a passion for the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think a better way would be to show what lines of thought you are developing from your reading, rather than just talking about the books.
Reply 8
I think a better way would be to show what lines of thought you are developing from your reading, rather than just talking about the books.

Yes clearly I have included that, why would I just talk about the books? I have written why I read the books and what I gained from and was just checking that I had included enough as I have nothing else to talk about eg no extended project relevant to the area

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauzjw
Yes clearly I have included that, why would I just talk about the books? I have written why I read the books and what I gained from and was just checking that I had included enough as I have nothing else to talk about eg no extended project relevant to the area

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't see how you will have much space left if you have written about 4 books, so I don't know what else you have put in. If I were writing the statement I would be discussing what branches of theology interested me most and why, and which aspects of the course I was most looking forward to studying in more depth. I obviously can't help you any further.
Original post by lauzjw
and it's very hard to show a passion in theology in any way other than the reading.

Some people go to hear a person deliver a lecture on a short section of a theological work every Friday, Saturday or Sunday. :tongue:
Reply 11
I can't see how you will have much space left if you have written about 4 books, so I don't know what else you have put in. If I were writing the statement I would be discussing what branches of theology interested me most and why, and which aspects of the course I was most looking forward to studying in more depth. I obviously can't help you any further.

Thank you for your help, I've included all that and related it to the books which has cut down on the space rather than addressing them all separately

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by nulli tertius
Some people go to hear a person deliver a lecture on a short section of a theological work every Friday, Saturday or Sunday. :tongue:

Not relevant to an academic study though really, and that would require me to have a faith, which I d o not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauzjw
Not relevant to an academic study though really, and that would require me to have a faith, which I d o not.

Not at all.

Go and hear a really good scholarly preacher
Here are the questions for consideration for writing the statement of purpose for getting the degree in theology 2017:

How studying theology will help you to achieve your life goals.

Why do you think the chosen program fully corresponds to your educational needs.

What is the purpose of theology studying? What is religion’s role in a spiritual evolution of the society?

What is the purpose of religion in the modern world of science domination?

What’s your position in life: Do you believe in divine, inspiration, or random processes in the universe.

How can you contribute to the future studying and where are you intended to start.

How do you plan to work afterward: professor, author or congregational practitioner

Not all the question universally apply for all universities, however, i took a part in the admission several times and here's what i found out:
“In the admission process I notice lots of common misconceptions, I belong to the admission committee who check statements of purpose for those students who strive to become a theologist. Probably the most severe problem with their admission writing is the wrong understanding of the purpose of admission writing. It great when students have their strong stances and religious beliefs but the theology studying is not about religion, not about writing about how you believe in God or how you were influenced by something of a divine nature, it is about giving the insight about your academic strengths in theology as a researcher, learner and investigator and what it is you can enrich the discipline in the future.”
Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by EmilyBrown1
Here are the questions for consideration for writing the statement of purpose for getting the degree in theology 2017:

How studying theology will help you to achieve your life goals.

Why do you think the chosen program fully corresponds to your educational needs.

What is the purpose of theology studying? What is religion’s role in a spiritual evolution of the society?

What is the purpose of religion in the modern world of science domination?

What’s your position in life: Do you believe in divine, inspiration, or random processes in the universe.

How can you contribute to the future studying and where are you intended to start.

How do you plan to work afterward: professor, author or congregational practitioner

Not all the question universally apply for all universities, however, i took a part in the admission several times and here's what i found out:
“In the admission process I notice lots of common misconceptions, I belong to the admission committee who check statements of purpose for those students who strive to become a theologist. Probably the most severe problem with their admission writing is the wrong understanding of the purpose of admission writing. It great when students have their strong stances and religious beliefs but the theology studying is not about religion, not about writing about how you believe in God or how you were influenced by something of a divine nature, it is about giving the insight about your academic strengths in theology as a researcher, learner and investigator and what it is you can enrich the discipline in the future.”
Good luck!

This is a 2014 thread.

Now closed :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending