The Student Room Group

Drama GCSE? Your opinions?

Hey, so I've only recently started my GCSE's and I'm considering changing to Drama, for one of my GCSE's. So I wanted to know what did you think about Drama? Was/Is it good/bad? How much work is involved etc...
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by MissLogically
Hey, so I've only recently started my GCSE's and I'm considering changing to Drama, for one of my GCSE's. So I wanted to know what did you think about Drama? Was/Is it good/bad? How much work is involved etc...
Thanks in advance :smile:

I switched to drama and to be honest, just starting year 12 now, I really regret it. I got good grades in all my subjects( 2A*s, 8 A's and a B) but in drama I got a D. I'm not just saying that as i failed though- in my class of 16, 3 people got Cs, 2 got Fs and the rest of us got Ds and Es. Personally I was only really hoping for a B and I was quite shocked but some of the people in my class should have got an A easily. One of my friends was one of the Cs and she has had short roles in some films, performed at our local theatre and has attended stagewise since she was young. It could've just been our teacher but I feel I could've stuck with the subject I was im and got a decent grade.

That is just my experience though. Think about why you want to switch fro the subject that you're currently in and also see what other options are available. If you can, talk to people who are now in year 12 who did drama at your school last year, to see what grades their class came out with overall.
Original post by Mariee16
I switched to drama and to be honest, just starting year 12 now, I really regret it. I got good grades in all my subjects( 2A*s, 8 A's and a B) but in drama I got a D. I'm not just saying that as i failed though- in my class of 16, 3 people got Cs, 2 got Fs and the rest of us got Ds and Es. Personally I was only really hoping for a B and I was quite shocked but some of the people in my class should have got an A easily. One of my friends was one of the Cs and she has had short roles in some films, performed at our local theatre and has attended stagewise since she was young. It could've just been our teacher but I feel I could've stuck with the subject I was im and got a decent grade.

That is just my experience though. Think about why you want to switch fro the subject that you're currently in and also see what other options are available. If you can, talk to people who are now in year 12 who did drama at your school last year, to see what grades their class came out with overall.

What board were you on? :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by bonnie_x
What board were you on? :redface:

Edexcel
Reply 4
I wouldn't recommend it - out of the entire year at my school, only 1 person got an A*

I think most came out with C/D even though they were predicted way higher. Both the paper and acting is marked really harshly apparently.
Personally, I hated it. Mainly because of the people in my class (snobby Performing Arts type as you'd expect) but I also didn't like how much coursework there was and how little performing there was. I, too, regret doing it. Got a B in it, but wish I'd chosen a different subject and gotten a higher grade.

I enjoyed acting as a hobby, but didn't enjoy Drama at GCSE.
Edexcel

I'm on OCR - do you think it would be worth me changing? I'm in year 10 :redface:
DO NOT DO IT. Drama ruined my life. For one, you get marked on other people's performances. Two, the coursework is strict and marked harshly. You don't get to be very creative, even though they tell you that you're allowed to be. If you're not a super confident type then no one will listen to your ideas and you'll end up doing a stupid piece you don't like. Also, it takes up way too much of your time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by bonnie_x
I'm on OCR - do you think it would be worth me changing? I'm in year 10 :redface:

In the end it's your decision. Could you ask around to see how the previous year found it? Personally I would look to see what other options are open, then decide.
Reply 9
Original post by coolerthanbeans
Personally, I hated it. Mainly because of the people in my class (snobby Performing Arts type as you'd expect) but I also didn't like how much coursework there was and how little performing there was. I, too, regret doing it. Got a B in it, but wish I'd chosen a different subject and gotten a higher grade.

I enjoyed acting as a hobby, but didn't enjoy Drama at GCSE.

Well done on your B!

It was the same for me to, I loved drama, I was in the school play each year and I still go to my performing arts group but I hated going to my actual lessons.
Original post by Edminzodo
DO NOT DO IT. Drama ruined my life. For one, you get marked on other people's performances. Two, the coursework is strict and marked harshly. You don't get to be very creative, even though they tell you that you're allowed to be. If you're not a super confident type then no one will listen to your ideas and you'll end up doing a stupid piece you don't like. Also, it takes up way too much of your time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed! In the month before the exam, I was at school from 3-6 every day rehearsing with my group and the teacher still had the nerve to say we had to put in more time.

Because of all the time I was putting into drama it meant that revising for my other subjects( especially my earlier exams) really suffered.
Well done on your B!

Thanks! :smile:
I don't see why so many people had such a crap experience? Last year, the year 11 students got mostly A*-C at my school, only 1 or 2 getting a D I believe. We never had to do extra hours at lunch or after school, if you work hard in your lessons it's easy to get the 10-15 minutes of acting that you need.

I think one thing that benefits my school is that our drama teacher used to teach at a performing arts school, yet he is beyond laid back. He knows that by doing loads of extra, stupidly unnecessary work it won't actually get you anywhere so he just helps us do the right amount. The only hard bit, really, is the written part but if you just figure out the structure and spec. you're fine.

Also, even if you're not confident then just go into a group with people you're comfortable with, or go in a smaller group. We aren't forced to do anything in my class, you can choose your group, you can choose your script, you can choose your lighting and all the rest of it. I don't know if it's just me, but my Drama experience is amazing and I wish I had more drama lessons just to have more fun....I look forward to them and think it's taken me away from the shy person I was in year 8/9.
Reply 13
I'm in year 12 at the moment and took drama for GCSE and am taking it again for A level because I loved it so much and got an a*.

Drama isn't for everyone, if you struggle with speaking out and voicing your own opinions then drama might not be for you.

The coursework actually isn't that bad, just get it done when they say to do it. We did three different pieces; a review and two other pieces on different topics.

By far the best part of the actual GCSE is the final group piece. You get quite a while to do it and if you find a script you really love then it makes everything easier. Everyone in my group got a*s in the final group piece and me and another girl got 100%. This was mainly down to how much we enjoyed the piece and so really wanted to achieve well.

I'm shocked with how low some people are saying the grades were that their school achieved. Everyone in my class achieved b minimum. We did have brilliant teachers who were so enthusiastic and got us tickets to go to the theatre which really helps when creating your own performance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
I didn't further study drama, however I found it as a sit off at GCSE considering the amount of effort I put into and I got A if your not shy and enthusiastic then take it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing GCSE drama ATM and I'm really enjoying it. You learn so many new skills and its really good fun. All employers and universities like the fact that it builds up your confidence and teaches you to work in a team. Apart from that its good fun. However there are downsides. Drama is an art witch means your work is very opinion bace, like art and music. One person may like your performance and others may not. This is why its a lot harder than it looks and may people get bad grades however its good fun, a great learning experience and enjoyable time. If your serious about changing then do. You will enjoy the subject but just be aware that everyone has a different opinion.
I am in year 9 and I get nervous even just speaking in front off my class but I really would love to be an actor and want to be more confident do you think I should do it?
Original post by Confusedlil1
I am in year 9 and I get nervous even just speaking in front off my class but I really would love to be an actor and want to be more confident do you think I should do it?

this thread is 6 years old, I think it would be better if you started a new thread.
Original post by Confusedlil1

Remember, unrealistic dreams won't put food on the table. Also, a six-year-old thread isn't going to give you any answers.

Quick Reply

Latest