The Student Room Group

Chemistry Degree

Does a Chemistry degree hold much more weight than other degrees such as law, business, psychology, English, history etc

Also what is the likelihood of finding a good well payed job with a chemistry degree.
Is Chemistry an over subscribed course meaning more competition with other people ?
Reply 1
I don't have any numbers but I wouldn't call it oversubscribed particularly - it's not unpopular by any means, but no way is it on the same page as stuff like medicine, law, economics etc. but all top universities will still have a fair few applicants per place. More of the jobs depend on your own technical performance though, so you don't necessarily need to go to the top 5 universities to land yourself a decent job. It's probably not uncommon to see good universities offering chemistry places in clearing.

Lots of people go into the finance sector, for some reason. I guess they'd had enough of chemistry, but as it's a numerate degree those type of sectors are within reach. It can be a pretty intense subject, with lots of maths at times, and trains reasonable logic and problem-solving type skills.

Define good / well paying. Typically, graduate schemes (i'm applying now...) seem to sit anywhere from about ~22k to ~35k. Oil companies being the top end of that (i.e. Shell), with a fair few knocking around 27 - 30k in big internationals and areas like nuclear technology. Graduate schemes themselves are reasonably promising, as with all areas, as they can act as a fast track into more management type roles, where the money is. Technical sales jobs aren't uncommon, and come with particularly good perks (usually companies cars, phones, decent salary, lots of travelling). Graduate schemes are always pretty fiercely competitive though, but I think at worst, entry level jobs are usually analytical type roles (QA/QC technician) which may be more like 18-22k.

Basically, the way I see it is: you have a technical skill with chemistry. This opens up the huge chemical industry, from engineering type firms right across to medical firms, consumer products, and specialty chemicals. If you don't want to actually work as a chemist of some descript then the other options are all still there.

It's difficult to compare degrees - so whether it holds more weight or not is likely well down to the type of role. I've not yet met anyone who hasn't had respect for it as a degree subject though (and that's 14 months working within the chemical sector, interactions including colleagues from non-STEM backgrounds).
I'm biased but I would pick chemistry/physics over business, English, history etc ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

You are best asking lecturers about careers becase they will be better informed. I believe there are great careers in the oil and gas industry but people usually have a masters or PhD.
Chemistry is quite competitive. I can tell you from experience. I'm in my first year.
Is anyone studying chemistry?
I was hoping this was a chemistry degree thread?
Any first year advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending