The Student Room Group
Reply 1
What have you applied to do?
Reply 2
I have applied to do Economics but I want to change as I am worried I won't be able to cope with its Maths content. I have heard its very mathematical at Cambridge.
Reply 3
I think most colleges encourage people who struggle or change their interests to move onto a different course. You'll probably have to stick with it for your first year though.

As for the Economics course, I don't know much about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had a high level of maths. Cambridge is very keen on that sort of thing.
Reply 4
angelzland
I have applied to do Economics but I want to change as I am worried I won't be able to cope with its Maths content. I have heard its very mathematical at Cambridge.

I do not think you'd be encouraged - or even allowed - to switch to sps in the first week for the reason you give above. I think if you offer the reason that you're worried about your maths, they'll just provide you with help in your weaker areas.

However, on the other hand, if you're academic interests had changed, and SPS was genuinely more interesting now than Economics to you, then you'd have a better grounds for wanting to transfer. I guess if you are thinking about changing this early on, I'd probably try and get hold of an sps reading list and read the books. This would put you in good stead for a discussion with the SPS dos at your college (I believe this is somebody you'd have to convince as well as your admissions tutor).

It sounds to me like you'd better off just getting extra help in maths:smile: Perhaps at the end of part 1 you could make the decision? It seems really sad that you'd have done so well to get a place for Economics then change to SPS before even giving your preferred subject a go.

Latest

Trending

Trending