The Student Room Group

How expensive is it living in London as a student?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelfox
Like I said in the OP, it would probably be Westminster that I'd go to, not one of the top unis in London. However I've always wanted to live in London.

My other realistic options would be Essex, Swansea, Hull and one more uni which I need to plan.

I'd say London's worth it but you need to make a solid effort in finding a room in advance, and you have to prove to be a good roommate.

My house had 100+ applications and only six, including me, got in. So maybe that's something to consider. Finding a room is like finding a job at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Like I said in the OP, it would probably be Westminster that I'd go to, not one of the top unis in London. However I've always wanted to live in London.

My other realistic options would be Essex, Swansea, Hull and one more uni which I need to plan.

Sorry, didnt realise you were the OP when I quoted.

If you want to live in London then its probably worth it, and depending on how your life goes, you might not get another chance. My personal opinion is that most people would probably enjoy university more elsewhere but everyone is different and you wont know unless you try. Although having said that, none of Swansea, Hull or Colchester would be top of my list of 'great cities to live in' (althougth admittedly I've never actually been to any of them so might just be prejudiced...), so if they were the options rather than cities like Manchester/Bristol/etc, London would look a bit more appealing.

edit: I've attended both London and non-London universities, for what its worth. But obviously that doesn't mean that you or anyone else would necessarily feel the same as me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by JulietheCat
I'd say London's worth it but you need to make a solid effort in finding a room in advance, and you have to prove to be a good roommate.

My house had 100+ applications and only six, including me, got in. So maybe that's something to consider. Finding a room is like finding a job at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How exactly do you prove to be a good roommate?

I assume minimal bad/annoying habits?
Right then, hopefully off to uni next year. I was thinking of going to Westminster to do Law.

As I'd be staying in central London, how much more expensive is it in terms of everything you'd need (e.g. food + drinking, living, transport, nights out etc)

Is it easy to get a part time job?

To clarify - your maintenance loans go up right?

I survived on £4.50 a week
Definitely true about full time getting a home. I have moved down this week and it's hellish I can't find anything or rather none answer me and when they do, they then don't turn up to viewings. But compared to Glasgow its defos dearer. But for like eating out and drinking etc seems like you can find some good deals.
Original post by JulietheCat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by The Right
I survived on £4.50 a week

BS

Original post by lyrical_lie
Definitely true about full time getting a home. I have moved down this week and it's hellish I can't find anything or rather none answer me and when they do, they then don't turn up to viewings. But compared to Glasgow its defos dearer. But for like eating out and drinking etc seems like you can find some good deals.

Go for private student accommodation? I know places that still have studios ava
Original post by i360
BS

Fair enough, your opinion.
Reply 27
Original post by The Right
Fair enough, your opinion.

It's possible if you have no social life, don't travel, and live with your parents.
Original post by i360
It's possible if you have no social life, don't travel, and live with your parents.

I forgot to say after rent and travel(I pay outright for annual travel card). You are right no social life. I get everything from Aldi.
£4.50 won't even get you a pint in many of the pubs!
Reply 30

Swansea! Lots of money saved too :wink:
You can check out the basic grade/points requirements for all Unis offering Law here : http://www.whatuni.com/

Remember you need to spread your 5 choices across a range of grade requirements with most choices at the same level as your predicted grades with at least 1 or 2 at a much lower level to give yourself a sensible Insurance choice. You also need to go to some Open Days - you could hate any or all of the Uni you've named, including Westminster.
Hello all,

International students will probably find that living and studying in the UK can be more expensive than in their home countries. Moreover, London can be considerably more expensive than other UK locations. So, for those planning to study in the UK, in addition to the tuition fees, you need to ensure that you have enough funds for your daily expenses.

As a general guide, at the London School of Business and Finance we recommend you have approximately £10,000 per year. This should cover:

· Accommodation
· Heating
· Lighting
· Food
· Clothing
· Books
· Daily travel
· Entertainment

International students (non EEA students) should know that when applying for a Visa, the immigration officer will want to see that you have enough funds to accommodate and support yourself for the duration of your course without recourse to any public funds.

We hope that helps.

Best regards,
LSBF Social Media Team
How exactly do you prove to be a good roommate?

I assume minimal bad/annoying habits?

You apply, then you're called for an interview. In the interview, it's very similar to a job interview with competency based questions and a roleplay.

I know it may seem unfair but we choose to go out of halls for a reason, and that is that we don't want to get stuck with roomies who choose to do their own thing and **** our rules.

Original post by lyrical_lie

I know, competition for apartments/flat shares/house shares is huge :frown:
Reply 34
Thanks everyone has been really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending