The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Cost of Living at UoB

Hi there,

I'm a fresher and have just been a little thrown by this particular page concerning 'average' living costs at Bath. Most things seemed fine price wise, except for food (£40 weekly) and sports/social (£40 weekly). I understand that food could end up costing this much if one doesn't cook for them self much, but surely £40 otherwise is a little excessive?

I'm in the Quads, so I'm assuming that with my catering credit I basically have my lunch or breakfast (one of the two) covered each day with the £25 per week allowance. (If it could be used in the supermarket on campus, I would wager that I could cover both, but I can't :frown: .) On top of that, I'd assume supermarket shopping for meals I'd cook for myself (basically cereals/toast in the morning and fairly cheap meals - eg cook four servings and freeze three - in the evening) would only amount to around ~£25 per week also. I know that adds to £50 rather than £40, but what I'm getting at is that if I was wholly self-catered and I made my own lunches (for a fraction of the price I'll be paying at the eateries with my card), surely the total cost for food would be nearer to £30 a week? (Just considering my second year.)

Also, in terms of the sports and social costs: I'd probably expect to go out once or twice a week (that could be anything from just going to the SU bar to clubbing) tops throughout most of the year (I have a separate budget for freshers), and I only really plan to go to the gym (£259 p/a = ~£6.8 p/w) rather than play a competitive team sport. Would I seriously be spending £40 per week on both? Again, I'd say ~£30 a week would be more reasonable.

Final, most important question, does the SU bar do discounted pints/other drinks? If so, the second budget will go a lot further, haha.

It would be really great if any current students could tell me whether I'm being unreasonable here!

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Pro Crastination

but surely £40 otherwise is a little excessive?

Probably a little. I was in Solsbury last year and was spending around £30-35 a week on food. Definitely could have spent around £10 less a week if I wanted to but fortunately I could afford the luxury of meat etc. I'd say most people I know were spending in the range of £25-35 every week.

I'm in the Quads, so I'm assuming that with my catering credit I basically have my lunch or breakfast (one of the two) covered each day with the £25 per week allowance. (If it could be used in the supermarket on campus, I would wager that I could cover both, but I can't :frown: .) On top of that, I'd assume supermarket shopping for meals I'd cook for myself (basically cereals/toast in the morning and fairly cheap meals - eg cook four servings and freeze three - in the evening) would only amount to around ~£25 per week also. I know that adds to £50 rather than £40, but what I'm getting at is that if I was wholly self-catered and I made my own lunches (for a fraction of the price I'll be paying at the eateries with my card), surely the total cost for food would be nearer to £30 a week? (Just considering my second year.)

I think the uni have been a little sneaky here, bundling in compulsory credit with your accommodation. Obviously you'll be able to save quite a bit of time not preparing food, but it does mean you'll be spending much more on food each week than people in other accommodation unfortunately.

Also, in terms of the sports and social costs: I'd probably expect to go out once or twice a week (that could be anything from just going to the SU bar to clubbing) tops throughout most of the year (I have a separate budget for freshers), and I only really plan to go to the gym (£259 p/a = ~£6.8 p/w) rather than play a competitive team sport. Would I seriously be spending £40 per week on both? Again, I'd say ~£30 a week would be more reasonable.

You'll quite probably be paying that amount (£40) before you learn how to pre-drink properly :wink: As the months go on you'll find yourself paying less and less if it was anything like my experience.

Final, most important question, does the SU bar do discounted pints/other drinks? If so, the second budget will go a lot further, haha.

Yes! A pint in the SU last year was £2.50 (compared to where I'm from that's about £1.50 cheaper, though not as cheap as up north). There's happy hour on Fridays from 4-8pm, where you can get 2 pints for £2.50 which is a great deal. Definitely make use of that!
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hi there,

I'm a fresher and have just been a little thrown by this particular page concerning 'average' living costs at Bath. Most things seemed fine price wise, except for food (£40 weekly) and sports/social (£40 weekly). I understand that food could end up costing this much if one doesn't cook for them self much, but surely £40 otherwise is a little excessive?

It would be really great if any current students could tell me whether I'm being unreasonable here!

Thanks!

The main influence on food costs is your diet. If you're an average male, eat a lot of meat and do a lot of sport then you'll spend far more than if you were a 5 foot vegetarian girl.

£40 per week on sports is very OTT in my opinion, most sports are free to do with the exception of venue-booking activities like snowsports, hang gliding etc.

The SU bar & parade both do happy hour drinks, and there are several pubs in town that do great drink deals on certain days or with certain sports memberships, in the £1 pint region!

In my 1st year I was budgeting £70 per week for everything, which was food, drinking and going out. By 4th year work took over a lot more and I was on £50 per week, and would have been a lot lower if I made sandwiches instead of buying meal deals twice a day..
Original post by Architecture-er
The main influence on food costs is your diet. If you're an average male, eat a lot of meat and do a lot of sport then you'll spend far more than if you were a 5 foot vegetarian girl.

£40 per week on sports is very OTT in my opinion, most sports are free to do with the exception of venue-booking activities like snowsports, hang gliding etc.

The SU bar & parade both do happy hour drinks, and there are several pubs in town that do great drink deals on certain days or with certain sports memberships, in the £1 pint region!

In my 1st year I was budgeting £70 per week for everything, which was food, drinking and going out. By 4th year work took over a lot more and I was on £50 per week, and would have been a lot lower if I made sandwiches instead of buying meal deals twice a day..

Thanks for that!

My diet is a little odd, I'm not 100% veggie in the sense that I eat meat when it would otherwise be an inconvenience for others - if someone is doing a BBQ for instance, or if there really isn't anything else that appeals to me. Otherwise, I use Quorn, in sandwiches, in evening meals etc. I probably only eat real meat maybe once or twice a month - I don't think I'd cook it for myself at all. So I'm hoping that might keep costs down.

As long as I can keep social/sport spending below £30 a week I think things will just about add up now. I don't really expect to spend much on sport at all other than the initial gym membership fee - which I've accounted for externally. I'll see, I suppose.

Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest