The Student Room Group

extenuating circumstances

Hi, I'm currently retaking year 13 after being unable to get the required grades I needed for uni (for dentistry). However I think extenuating circumstances contributed to this, I was just wondering how I would notify the university that I'm retaking due to extenuating circumstances. Thanks
Original post by bladex
Hi, I'm currently retaking year 13 after being unable to get the required grades I needed for uni (for dentistry). However I think extenuating circumstances contributed to this, I was just wondering how I would notify the university that I'm retaking due to extenuating circumstances. Thanks

It would go in your reference. However, if you applied for extenuating circumstances when you sat your exams, any consideration will have been applied when calculating your grade and you can't claim it twice.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It would go in your reference. However, if you applied for extenuating circumstances when you sat your exams, any consideration will have been applied when calculating your grade and you can't claim it twice.

So whoever writes my reference should put it in.and no I didn't apply for it during my exams. Is that a problem? Thanks for your reply!!
Original post by bladex
So whoever writes my reference should put it in.and no I didn't apply for it during my exams. Is that a problem? Thanks for your reply!!

Yes, your referee's job is to put your case as positively as possible. I don't know what your circumstances are, but universities will need convincing that these circumstances which you are only now mentioning, as opposed to at the time, had any bearing on your results, especially for something as competitive as dentistry where resits are usually the kiss of death. You will need to have a serious discussion with your referee about what they are going to say and I'd suggest you call up a university or two and ask them in general if it is worth applying in your situation.
Reply 4
Yes, your referee's job is to put your case as positively as possible. I don't know what your circumstances are, but universities will need convincing that these circumstances which you are only now mentioning, as opposed to at the time, had any bearing on your results, especially for something as competitive as dentistry where resits are usually the kiss of death. You will need to have a serious discussion with your referee about what they are going to say and I'd suggest you call up a university or two and ask them in general if it is worth applying in your situation.

Do I need to submit any evidence I have because my extenuating circumstances is due to a medical reason because surely anybody could just put they are ill? Sorry if I'm being really stupid but I don't know how it works I've looked on websites and it doesn't make any sense really. Thankyou.
Original post by bladex
Do I need to submit any evidence I have because my extenuating circumstances is due to a medical reason because surely anybody could just put they are ill? Sorry if I'm being really stupid but I don't know how it works I've looked on websites and it doesn't make any sense really. Thankyou.

For extenuating circumstances in exams, you have to supply the relevant medical notes to the exams officers in advance of the exams. For references, the school is certifying in agreeing to process your application under their name that they have been satisfied, through the means of medical notes or other involvement with the appropriate personnel, that your case is genuine. You need therefore to discuss with your school what they are prepared to say on your behalf.
Reply 6
For extenuating circumstances in exams, you have to supply the relevant medical notes to the exams officers in advance of the exams. For references, the school is certifying in agreeing to process your application under their name that they have been satisfied, through the means of medical notes or other involvement with the appropriate personnel, that your case is genuine. You need therefore to discuss with your school what they are prepared to say on your behalf.

Alright that makes sense thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending