The Student Room Group

VW polo 1.2, Skoda Fabia Hatchback 1.2, Fiat Panda 1.1, or Fiat Punto 1.2

Cars listed above are cheap for insurance. Fiat Panda is cheapest saving around £300 compared to other cars.

The budget is around £1000-2000. I just need to have a car that won't break down within a year as I'll be earning money after a year.

I've heard that fiat panda is most reliable and IMO most practical but they're really ugly compared to other cars :/

Which one would you pick?
The Polo or Fabia to be honest......fabia is just a polo underneath and far cheaper then its VW counterpart, downside is the looks a bit.
Reply 2
Which models of these are you looking at? I presume we're talking around 10 years old, and in that case you'll always be fixing little things no matter what, running a car is not cheap (a lesson I've learnt myself). I have a VW Polo 1.4, similar to the 1.2 just has a bit more punch. I like it, I bought it for £1,500 (most of them have air con which is an absolute God sent in the summer) and its a nice comfy ride. So far I've had to spend around an extra £500 fixing things on it, but overall much better than getting on a sweaty train and as everyone knows having a car is much more convenient.

So yeah, VW = good make and the other car from that list I'd say you should look closely at is the Punto 1.2. For me personally, my decision came down to either a Punto or Polo and I went for the Polo because I've heard more good things about it + the punto's didn't have air con (or it was rare or I was just bad at looking :tongue:)

Good luck
The Panda but I'd have a 1.2l model instead.

Had one up until last year it was a good car. £2k will buy you one that is in very good condition where the same money would only buy you an average condition and probably older and higher mileage examples of the other cars.
Reply 4
I'd go for the Fabia. Same as the Polo but without the Dub tax.
I used to have a Punto, it was good, and I now have a Panda. Agree with the above user, because they're not as popular you can get really good condition. Mine is less than 10 years old, less than 55k mileage etc and was 1650.
Reply 6
I can find '06-'08 Skoda Fabia and Fiat Panda cars between £1000 and £2000. Before anyone else asks, I'll get them inspected before buying. There's usually 60k-80k on the clock already.
Original post by Rtcw
I can find '06-'08 Skoda Fabia and Fiat Panda cars between £1000 and £2000. Before anyone else asks, I'll get them inspected before buying. There's usually 60k-80k on the clock already.

Fabia, great car.....if buying around the 60-70k check if its had its major service done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending