The Student Room Group

How useful are some postgraduate degrees?

Not trying to be disheartening but honestly what can you do a with a masters in medieval history?
Original post by Yux
Not trying to be disheartening but honestly what can you do a with a masters in medieval history?

A Phd and then teaching/lecturing , beyond that it isn't particularly helpful for employment, but some people want to do a masters for the sake of learning.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
A Phd and then teaching/lecturing , beyond that it isn't particularly helpful for employment, but some people want to do a masters for the sake of learning.

Yeah, thats probably true. Some master degrees cost 10000 or more just for the single year so those degrees are probably worth it i.e science related, maths related, economics based or even "practical" degrees but humanity related subjects probably have less worth?
Original post by Yux
Yeah, thats probably true. Some master degrees cost 10000 or more just for the single year so those degrees are probably worth it i.e science related, maths related, economics based or even "practical" degrees but humanity related subjects probably have less worth?

I don't know enough about if/how an MSc can help with employment prospects. There are some areas where a humanities masters can help with employment- NATO for instance requires one for their internship programme and the UN requires them for many of their jobs above entry level.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
I don't know enough about if/how an MSc can help with employment prospects. There are some areas where a humanities masters can help with employment- NATO for instance requires one for their internship programme and the UN requires them for many of their jobs above entry level.

perhaps it also depends on the MA then? for humanities related subject

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending