The Student Room Group

Is Reality Television Killing Culture?

As of late, television channels have been spouting reams of rubbish in the form of reality TV shows. Some of the most dominant being programmes such as Big Brother, X factor, Jersey Shore, Geordie Shore and the dreaded Jeremy VILE show.

The main reason why reality television shows are so fashionable at the moment is that they are cheap and require very little effort to create. There is no need to pay for a professional actor, no need to write a script, no need to muster up an ounce of creativity.

Any talentless fool can appear on the television as long as they have a visually enticing body and/or are willing to humiliate themselves. And if there is one thing I have learnt, it is that humiliation sells. Most humans enjoy watching other humans suffer/be humiliated. This is something that television executives have latched onto and exploited to an excruciating degree. Sometimes, those who are clearly mentally/emotionally troubled are exhibited on our television screens where they are often laughed at, mocked and bullied.

In most cases, reality 'stars' are famous simply for the sake of being famous. These individuals are popular for their public life and nothing else, which is quite sad for the future of culture and humanity. Mostly because much of the current generation of young people look to these undeserving celebrities as role models... which is a frighting thought.

Ultimately:

What is your stance on reality television?
Is it mind numbingly dull?
Is it enjoyable?
Is it harming us in a cultural/intellectual way?
Is it moral?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People are forgetting to live their lives because they are busy watching other people doing it.
Reply 2
Original post by Mackay
People are forgetting to live their lives because they are busy watching other people doing it.

Precisely.
Reply 3
Reality television is as bad as it gets. I'm glad I can say that I've never seen an episode of Jersey/Geordie Shore, 'TOWIE' and the likes.

Just seeing adverts for them makes me angry. Thinking that the people in them are making all that money for showing how much of a **** they are on a camera. It's sickening.

To be honest, I consider those that watch shows like that to be a bit brain-dead.
Reality TV is a great way to switch off after a day of hard work. :smile: & things like the strategy/gameplay on Survivor & Big Brother US are quite enjoyable for me. There's absolutely nothing wrong with reality TV as a subsection of the media but if the entirety of the media was just reality TV I would be a bit worried.
Reply 5
I agree that reality TV can sometimes be a good escape for people after a tiring day when you want to watch something where you don't have to concentrate fully on what's been said or a complicated plot but it really worries me that there are people who get so lost and absorbed in the small self-dramas that crop up on the shows that they dismiss what's really going on in the world.
No, Reality TV isn't killing culture because the kinds of people who watch it wouldn't be bothered to either appreciate or contribute to it anyway.
I used to watch them but now I find all of them dull and I find it worrying that really young people around 15 yrs old are watching it and copy what they see. For some reason some reality tv stars are famous for being stupid. What kind of message is that giving? :O
Dull shows for dull people
Reply 9
Thanks to the reality genre, I would say television has been dead since it's arrival in the early 00s. A few good shows here and there when I'm a Celeb or Big Brother isn't on, but it's mostly rubbish overall compared with the kind of stuff we grew up with from decades gone by.

Original post by TroyAndAbed
Reality TV is a great way to switch off after a day of hard work. :smile: & things like the strategy/gameplay on Survivor & Big Brother US are quite enjoyable for me. There's absolutely nothing wrong with reality TV as a subsection of the media but if the entirety of the media was just reality TV I would be a bit worried.

lol, I remember conversing with you about The Raid movie. Looks like your taste in film matches your taste in TV shows.
Original post by noggins
lol, I remember conversing with you about The Raid movie. Looks like your taste in film matches your taste in TV shows.

Looks like you're just as much of dickhead when discussing TV as you are when discussing films. :smile: Who even are you? So I love one of the most critically acclaimed action films of recent years and I enjoy watching reality TV occasionally as mindless entertainment. What's your point?
(edited 9 years ago)
Looks like you're just as much of dickhead when discussing TV as you are when discussing films. :smile: Who even are you? So I love one of the most critically acclaimed action films of recent years and I enjoy watching reality TV occasionally as mindless entertainment. What's your point?

If you were around here 5 years ago you'd know who I am. Well, the point is kids like you have destroyed movie and TV show standards by tuning in to them or buying the DVD. Critically acclaimed... don't make me laugh. By the lads mags? Every review I've read by respectable film critics have said it's a scriptless, vacuous action flick.
I don't know about killing culture, but reality TV sure is killing TV

Seems like every channel is cashing in these days. It's a sad state of affairs when so-called "documentary channels" have flagship shows like "Shark-week"
You're all mad, reality TV is excellent and I wish Gogglebox was on everynight.
Original post by noggins
If you were around here 5 years ago you'd know who I am. Well, the point is kids like you have destroyed movie and TV show standards by tuning in to them or buying the DVD. Critically acclaimed... don't make me laugh. By the lads mags? Every review I've read by respectable film critics have said it's a scriptless, vacuous action flick.

Metacritic - 26 positive reviews, 3 mixed & 2 negative. Your personal vendetta against The Raid is blinding you to the facts.

& TV is in a far better place than it has ever been. This is the golden age of television with the medium finally starting to gain respect as a platform for serious storytelling that allows depth film could only wish for. I don't get where the heck you get your ridiculous opinions from.
Original post by And then...
You're all mad, reality TV is excellent and I wish Gogglebox was on everynight.

Gogglebox is quality TV. :smile:
x-factor is totally scripted.

though i agree about some of these shows like TOWIE and my personal dread shiver factor take me out.
Original post by Shambles77
As of late, television channels have been spouting reams of rubbish in the form of reality TV shows. Some of the most dominant being programmes such as Big Brother, X factor, Jersey Shore, Geordie Shore and the dreaded Jeremy VILE show.

The main reason why reality television shows are so fashionable at the moment is that they are cheap and require very little effort to create. There is no need to pay for a professional actor, no need to write a script, no need to muster up an ounce of creativity.

Any talentless fool can appear on the television as long as they have a visually enticing body and/or are willing to humiliate themselves. And if there is one thing I have learnt, it is that humiliation sells. Most humans enjoy watching other humans suffer/be humiliated. This is something that television executives have latched onto and exploited to an excruciating degree. Sometimes, those who are clearly mentally/emotionally troubled are exhibited on our television screens where they are often laughed at, mocked and bullied.

In most cases, reality 'stars' are famous simply for the sake of being famous. These individuals are popular for their public life and nothing else, which is quite sad for the future of culture and humanity. Mostly because much of the current generation of young people look to these undeserving celebrities as role models... which is a frighting thought.

Ultimately:

Is it enjoyable?
Is it moral?

Before these wretched programmes were inflicted on us it was a common sight for the villagers in bear™'s village to gather on the green each evening clutching foaming tankards of local ale. They would sing the folk songs of yore and watch the young swains and maidens performing the ancient dances around the Maypole and try to navigate the Turf Maze.
Now the Maypole has been cut down by the local feminist group as an oppressive phallic symbol. The Turf Maze has been dug up as it was not wheelchair-friendly, and was confusing for those with cognitive difficulties.
Gogglebox is quality TV. :smile:

You're the only person talking sense in this thread anyway.
Original post by Shambles77

Ultimately:

Is it enjoyable?
Is it moral?

There has always been ****, mawkish, lowest common denominator tv on. Made by morons, watched by morons.

If you don't like it, do what I do and don't watch it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending