The Student Room Group

Applying IHEID

I am applying to IHEID in Geneva. I wondered if anyone else is doing so, as well, and would like to trade information.

All best--
Reply 1
Hey, yes I have applied as well - for the MIA. What about you?
Reply 2
I haven't applied, yet. Did you learn anything from the process. I heard from someone with an office there, but not on apart of the school, that some of the newer programs were shaky. I am unsure which program for which i wish to apply.
Reply 3
I think there are some issues with the school at the moment in general, for example they have raised tuition fees so that they can offer more electives. I have also heard that the interdisciplinary programmes are less rigorous than the disciplinary ones; but I am very interested in the course and track 2 (conflict and peacebuilding) and that way I'd have time to do an internship during my studies too. Which programme would you want to apply for?
Reply 4
May I ask you how you found that out about MIA? I cannot decide about MiA or Sociology/ Anthropology. I have yet looked at the online open house, so am unsure what is involved in the application in the way of a project, or contacting advisors. Also, I don't know which is more difficult to enter--my background isn't in political science and Europe seems to be stricter about this matter than the U.S.

Are you looking anywhere else? I am from Ohio in the State. And you? Thanks for writing; I have have been searching for someone with whom to talk.
Reply 5
I can't remember how I found out about the school, but I just looked at their programmes online and decided the courses for the MIA looked the best. I have been studying Peace and Conflict and been doing a few internships in the field so I have a pretty clear idea on where I want to end up. I'd say just keep looking at the courses and maybe at the profiles of alumni to see where they ended up and if that interests you. I have a feeling it might be difficult to get into a disciplinary master's if you don'd have a background in the field - but I don't really know! What is your background in?

For the application, all you need to do is fill out the online application form and upload your documents (CV, transcripts of your Bachelor's degree etc.). And you have to write a letter of motivation (which is only up to 1000 words). You also need to put in the contact details of two referees, who will then be contacted to write you a recommendation letter through the online system. Hope this helps?

I have in the past applied to LSE but then didn't go because I didn't have enough money saved up for the tuition fees. I might apply there again if I don't get accepted at IHEID in the first round. Am also thinking of Oxford. What about you?

I'm from Switzerland but have been living in Australia for the last six years. So it would be nice going back home again for a few years..
Reply 6
Yes, this is going to be a tough call for me. At your encouragement, i looked at the prerequisites for the MIA. They say they are looking of a social science degree, but a high record in another field might do. I am unsure what this will mean in my case. Actually, I have a Actually, I have an undergraduate in music and a PhD in English. My experience is actually much broader than it seems, but if they just look at degrees, I agree with you that the classes in MIA look more interesting, but I am unsure how much I want to roll the dice on something that will look to them as irrelevant. (I have the record, but I need money and don't want to be at the bottom of the pile.)

Probably, my case for Soci/ Antro is cleaner, but then you get into this problem where you write a proposal and they may or may not have someone who is in a position to advise it.

So I wish I knew what to do, but, then, I haven't and a chance to get into the details (I picked the most difficult ones first). Thank you for telling me what I needed to know about applying (It is on my list to look at what is required for SciencePO, which is much inviting people from other disciplines, but not in the one in which i am interested. Unlike IHEID, it is indecipherable and the response I just received only made it worse. However, it seem like a place you might want to investigate.)

How wonderful you have lived in such wonderful places. I am quite jealous, and very much hope to meet you at IHEID. Geneva sound lovely. I am unsure which programs to which you refer at LSE and Oxford. I am considering geography at LSE; I couldn't find anything at Oxford but Development Studies and I have become disenchanted with it. I have to say, I have been treated very differently in Europe that the U.S. I unsure what to make of it. I am now considering Durham in the UK.

What have you been doing in Austraia?
Reply 7
Thanks for letting me know! SciencesPo sounds like a great school, but when I had a look at their website I couldn't find a programme I was really passionate about. At LSE, I would re-apply for the Master of Conflict Studies and at Oxford for the Master of African Studies.

Sounds like you'd have a good chance at IHEID though! They seem to especially value academic achievement, which you obviously have with a PhD! :smile:

What is the different treatment between Europe and the US? The US has some great schools and I'd love to go there, but there's no way I could pay the tuition fees!

I moved to Australia because I had met a guy (now my husband) and I had just finished college and wanted to go to uni. So I ended up at the University of Queensland, where I did my degree in Peace and Conflict Studies.
Reply 8
I was so tired last night I am afraid I was completely inarticulate (even today i only had two hours of sleep). Frankly, finding the right places to apply has been a long learning curve. Originally, i thought I would take my second PhD in Geography, but they do a lot of theoretical work that, bizarrely, is rather similar to what I had in my English PhD (philosophers in cultural studies). I find institutes like IHEID and SciencePo to be more interesting in that they are directed toward public service (or so I hope). SciencePo also seems to be changing a good bit of their program, and I am unsure what this means. As with you, I had a difficult time finding a degree about which I was really excited. The only course list I really liked was international relations, but I am afraid it is taught in French and my French isn't nearly up to a degree. I keep writing e-mails that go unanswered; eventually, I suppose I will find out what they require in the way of language.

Should you be interested in going to school in the U.S., you shouldn't let tuition deter you. Most schools have some sort of funding that includes a stipend. Having spent so much time on U.S. campuses, I would like to do my international training in Europe, but you, of course, are coming from the opposite direction. In any case, i never would have been able to pay for my graduate degrees without funding. The degrees I took do not lead to jobs.

And, yes, after doing some reading, I think you are right about the disciplinary programs being difficult to enter without a prior degree in the area. The peacekeeping track of MIA really does look exciting. I wondered how you originally came across this area (it is my feeling we are weak in this area in the U.S.--generally, the work fall under some sort of political science aegis. May I ask what sort of internships you held and what it is you wish to do? It makes a certain sense to me that one commits at least part of their studies in some sort of introspection before entering the public world. However, I am unsure i will be able to sell this to the programs to which I am applying.

Thank you again for all your great information and help!
Reply 9
Oh, not receiving replies would put me off personally! :smile: I always feel like that's an indication of how well the programme will be run (which of course could be completely wrong!). If you're interested in doing another PhD, you could consider Australia too: here, you don'd do coursework with a PhD, but you focus on your thesis and getting published - depending on what you'd like to get out of another degree, that could be an option?

I think depending on where you want to go after another postgrad degree, you can definitely sell yourself with your interesting background. For example, I know there are people who look at local peacebuilding initiatives through music. And then you can use the fact that you have a PhD as proof of your high academic achievements, which IHEID seems to value more than some other schools, which tend to value work experience more.

I have always bee interested in international politics and when I came to Australia, my university offered a major in Peace and Conflict Studies; I became interested in the prevention of mass atrocity crimes (genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity and ethnic cleansing) and this is where I would like to end up in. I have done some internships with local organisations and one with the Global Centre for the Responsibility to Protect in New York, which is an NGO that works closely with UN Security Council members in preventing and stopping mass atrocity crimes. Currently, I am working on my Honours thesis (similar to a Master's thesis in Europe) on peacekeeping in Africa.
Reply 10
Hey, I have applied as well! Where are you from?
Such ambitious and nobel work--I am not sure I know what sort of institution or position allows one to work on the prevention of mass atrocity. Then Africa is such an enormous matter. For a while I thought I might go the route of development studies; it seemed as if you almost had to have an interest in Africa if you wanted to follow that academic path. But just finding the right way to hold the problem of preventing mass atrocity has the potential to lead to a beautiful piece of thought. It a worthy ambition and touches the core of other matters.

I appreciate your encouragement and the practical reference. Actually, my first idea was to go to the Canada or the UK to do a PhD that wouldn't require classwork (U.S. schools require a great deal). I fell ill just after finishing my PhD, became caught in an exploitive teaching job, and thought a change such as funding to write something new would be a gentle way of transitioning into a new direction. I learned a lot of practical things, one of which was how much I underestimated the difference between English-speaking countries. In the social sciences in CA or the UK (I expect Australia), you need to win an advisor before you can even apply to the program; yet, the advisors seem to want you to work on exactly the same topic on which they work. For me this led to a good deal of frustration. For one thing, i would read through the list of dissertation titles, and they seemed unimaginably dull. Then it was not only that you are doing someone else's work (something i saw happen from inside my own graduate experience), but these topics and structures of thought were a large part of the problem. On the social science end of academia, there were a lot of "niche" oriented people doing small things to get published, not actually solving or preventing problems.

I went through stages: investigating international institutions myriad in bureaucracy; talking to NGO's all competing for the same dollar; and then--what seemed like the most effective work--an individual here-and-there who had seen enough and, along with a friend or two, would help a few people. The latter couldn't help many, but the fortunate few they reached they saw through to the end. As you say there are very successful music programs--such as El Sistema in Venezuela, that has had tremendous success saving children and teenager, as well as creating genuinely fine musicians--but I think we need more fresh ideas and larger thinking, rather than spade work such as I see in universities in lieu of trying to put together a new picture of the world. Last year, I dreamed up a couple of proposals and knocked on doors, so to speak. I found one well-known school where someone said I should have his job, but then they lost my application, then found it and said it wasn't geography; others said it looked good, but it wasn't their work; and then the more conservative departments, who, in so many words, would tell me it wasn't how they did things there. So the PhD route was disheartening . . .

it took me a long time to find IHIED, and i don't know if it is the right place. Tonight i was reading that there wasn't much you could do with a degree such as an MIA, but I find it better than the alliterative and would be very pleased to meet like-minded people such as yourself. But i am tired and am ranting . . . very sorry. It seems as if you are pleased in your program and that is heartening. i am glad they are supporting worthwhile work. Now I remember I did look in Austraila, but couldn't find funding for graduate students.
Reply 12
Hey SortingItOut, just letting you know that there is another thread going on GradCafe re IHEID admissions: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/59644-iheid-masters-2015/
Grad888--thanks so much! Will look for you there.

QUOTE=Grad888;51872745]Hey SortingItOut, just letting you know that there is another thread going on GradCafe re IHEID admissions: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/59644-iheid-masters-2015/
Reply 14
I am planning to take MA International History at IHEID. Any reviews?
Reply 15
UP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending