The Student Room Group

University courses i could do with these As subjects?

I am doing maths, chemistry, biology and philosophy. Depending on how well i do at my As levels, i may be able to do all of them at A2. So, what university courses can i take? It would be great if you could tell me what the course is about. Very much appriciated.
Reply 1
It seems like you're a really scientific person, and you enjoy working with numbers. In terms of choices, you can obviously do chemistry, maths and biology. Engineering or something construction based might be worth considering; the maths will definitely help you with that and I believe there is a huge national skill shortage in that sector and will be for a few years.
You'll have philosophy and maths a-levels would be really useful for psychology. I'm a psychology graduate myself but I wouldn't recommend taking it, just because how competive the jobs market is.
Have you consider doing some kind of medical course? You've got the a-levels for it.
You could even do sport science, that's if you're a sporty person.

So I'd say engineering, psychology, medical and psychology are ones worth considering.
Reply 2
Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much. I was also thinking something medical but my GCSE grades are very bad. There is still a possibility if i do alot activities outside of college as well as get top notch as grades, but its not a sure thing.
Reply 3
Yeah medical courses do require really good grades generally. Its not uncommon to see courses requiring AAA. That's a good idea, maybe you could volunteer in a hospital or care home to try and gain some experience that way in order to make up for your GCSE's. What GCSEs did you get, if you don't mind me asking? My university didn't even ask for mine. You could say you're a late bloomer, academically, and that you find the independent learning environment at college more conducive to your development.
Reply 4
Posted from TSR Mobile
1A* 4bs maybe 5 after remark. 1c and 1d english is possible b maths and science b
Reply 5
Medical courses are grossly competitive, and if it's not something you're that committed to doing then it's likely not going to yield great success.

Any kind of chemical or biological science is available to you. Can be as general as biology, or chemistry, but also more specific to things like neuroscience, or environmental chemistry courses. I did maths, biol, and chem to A2. Heading into fourth year chemistry now.

You still have the option of anything with generic requirements - so even things like law. Strong performance in maths keep economics wide open, psychology is there because you have a strong science foundation.

You've only just started, so i'm sure you'll eliminate a few options as the year goes on - I didn't want to do a maths degree, for instance. I like using maths, but not as a sole degree subject. Turned out I didn't like biology at college, so chemistry ended up being the prime candidate for further study, and obviously I quite liked it.
Reply 6
Original post by Nymthae
Medical courses are grossly competitive, and if it's not something you're that committed to doing then it's likely not going to yield great success.

Any kind of chemical or biological science is available to you. Can be as general as biology, or chemistry, but also more specific to things like neuroscience, or environmental chemistry courses. I did maths, biol, and chem to A2. Heading into fourth year chemistry now.

You still have the option of anything with generic requirements - so even things like law. Strong performance in maths keep economics wide open, psychology is there because you have a strong science foundation.

You've only just started, so i'm sure you'll eliminate a few options as the year goes on - I didn't want to do a maths degree, for instance. I like using maths, but not as a sole degree subject. Turned out I didn't like biology at college, so chemistry ended up being the prime candidate for further study, and obviously I quite liked it.

That was very helpful. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest