The Student Room Group

English for medicine

Hi all,

Does anyone know if English First Language and English Second Language are considered like 2 different subjects In IGCSE for EU students studying abroad?

Thank you!
No, either english is your 2nd language or it is your first language; the unis will only consider the one that correctly applies to your situation.
Reply 2
Original post by the_queen
Hi all,

Does anyone know if English First Language and English Second Language are considered like 2 different subjects In IGCSE for EU students studying abroad?

Thank you!

You may need to take IELTS or another English test. You'll probably be expected to have taken English at age 15/16 in your own country's qualification at that age. I don't know how these requirements might change if you took GCSE English (as a First Language).

Edit: Did some googling and here is Bristol's Profile A (applicable to Medicine):

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/language-requirements/profile-a.html

I can't work out if it's a case of either doing eg IELTS with the required grade or eg GCSE English and getting an A* (I think this is the deal) - but there's also the country-specific 'required' qualifications - and I don't know whether you have to have done these in addition to one of the former. Either way it might give you an idea of how med schools might expect you to prove your English ability.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you for reply.

I ask this question because I am in a school that offers 7 IGCSE subjects only. Maybe I could have 8 subjects if I take English First Language?
Reply 4
Original post by the_queen
Thank you for reply.

I ask this question because I am in a school that offers 7 IGCSE subjects only. Maybe I could have 8 subjects if I take English First Language?

You'll only get a real answer by emailing any and all med schools you'd like to apply to and asking how your situation fits the entry requirements (and how they choose who to invite to interview).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending