The Student Room Group

Oscar Pistorius cleared of murder, guilty of culpable homicide

'BBC News'
The judge in the Oscar Pistorius trial has ruled out all murder charges, but says he may still be guilty of culpable homicide (manslaughter).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29143540
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think that's ridiculous. But hey, what do I know :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Changing Skies
I think that's ridiculous. But hey, what do I know :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So do I, but he's not out the deep end yet. Surely he has to be charged with manslaughter. How could he possibly be acquitted altogether?
(edited 9 years ago)
I think he'll be acquitted
It was always going to be difficult to prove murder.
I'm amazed this has happened but I can't see how he won't get culpable homicide.
Reply 6
Cant believe he walks away scot free pardon the pun
Reply 7
tbh I was surprised he got away with it...but hey maybe it was genuinely an accident only he knows for sure lol
Seriously....

Is it just me or if you go into a bathroom where someone is hiding inside a locked cubicle and fire off multiple rounds through the door, you surely know odds are you'll kill whoever is in there? If the person was hiding in the wardrobe right near his bed when we woke up and he grabbed for the gun on a bedside table I'd understand, but he had to move from the bedroom to the bathroom, work out that someone was hiding in the toilet, then decide to fire off rounds, he didn't shout at them, didn't fire a single warning shot below the door and say he'd called the police, he obviously just wanted to shoot them.
I know little about law, but is this normal that a judge talks for 20 minutes, goes for lunch. Talks for 10 minutes, then finishes for the day? What the hell? How does anything ever get done.
I'm not surprised about anything in the South African Legal system. This is a nation where you can kill someone on your land and pay off the police to turn a blind eye. It is corrupt beyond belief. The entire legal system is corrupt, rich people don't go to prison, especially those who are a national treasure.
Original post by RYAN1872
Cant believe he walks away scot free pardon the pun

He won't yet, this several more crimes he can be found guilty of.
Reply 12
Original post by james22
He won't yet, this several more crimes he can be found guilty of.

i hope that happens then
i bet he meant to kill her tho
Reply 14
So many threads.
Original post by Makaveli_The_Don
i bet he meant to kill her tho

I think so too .... I'm disgusted that the judge has ruled out homicide.
Reply 16
Original post by joey11223
Seriously....

Is it just me or if you go into a bathroom where someone is hiding inside a locked cubicle and fire off multiple rounds through the door, you surely know odds are you'll kill whoever is in there? If the person was hiding in the wardrobe right near his bed when we woke up and he grabbed for the gun on a bedside table I'd understand, but he had to move from the bedroom to the bathroom, work out that someone was hiding in the toilet, then decide to fire off rounds, he didn't shout at them, didn't fire a single warning shot below the door and say he'd called the police, he obviously just wanted to shoot them.

I agree, surprised he didn't get charged with premeditated murder although fair play he might have done it and realised it was an accident.

Original post by Made in Tyrone
I think so too .... I'm disgusted that the judge has ruled out homicide.

She hasn't ruled it out at all... she said wait till tomorrow.
It's South Africa. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't him (that he didn't think it was his gf I mean).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
That it happened at all is horrendous and awful, but it is what it is. Given the evidence (that I know of) I think the judge was right in ruling that it wasn't premeditated. That said, an acquittal would be ridiculous - whether he planned it or not, he still shot someone hiding behind a bathroom door.

Original post by DiddyDec
I'm not surprised about anything in the South African Legal system. This is a nation where you can kill someone on your land and pay off the police to turn a blind eye. It is corrupt beyond belief. The entire legal system is corrupt, rich people don't go to prison, especially those who are a national treasure.

Original post by DErasmus
It's South Africa.

Yeah, it's corrupt. Of course it is. But I have to say, I grew up in South Africa, spent the majority of my life there, and I well remember the kind of hyper vigilance one gets used to in such circumstances. I don't condone what he did (in any way), but I can imagine how such a thing came to happen.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd like to know what insider information all these TSRians have which makes them so sure it was murder...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending