The Student Room Group

set theory help

Hi

I'm starting uni soon and I thought I would study a bit in advance so got Geoff smiths algebra and analysis book, and I'm stuck on the following questions (to be fair it does say they're harder as a warning...)

At the back it says (a) is n x 2^(n-1)... I understand n is the cardinality of Set a (n elements) but I don't know how the cardinality of S is 2^(n-1)... I thought it would be 2^n
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, P(A)\varnothing \in P(A) so I guess that rules out some of the possibilities.
Reply 2
Original post by atsruser
Well, P(A)\varnothing \in P(A) so I guess that rules out some of the possibilities.

At the back it says the cardinality of S \ {a} is 2^(n-1)... Does that mean the power set of a minus the individual elements in a? Sorry I'm a little confused and Wikipedia doesn't help much :P
Original post by hi1345
At the back it says the cardinality of S \ {a} is 2^(n-1)... Does that mean the power set of a minus the individual elements in a? Sorry I'm a little confused and Wikipedia doesn't help much :P

If S is a set of n elements, and "a" is one of those elements then S \ {a} is the set containing all the elements of S excluding a. There are n-1 elements in S \ {a}, and 2^(n-1) elements in the powerset of S \ {a}.

"a" is an element
{a} is a set of just one element - "a".
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
If S is a set of n elements, and "a" is one of those elements then S \ {a} is the set containing all the elements of S excluding a. There are n-1 elements in S \ {a}, and 2^(n-1) elements in the powerset of S \ {a}.

"a" is an element
{a} is a set of just one element - "a".

Thanks I understand pt (a) and (b) now although have no idea about (c) or (d)
Original post by hi1345
Thanks I understand pt (a) and (b) now although have no idea about (c) or (d)

Rather a big hint for c) so I'll put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler

That should give you a clue as to how to do part d) too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ghostwalker
Rather a big hint for c) so I'll put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler

That should give you a clue as to how to do part d) too.

Thanks for the clear explanation, this stuff is a lot harder than A level 😂

Quick Reply

Latest