The Student Room Group

Do MPs deserve a 9% pay rise next year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
No they to greedy and dont do much for us people nick clegg thinks that people should pay and he is only about filling his own pocket so I say no I think they get enough out of people but that is just what I think
Original post by Jammy Duel
You mean 5
Last I checked 9% of ~50=/=50

5 is still enough to fill up a few hospitals and stop unnecessary deaths. Probably a better use of the money than extra pork pies for David Cameron and friends.
Original post by ChickenMadness
5 is still enough to fill up a few hospitals and stop unnecessary deaths. Probably a better use of the money than extra pork pies for David Cameron and friends.

I'm sure an extra 1 nurse per 10 hospitals will make a massive difference...
I'm sure an extra 1 nurse per 10 hospitals will make a massive difference...

as opposed to 0 nurses yes.

Also nurses don't earn 500k. It would be more like 50-100 nurses/doctors and you could focus on 1 or 2 severely understaffed hospitals and sort them out. Save more lives.

But maybe you're right. David Cameron getting an extra 10k to spend on pork pies is probably a better use lmfao. Not like he already finds the time and money to go on holiday 3 times a year when there are important matters he's needed to attend to.

Also nurses don't earn 500k. It would be more like 50-100 nurses/doctors and you could focus on 1 or 2 severely understaffed hospitals and sort them out. Save more lives.

But maybe you're right. David Cameron getting an extra 10k to spend on pork pies is probably a better use lmfao. Not like he already finds the time and money to go on holiday 3 times a year when there are important matters he's needed to attend to.

Ummm, you failed to maths again, or do you think there are only 100 hospitals in the country?
Ummm, you failed to maths again, or do you think there are only 100 hospitals in the country?

salaries for nurses range from 21k to 100k. 50 million divided by 100k is 500. 50 to 100 new medical workers was just an estimate on the extreme low end of the scale.

So not sure how you managed to come up with 10 nurses from 50 million lol. Also not sure where your 100 hospitals comment is coming from? I said focusing on a small number of under staffed hospitals would be more beneficial than focusing on putting 1 new doctor into every single hospital in the country.

Not sure if trolling or serious.
(edited 9 years ago)
salaries for nurses range from 21k to 100k. 50 million divided by 100k is 500. 50 to 100 new medical workers was just an estimate on the extreme low end of the scale.

So not sure how you managed to come up with 10 nurses from 50 million lol. Also not sure where your 100 hospitals comment is coming from? I said focusing on a small number of under staffed hospitals would be more beneficial than focusing on putting 1 new doctor into every single hospital in the country.

And once again, 9% of 50m is not 50m.
And again, you either fail at reading comprehension or fail at maths.

Since you don't seem to understand that 10x10=100 let me make this nice and simple for you.
The extra that is going into MP salaries is APPROXIMATELY​ FIVE MILLION.
You then go on to suggest that each nurse is being paid 500,000; 5,000,000/500,000=10.
ONE IN TEN HOSPITALS
would get new nurses.
10x10=100.

If you wanted to take the MPs salaries and cut them enough to give each hospital an extra doctor you would be looking at stopping paying them, and then asking them for about £50,000 each. But then I suppose you've lost the tax revenue so you have to ask them for that too which is in the region of another £20,000; so in reality you're giving them a 200% pay cut.

Just giving them the 1% rise instead of the 9% would allow you to employ about 200 nurses, there are over 2000 hospitals, so you're giving 1 in 10 hospitals one more nurse, so those that you want to give more nurses to will get what? 1 if they're lucky?
(edited 9 years ago)
And once again, 9% of 50m is not 50m.
And again, you either fail at reading comprehension or fail at maths.

Since you don't seem to understand that 10x10=100 let me make this nice and simple for you.
The extra that is going into MP salaries is APPROXIMATELY​ FIVE MILLION.
You then go on to suggest that each nurse is being paid 500,000; 5,000,000/500,000=10.
ONE IN TEN HOSPITALS
would get new nurses.
10x10=100.

If you wanted to take the MPs salaries and cut them enough to give each hospital an extra doctor you would be looking at stopping paying them, and then asking them for about £50,000 each. But then I suppose you've lost the tax revenue so you have to ask them for that too which is in the region of another £20,000; so in reality you're giving them a 200% pay cut.

In your earlier posts you were saying 50 mil :lol:

Even so this does not change anything. You're just being pedantic. Just go back to my previous post and change all the numbers if you want. It doesn't change the argument.

You're actually ignoring all of my points and focusing on the 50 mil which you stated in the first place.

In bold to prevent tunnel vision.

Let alone more beneficial than extra pork pies for the MPs
(edited 9 years ago)
In your earlier posts you were saying 50 mil :lol:

Even so this does not change anything. You're just being pedantic. Just go back to my previous post and change all the numbers if you want. It doesn't change the argument.

You're actually ignoring all of my points and focusing on the 50 mil which you stated in the first place.

No, they said that the total pay is about 50m, which is far from saying that the increase is 50m. If you can't read that's not my problem.

And, as I said, tell me, what exactly do you plan to do with 200 nurses? A massive increase of about 0.05%!
Or if you want 1 extra GP per 100,000
No, they said that the total pay is about 50m, which is far from saying that the increase is 50m. If you can't read that's not my problem.

And, as I said, tell me, what exactly do you plan to do with 200 nurses? A massive increase of about 0.05%!
Or if you want 1 extra GP per 100,000

lol. Likewise. Please go back and reread.

lol. Likewise. Please go back and reread.

But you're saying you want to focus on a small number of hospitals. How small are you thinking? And how do you choose which ones given that they will all want more staff. And how would an extra £5m be split up in reality? Well, probably in the same proportions that they are now, so you're straight up losing about a quarter of the nurses to Scotland Ireland and Wales.
But you're saying you want to focus on a small number of hospitals. How small are you thinking? And how do you choose which ones given that they will all want more staff. And how would an extra £5m be split up in reality? Well, probably in the same proportions that they are now, so you're straight up losing about a quarter of the nurses to Scotland Ireland and Wales.

The most under staffed in the most highly populated areas would be the most logical. And why is it bad if Scotland, Ireland or Wales get nurses? They're all part of the UK.

And just small enough no. of hospitals to actually make a difference.

The salary rise isn't about paying David Cameron more, it is about encouraging people smarter than David Cameron to enter politics in the future.

People with high intellects already knows that they can earn far more in other fields and they shy away from politics, and that is why we are left with people like David Cameron in the top job. Do you really want people of below or average intellect deciding on whether or not the UK goes to war?

If politicians continue to get paid so much less than those in the private sector, we will continue to never get any real talent running the country.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
The salary rise isn't about paying David Cameron more, it is about encouraging people smarter than David Cameron to enter politics in the future.

People with high intellects already knows that they can earn far more in other fields and they shy away from politics, and that is why we are left with people like David Cameron in the top job. Do you really want people of below or average intellect deciding on whether or not the UK goes to war?

If politicians continue to get paid so much less than those in the private sector, we will continue to never get any real talent running the country.

Actually this makes sense. Seeing as most of our successful politicians are just rich kids essentially.
The most under staffed in the most highly populated areas would be the most logical. And why is it bad if Scotland, Ireland or Wales get nurses? They're all part of the UK.

And just small enough no. of hospitals to actually make a difference.

Well, you need to somehow quantify how understaffed they all are, then you have to weigh up population vs how understaffed, for example, if one hospital serves 1000 and another serves 10000, but the one serving 1000 is much more severely understaffed than the one with 10000 which takes priority? Then you need to consider how many nurses there already are, 1 extra nurse in a hospital with 10 nurses will have more impact than one with 100. Then you need to question how much impact it will actually have, suppose a hospital is claimed to be understaffed, but the "issues" causing "avoidable" deaths is to do with how the hospital is administered in some way, how will the extra nurse be worth the investment?

A better solution would probably be to try to push those who can afford it to use private healthcare rather than the NHS. Cuts NHS expenses and increases tax revenue.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein

This is implying that those at the top of the political system are not intelligent, yeah, there are people who are more intelligent but there are also a lot of people who are dumber and I wonder of those that are more intelligent how many would actually be fit for the role? How many would actually succeed in becoming a MP in the first place? How many would actually go into politics rather than doing whatever they are doing otherwise.
Well, you need to somehow quantify how understaffed they all are, then you have to weigh up population vs how understaffed, for example, if one hospital serves 1000 and another serves 10000, but the one serving 1000 is much more severely understaffed than the one with 10000 which takes priority? Then you need to consider how many nurses there already are, 1 extra nurse in a hospital with 10 nurses will have more impact than one with 100. Then you need to question how much impact it will actually have, suppose a hospital is claimed to be understaffed, but the "issues" causing "avoidable" deaths is to do with how the hospital is administered in some way, how will the extra nurse be worth the investment?

A better solution would probably be to try to push those who can afford it to use private healthcare rather than the NHS. Cuts NHS expenses and increases tax revenue.

you make it seem more complicated than it actually is. All of that information is most likely already there and wouldn't take much time to sort through. People already sort through data like that for a living in insurance and risk assessment type jobs. Extra staff will make a big difference in certain hospitals and those are the ones that should be targeted.

If you're pushing people to use private health care then you'd have to stop taxing those people for national insurance as well tbh.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Many public sector workers would receive far higher salaries in the private sector, too. :s-smilie:

I stand corrected - here and here. Thanks Rich2606.

Maybe this poor political timing more than anything else.

Original post by rich2606
No they wouldn't

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/neilobrien1/100087279/public-sector-workers-are-overpaid-and-heres-why-the-tuc-should-help-tackle-it/

"There are various measures we can use to compare the public and private sectors as a whole. These show that the public sector pay 'premium' the additional pay a typical public sector worker receives over a private sector worker is now up to 35% calculated on hourly pay, rising an extra 12% to 43% for an average public sector worker once their more generous pensions are taken into account."

MP's pay is one of the exceptions.

So a centre-right think tank finds that public sector pay is higher than private sector pay during the deepest depths (2010) of the Great Recession, where private pay was hit hard and pubic pay relatively wasn't, and you generalise that to private sector pay before and after the recession?
you make it seem more complicated than it actually is. All of that information is most likely already there and wouldn't take much time to sort through. People already sort through data like that for a living in insurance and risk assessment type jobs. Extra staff will make a big difference in certain hospitals and those are the ones that should be targeted.

Just because staffing level figures are there doesn't mean that you can easily determine which are most understaffed. And as said, even when you do get some sort of measure of how understaffed, you will still need to be weighing up all the factors. And if extra staff are going to make such a massive difference in certain hospitals why not prevent some evidence to substantiate your claims? Surely there must be case studies out there and various pieces of research.

If you're pushing people to use private health care then you'd have to stop taxing those people for national insurance as well tbh.

Why? I may never touch the state education system again, I will still be taxed for it. I may never touch the NHS again, I will still be taxed for it. What's more, if you actually look at what is payed for by NI payments, the NHS doesn't even come into it; almost 90% of it is state pensions.
All public sector workers should be having their pay slashed, including MPs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending